No announcement yet.

Worst Riding weekend ever!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the same problem with cold hands....mine were frozen so often in childhood years that they are now very susceptible to cold, and chill very quickly.

Nick Diaz recommended a pair of hand covers from Vetter, (Hippo Hands) so I looked for some, and finally scored a new pair of them on E-bay for $60.

Nick was right: they REALLY work well. They are essentially huge handlebar wraps with a place to insert your hand. They have slots to fit around your mirror, and exend to fit over the levers, as well.

They block the wind completely, and are lined, so a pair of good gloves inside them will keep you warm. To try them out, I wore them one day when temps were at about freezing point. Rode for half an hour before my hands got cold enough that I needed to stop and warm them, but I was riding bare-handed at the time.

I only used them that one time, though, as they don't fit my bars well, (I don't have Suzuki handlebars).

Because of the way they had to bend on my bars, they put pressure on the inside of my wrists, so I found them uncomfortable for more than a short ride.
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Great story. Brought a smile to my face. Been there; done that. Don't do that any more. Vital part of the learning process, a part I learned real quick.

If you are going to be using your bike for daily transportation, be a fast learner yourself and get a windshield or small fairing. It greatly extends your comfort range and makes riding in precipitaion a whole lot safer.
      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
      80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
        Great story. Brought a smile to my face. Been there; done that. Don't do that any more. Vital part of the learning process, a part I learned real quick.

If you are going to be using your bike for daily transportation, be a fast learner yourself and get a windshield or small fairing. It greatly extends your comfort range and makes riding in precipitaion a whole lot safer.
        I thought about that, but then thought about it and decided, first off, I love the look of a naked bike. Second I don't have the cash to put towards one and th third my bike is a little underpowered for me and the mountians I go overas it is, thinking that a windshilef might slow it down even more.

Comment

Originally posted by WesV
          Originally posted by dpep

I thought about that, but then thought about it and decided, first off, I love the look of a naked bike. Second I don't have the cash to put towards one and th third my bike is a little underpowered for me and the mountians I go overas it is, thinking that a windshilef might slow it down even more.
          I don't know if this could be made to fit your bike or not Wes but it is yours for only the cost of shipping according to the add. If it is still available.

Comment

Thanks Mark,
            I won't be going for it, but thanks for thinking about me anyway!! I am planning on buying an 850/1000/1100 L Later this year and might spend some decent money then on a vetter or windjammer.

Comment

Through all the additional comments the story brings back some fond (in hindsight) memories. Thanks for the flashback.

I rode from Brooksville, NY to Kutztown, PA in 25F on a '80 Yamaha XS400 while in college. I remember being so cold that I wrapped my legs around the cylinders to keep warm and had to put up with getting shocked from the plug wires for about 75 miles. Wore thermal underwear, jeans, bib overalls, t-shirt, flannel shirt, sweat shirt, scarf, two pairs of gloves, and an old army jacket.

Best ride I've ever done.

Comment

Working...
              X