No announcement yet.

What newer bikes have you ridden ? Compare to GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet! I bet that sin't the one that's 1500 bucks, looks a little too shiny for that price!

Comment

Only bike I've ridden since my '78 GS750E (I've blocked my HD out of my consciousness) is my '93 BMW K75. I like it. It reminds me of my GS a lot in fit and feel. Not as blindingly fast, but not as loud with the shaft. Great quality of workmanship (those Turks can really assemble bikes). Great parts availablility (but they ain't cheap). Not as nimble as the Suzi was, but that may be tire related (I got old dry rotting tires on it). Also, seems to be a bit top heavy. Don't get me wrong, it's still fun, dependable, and looks good, but I dare say my 750E was a better "ride".

Comment

2000 Yamaha Virago 250.. It was strange to put my feet forward. The seat was low and I didn't fit on it too well. I remember pulling onto the highway and wanting to accelerate(more). I tried to twist the grip but that was all she wrote. I suppose I could have downshifted but I opted just to give up.

2004 Yamaha YZF-R6.. My cousins new bike that he had gotten about a month prior. He was going somewhere one day and I was at his house and he just said "If you want to take it for a ride, go ahead." I was very impressed with the power of this machine. It felt like it could accelerate forever. I'm used to no fairing and I didn't like that when I turned the front wheel the fairing didn't turn. That bike has been since wrecked but he should be done putting it back together at this point.

Comment

I've ridden three bikes so far in my short riding career of somewhere in the range of 4,500 miles (and climbing very rapidly):

My GZ 250 - my first bike. I learned on it, used it to pass the riding test, and have put more than 3,000 miles on it. When I was riding it for the first few months, I had nothing to base it against.

Now having ridden the other two I now know it's very flickable, but bounds a lot over bumpy corners due to soft suspension. It's confidence inspiring in that you can easily find its limits. Has no power at all really. You will not outrun anything but maybe a minivan. That's to be expected with a bike thats got 20hp and 350lb curb weight. Due to the power alone it's not as fun as the GS. If it had 50hp, that would change. 350lbs is a lot of fun.

My friend's 1996 Katana 600 - the second bike I'd ridden, it was horrific to me when I first hopped on it 3 months after I'd started riding. It was a big jump from the 20hp 350lb GZ. 86hp and 490lbs is a lot when you're inexperienced. It turns in a scary fashion at low speeds, and the power is pretty jumpy on the idle to low throttle transition.

After having gained a lot more experience, and in the meantime having gotten a chance to put a good 200 miles on the Katana, I'm convinced it's better than the GS. It feels like it has a much lower center of gravity, it flicks more easily in the corners (though it doesn't feel as stable as the GZ or GS), the powerband (though not as torquey feeling in the middle) is strong and the transmission is well ratioed. Having gotten used to it, it's not as scary in corners or on the run. It just feels more user friendly than the tall, bellowing, torquey, 550lb GS. Like I said though, the GS's stock in trade against it is stability.

Comment

other rides

Rode my buddies race-kitted GSXR-750 in the mid-nineties(95) it was only a year old...the engine seemed free reving, but had no flywheel effect, it seemed as if it had no usable torque to get it off the line, I had to slide the clutch & I seemed to have to learn a whole new technique just to get it going. The torque seemed non-existent until I was halfway up the tach where it FINALLY seemed to come alive.
            Another ride was more recent, an 83 Honda Intercepter, 750 V4..quite a mundane thing with a flat unexciting torque curve...along with an exaust note remeniscint of a lawnmower...very plain bike....nothing to write home about.(No wonder they changed the firing order to make it sound different)
            _____________________________________Rick....

Comment

THE NEWEST BIKE I'VE RIDDEN

a month ago, my two brothers and I linked up, rare because we are 1000 klms apart... that is ..V star is 1000 south and ROCKET 111 is 1000 north.
              During the early stages of our 4000 klm round trip, I tried the V star ( 2003 yam 1100 cruiser ) :? ... it was unusual to me, feet forward, etc etc. It had low down grunt, easy cornering, quite comfy after a while. 2 days later, I pushed John off his 1 week old ROCKET 111 8O ........well, what can I say...... awsome.....absolutely awesom!!! Ok, so the foot pegs were in a diferent place again, the bars were strange but WHO CARES..
              All I can say is, if you ever get 1/2 a chance to beg, borrow or steal one , take it !!!
              Honestly, we were doing 110 ks ( probably 70 mph ), I was behind the other two, about 50 yards apart, 100 all up, :twisted: when I thought about twisting the go handle a bit, geez louise, by the time I was ready to do it, I was past them both and 1/2 a mile in front !!! AND ..I hadn't changed down a cog either !!
              What do you reckon I wanted to do next ??
              Trade in......... I thought about it, while trying desperately to wipe the grin off my face, but no ........ the old girl has served me well, besides, I can't afford a parachute, let alone a rocket.
              Fairdinkum dudes,The ROCKET 111 is in a world of its' own.
              By the way, we chrisened ( spelling ? ) her " RHINO " meaning.........
              a broad arse and pure muscle.. not to mention... nothing scares it !!

Well, that's it.... THE NEWEST BIKE I'VE RIDDEN.

Hope you like the story, it's all true .

Comment

Geez, newest bike I've ridden?? well last May you could have seen my fat ass on my grandson's JR50. No comment on the handling and power thank you...

Comment

depends on the day, but the "Latest Model" would be my 2000 Hayabusa

Comment

te nwest I rode is my current ride, 2003 zrx1200. I can only compare it to the gs1150 I used to own. Its the same bike only lighter, better handling, ( Maybe cause its new ) and more low end grunt wich last later into the power band. I love this bike It is A GS reincarnated. ! and well priced too

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                      About four years ago, I was able to trade bikes for a short ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway on a BMW RS1100 rented for the day by a good friend. Not in the contract, but what the heck. The handling is impressive, and I LOVED the brakes. I've always said my GS850G is a poor man's BMW, and I would have a Beemer RS in my garage if they weren't so %#@! expensive to maintain. Shafties rule!
                      I had similar experiences with RS1100, beautiful bike with great brakes and confidence inspiring handling. Didn't like the vibrations, was a bit unconfortable (although same riding position as GS750ES), and the windsheeld look sort of unusual when sitting on it.

Also had a very short spin on my friends Ducati ST4, but it was similar to BMW (with no shaft).

It seems that twin engines are not for me, am looking to test ride the VFR800, that bike is beautiful and it seems to suit me fine. And I don't worry if it does not have a character, neither do I

Comment

Working...
                      X