First street ride in 8 months w/issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First street ride in 8 months w/issues

Since June 14th of 2021, I haven't ridden on the street.
    A deer decided end my riding season early, woke up in an ambulance on my back, had chewing tobacco in my mouth when I came to.
    Broken ribs (11), shattered collarbone (was plated 6 screws & synthetic croutons added for filler), punctured lung.
    Did one trackday at Ridge Motorsports Park on September 20th, after 3 months of healing, which coincidentally was the last time I had an accident on the street in 1988.

Last weekend I swapped the 3.5" rim w/sport demon tire (1/2 life) off the deer laden Katana to replace the 3" rim on the 1150 with old bald plugged Michelin tire. Fired it up, heat cycled, tried the clutch, checked lights. All well, however, I may of had a non stock dowel in the clutch arm actuator. Swear I had a cotter pin too, not sure though.

So my first ride was today, was just a short 25 mile loop on the wife's 1150.
    After 5 miles the gear indicator on dash went blank. Pulled over checked fuse-broken, replace.
    Ride another 20 miles, peer down at dash on freeway blank again.
    Exercise clutch lever- it goes to the bar, look down at clutch cover, no cotter pin or dowel on clutch lever arm, I'm in 5th gear contemplating which exit off the freeway I should take with no clutch & no brake light or turn signals. Manage to finesse the gearbox down to first before stop sign, car goes by, another one coming, but a bit of gap that I take & immediately pull onto the first residential street.

Luckily had more fuses, but 15's not 10's & what to do about the clutch pivot arm? Dig thru tank bag, not much there, but do find one 6mm bolt that fits thru.
    I'm guessing it'll vibrate out, even though home is only a mile away. Think if a find a plastic bottle cap on the ground I could poke a hole thru it, so the threads would bite. No appropriate caps in near vicinity, but there is a smashed Monster energy aluminum can sitting there. Poke a hole thru the pull tab with a phillips I had & made it home. Now to figure out why the signal fuse is blowing.

20220218_130523 by Carter Turk, on Flickr
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Nice work, Macguyver.
    Bet the ride felt great even with the mechanical gremlins.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

First ride in 8 months is in febuary in Washington state.

good that you recovered.
      not certain about regaining concuious with chewing tobacco….. meaning had some prior? Meaning had some mysterious stuff appear?

good job dealing with the clutch lever.

about signal fuse that keeps blowing, can try disconnecting horns and see if go longer without fuse blowing. Can discuss in more detail if want.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Or leave horn connected, key on, and tap horn one at a time, see if ratteling a horn makes
        fuse blow.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Did feel good to go for a ride.

I have no horns on the bike.

Am a total dweeb when it comes to electrical issues.
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Glad to hear you got out, albeit with troubles, and glad to hear that your revovering(ed).

How big the Kat fare in the incident? Hopefully not a total loss. I hit a deer with my 1100e in the mid 90s. We both survived with scrapes and bruises, but I had managed to slow down to around 35-40 I’d guess before impact. Had I whacked the throttle open, I may have avoided it completely, but hindsight.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
              ……..

I have no horns on the bike.

…...
              leave the wires hanging?
              the org/grn one(s) is hot all the time the key is on, direct from the fuse, without hitting the horn button.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                How big the Kat fare in the incident?
                The case was damaged below ignition cover, including mechanical advancer/Dyna-s, yosh can scraped, fairing broken into many pieces, fairing bracket severely bent.

Everything else seems ok, managed to piece together fairing, so priming/painting needs to be done. Fair bracket bent back close to straight, mid panels, mirror, Dyna-s need to be purchased & then I'm confident it'll run again. A friend gave me an old version Dyna-s III, but was missing magnetic rotor & used magnetic rotor from crashed one was not allowing it to fire. Suppose I could have wired wrong, who knows, just going to buy a new one eventually.

20210618_171657 by Carter Turk, on Flickr

20210618_171248 by Carter Turk, on Flickr

Comment

Think the fuse blowing is solved, noticed wiring harness pinched at front of gas tank & wiggling wire caused dash to go out.

Now the next thing happened 1/16th of mile from home. Traffic light turns red, brake, come to a rolling stop, then Clank!

Bike shuddered, a couple light twists of throttle, engine sounds fine. Get home a find this. The rear brake caliper was firmly planted against the swing arm & the spring protector around brake hose was smashed to the swingarm. Had to loosen axle to rotate caliper bracket back up. Later tried to find other end, no luck.

20220305_113230 by Carter Turk, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                  X