No announcement yet.

I had a crash...a big one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luckily my wife keeps beating the sense of reason back into me. I will more than likely end up on a Yamaha, Tracer 900 Gt. Likely...
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
      Luckily my wife keeps beating the sense of reason back into me. I will more than likely end up on a Yamaha, Tracer 900 Gt. Likely...
      Lucky for you she knows what those BMWs cost!
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
        Lucky for you she knows what those BMWs cost!
        oem brake pads 300 CAD. self install.
        and yet its all worth it.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
          oem brake pads 300 CAD. self install.
          and yet its all worth it.
          Lol...yes things are more $$ for a BMW bought I agree...worth it! All that's been done to my bike in 90,000kms are oil changes (10,000kms) and valve adjustments (30,000kms and never needed). I will likely never sell my BMW and plan to get a new Suzuki soon to take the miles off the bmw.
          No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
            Lol...yes things are more $$ for a BMW bought I agree...worth it! All that's been done to my bike in 90,000kms are oil changes (10,000kms) and valve adjustments (30,000kms and never needed). I will likely never sell my BMW and plan to get a new Suzuki soon to take the miles off the bmw.

Well a poor boy with minimal wrenching skills can offset the costs.
            I never in my life toured on a bike till sept 24th of this year. I had no idea it was fun. It is especially fun to be the guy jockeying in a top gear roll on while the others tap dance the ratchet shifter to kepp up.

There is a terrific youtube vid on the k1300 gt ( same engine) where a guy does the valves and associated work. save a ton especially if valves are in spec. Those shims.. I think BMW calls them heat sinks. They are quite costly.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
              Well a poor boy with minimal wrenching skills can offset the costs.
              I never in my life toured on a bike till sept 24th of this year. I had no idea it was fun. It is especially fun to be the guy jockeying in a top gear roll on while the others tap dance the ratchet shifter to kepp up.

There is a terrific youtube vid on the k1300 gt ( same engine) where a guy does the valves and associated work. save a ton especially if valves are in spec. Those shims.. I think BMW calls them heat sinks. They are quite costly.
              Thanks my friend, I'll check it out. My bike is no longer under warranty (6 years unlimited) so I'll be doing that stuff myself.. Oh and yes...the torque of these engines is quite something. I swear my bike pulls just as hard as the day I bought it.
              No signature

Comment

1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Same boat for my Triumph Bonneville T120... I love that bike and have no want or need to replace it permanently... It will always be at home in my shop. I would be broke if it wasn't for the 2 year unlimited mile warranty which Triumph stood firmly behind... But now that warranty period has elapsed and the Bike will be fixed on my dime, I am now quickly looking to decommission it from daily rider duty and replace it at some point next season.
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                  2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                  Originally posted by Hayabuser
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Wow Trevor - what a scare it was reading your introduction! Glad to catch up and find you're healing up (albeit slowly and painfully), you're not going broke with medical bills, you've got a lawyer, proof the idiot blew thru the stop sign, a great partner AND you're looking at new rides. There's a lot to be positive and thankful for there - best wishes to heal up fully and as quickly as possible.
                    Scott
                    1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                    1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                    1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                    2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gs scott View Post
                      Wow Trevor - what a scare it was reading your introduction! Glad to catch up and find you're healing up (albeit slowly and painfully), you're not going broke with medical bills, you've got a lawyer, proof the idiot blew thru the stop sign, a great partner AND you're looking at new rides. There's a lot to be positive and thankful for there - best wishes to heal up fully and as quickly as possible.
                      Thanks Scott...you are right, I have plenty to be thankful for!

Yesterday I let I sold my 2016 DR650....never thought I would..but as I got to thinking about it I realized it was going to be sometime before I rode it again. I will get on the street sooner..but the DR was used as a way to ride in the dirt on the island. There is no way I can risk a fall for quite sometime (and we fall quite often)....so I decided rather than be tempted I would sell it.....I'm sure I'll replace it once I feel comfortable enough to go off road again....probably something lighter and more dirt worthy....KTM or a Husky most likely.
                      As for now it adds $$ to the motorcycle account.
                      No signature

Comment

Hey guys,
                        Thought I would give an update on my progress...4 months today since the accident.
                        Well I thought I would be all better today....lol...honestly though I really was not prepared for this.
                        I'm still using a crutch to get around and by the looks of things that will continue for quite some time.
                        I have had 4 x-rays on the hip that has three screws in it...the last time I told my surgeon about all the popping and clicking that goes on in my hip and he said "we may have to take the screws out once the bone has healed, if they are bothering you...but that's way down the road".
                        I still can't sleep in a normal bed...I have a rented hospital bed that was in the living room until about three weeks ago when my wife said enough is enough.....she literally took a butcher knife to our king size bed and cut it in half so that we could put my hospital bed in our room. Lol....the bed makes a lot of noise though and she may be regretting that..lol...love my wife!
                        My schedule of appointments is brutal.
                        Pyhsio 4 times a week
                        Kinesiologist 2 times a week
                        Massage 1 times a week
                        Hand therapy 1 times a week
                        Mental Health counsellor 1 times a week
                        Plus xrays, doctors, etc
                        I have to keep track and in December alone, I went to 39 healthcare appointments and put 816 (500 miles) kms on my truck getting to and from. And all this during a pandemic where we are on restrictions in BC...we are told "stay home". I feel vulnerable going to all these appointments with covid out there.
                        On top of this my real job...my 4 men's recovery homes are full...29 guys...and we are doing renovations at one of the houses. My woman's house has 6 people out of a possible 9.
                        Mentally and physically I'm drained. I'm pretty down about where I am in my recovery.
                        I look forward to better days...thanks for listening.
                        No signature

Comment

I hear you. Your story is inspirational. I would hope to have even some of the strength to go through all that and not be homicidal.
                          That wife is a keeper for sure and having people depending on you is a big incentive to keep going I guess.
                          Stay well and keep touching back. A burden shared is a burden halved.
                          Meantime smash some plates or take a hammer to something.
                          It's not an FDA approved treatment but you never know.
                          97 R1100R
                          Previous
                          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                            I hear you. Your story is inspirational. I would hope to have even some of the strength to go through all that and not be homicidal.
                            That wife is a keeper for sure and having people depending on you is a big incentive to keep going I guess.
                            Stay well and keep touching back. A burden shared is a burden halved.
                            Meantime smash some plates or take a hammer to something.
                            It's not an FDA approved treatment but you never know.
                            Lol...thanks Brandon. My wife IS a keeper. I have been talking to her about getting back on a bike and she has been nothing but supportive. Considering what happened to me it could be easy to understand her not being supportive. But she knows how much riding is important to my mental health.
                            As for the people depending on me be an incentive to get well...you hit the nail on the head! The accident has showed me that I do have people that need me around and that there are so many more that need help too.
                            I appreciate your encouragement my friend.
                            No signature

Comment

Lol...thanks Brandon. My wife IS a keeper. I have been talking to her about getting back on a bike and she has been nothing but supportive. Considering what happened to me it could be easy to understand her not being supportive. But she knows how much riding is important to my mental health.
                              As for the people depending on me be an incentive to get well...you hit the nail on the head! The accident has showed me that I do have people that need me around and that there are so many more that need help too.
                              I appreciate your encouragement my friend.
                              I think the picture of the bed proves that beyond doubt.....LOL
                              Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                              Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                              1983 GS 750

Comment

Trevor, that sounds like a grind, and understandable why it can be discouraging. You've come far however. Keep it moving.

Hang in there buddy.
                                sigpic
                                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                                -Rusty old scooter.
                                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                                X