Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I made it!

Originally posted by Flying Low
    I made it! Arlington, Virginia, in the shadow of the nation?s capitol? 28 days, 7972 miles, 18 states, and 192 gallons of gas later, I am done. My hands are numb, my thighs and shoulders are sore, my nose is running? and I can?t get this smile off of my face.
    Glad you enjoyed your trip!
    You did something only a small percentage will do. The memories will last forever. Thanks for sharing!
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I really enjoyed following the " blog" sounded like a awesome adventure, well done Nick 8)

Comment

Well, Nick I can tell from your blog we may meet up some time on the Blue Ridge or Skyline Drive! You will ride them again! Great story.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys, as I have said before, without the GSR I probably wouldn't have attempted this.

And Jim - I definitely will be back there. I still have that section near Mt Mitchell to do... and it looks like plenty of great roads through KY and WV to make it a loop.

Just not till springtime

Nick

Comment

Re: PCH - religious experience (heaven *and* hell)

Crap - I just found this thread...I would have been more than happy to help you out. Anyway glad to hear that everything worked out. BTW, check out www.pashnit.com for photoessays on california roads, especially alot of the roads off of skyline.

Congratulations - I'll bet you'll never forget your journey.

Jeff

Originally posted by Flying Low
            SO today I did the Pacific Coast Highway from San Luis Opisbo to San Francisco. It was, easily, the most amazing motorcycle ride I have ever done. I actually got off of Route 1 after Monterey Bay and took Rte 9 up and over the mountains; it is an equally amazing road, and I only skipped doing the rest of Skyline Drive because the sun went down. I must have been in 5th gear only about 3 times all afternoon... there were literally thousands of turns... bright sun, little traffic... this was simply divine.

The downer came when I made a final scenic overlook camera stop, just before Carmel, and the bike skidded in the dirt and I dropped it on its right side. I'm fine, and most of the bike is OK - this was a very slow bump - but it's not the first time this has ever happened and the cover over the ignition pick-ups on the right side of the crank broke open.

I made it to San Francisco tonight withe the hole patched and the cover held on by duct tape... but I need to replace that thing before I head home, and I only planned top stay here 2 nights. I also plan to replace my tires and brake pads while I'm here... none of them will make 3000 more miles back east and now I know I'm going to go shopping.

Any advice on where/how to get these parts would be appreciated, especially from folks in the area. I have put my phone number on post in the wanted forum.

For thhose who are interested, l'll post the rest of the details from sandiego to here in my blog later on. It will include a bio of one of the most devoted motocyclists I know of, and whom I stayed with last night.

Comment

Nick,

Thank you for writing the blog and posting the pictures. This was the most enjoyable reading I have ever done! I looked forward each day to your advenures. The account was well written, humerous, and your trip was planned to have plenty of points of interest that were.....interesting. My hat is off to you for taking on this adventure but especially for sharing it with the GS members. I am sure there are many members like myself that can only dream of doing a trip like that, but, through your blog and photos we could be there. Again, thanks for sharing your experience.

Bob

Comment

Hi Nick!

Glad you had an awesome trip! I just found the thread and will be checking back on the blog over the next few days to read details -- looked at some of the pics already ... looks like an amazing experience!

Good luck with the new life in DC!

Regards,
                Steve 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Wingnut
                  Nick,

Thank you for writing the blog and posting the pictures. This was the most enjoyable reading I have ever done!
                  Bob
                  Hey, thanks for the high praise. I enjoyed sharing and as soon as I feel like I want to get back on it (in 5 months or so) maybe there will be some more to tell... I hope others take the clue too that this is not hard to do.

My goal (on which I am slowly working) is a hi-res version of the photo show with post-processed pics (cropped & balanced etc) which I'll hopefully interleave with an edited version of the story, sort of a book to keep for my own posterity. I'll post it if I ever get it that far - I am starting a new job, apartment hunting, and milling about the country (by car, mostly holiday and moviing travel) rather a lot these days.

Nick

Comment

Nick,
                    Great story....great ride..great pictures.

I'm envious

Thanks for documenting this for us.
                    Keith
                    -------------------------------------------
                    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
                    X