No announcement yet.

Nice Harley owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found that the attitudes on the west and east coasts vary a lot . Out west, everyone waved, while on my way east, it was maybe 1 out of 3.

I wave to all riders too.....glad to hear there are open minds out there!

Comment

In my experience, I've found that, like stated before, it doesn't matter what kind of bike someone is riding. Most people will wave to you, harley or jap bikes.
      The only time I've noticed that someone doesn't wave back is when its some kid on a crotch rocket and thinks he has something to prove to the world, or some guy on a harley that thinks he is "the man."

Comment

Last fall I went on my first charity ride with about 150 other riders. Every make was represented and it was a great time. During the ride we made several rest stops and at each stop I had people come up to me and compliment my GS. Most of them were Harley riders. Everything from My bike being cleaner than most of the newer bikes there, to those old Suzuki's will run forever was said. I always give other riders a wave and if they don't wave back I just figure they are not having as much fun as I am!

Comment

Re: Nice Harley owner

Originally posted by WesV
          Yep they do exist!!

Tonight on my way home from work at about 11:30 PM, I stop at a light getting ready to turn leftto head up over the mountian between Radford (where I work) and Blacksburg (where I live). I look in my mirror at the while waiting and see this harley coming up, he pulls up beside me. Looks over the bike, then looks at me and says " Nice night for a ride huh?" "Yep sure is!" (56*) " You gotta ride when ever you can in the winter months I guess" I respond "For me that is everyday there is no ice, snow is fine, I will ride in snow, but not ice." He just chuckled and muttered something about young'n will get aches and creaks soon enough 8) Anyway we exchange plesantries for another couple seconds and then the light turns and I ride off first, not screaming off or letting the thing make a lot of noise, but just a brisk take off and he followed me and we wound through the mountian for the next several minutes being the only two on the road in the middle of a great night! I loved it, made me feel that maybe there are some Harley owners who aren't in it just for the attitude, and image but for the fun and pure enjoyment of riding as well.
          Hey Wes - for what it's worth, the GM of the Harley shop here in Roanoke is a great friend and an absolute first class guy. I ocasionally stop by the HD shop to talk with him about bikes in general and he has an open mind to any brand (but of course he prefers HD). He went out of his way to give me advice and info before I bought a bike on what to pick as a used, reliable, affordable model (and I ended up here with the GS, in no small part due to him).

Comment

Wes,
            I know just the kind of person you are talking about. Your boss is immersed in the 'image' of Harley-Davidson. Since it's obvious she knows nothing about motorcycles, image is all she has to judge them by.

Let her go ahead and buy an 800 lb bike. It may pay dividends in laughs later on...

Ace.

Comment

Most riders wave unless they forget.

Most riders wave at me but those that don't I just figure they don't participate with other riders on the road.

I got a bit of a back handed coment from a Harley rider while I was trailering my CB home. While at a light he said get that thing fixed up and on the road so you can ride. I said yea I've been looking for one of these to fix up for a long time. Then He says it doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride. Now that I think of it I suppose it wasn't back handed but I'm sure it matters to him what he is riding. + assuming that my bike is just something I own for the sake of having a piece of poop to ride is a bit on the condicending side. I figured he was trying to be friendly so I said thanks and then the light turned.

Comment

Ya know, i've been rideing for 14 years on the street and since i could barely walk on the dirt, I've met the HD guys that won't waive, and i've met the HD guys that will wave, I've met the punk kid that passes you doing 160 on a backroad flipping you the bird cause you "held him up" and i've meet the guy that prefers a sport bike and will take it easy around curves when rideing with somebody on a cruiser. I've meet decent guys on newer Yamaha V-Twins that are cool guys, and i've meet guys on nwer Yamaha V-Twins that have actually convinced thereself that they are rideing a HD, hehe i know ya'll know some of those, and then you find the guy, the guy that calls his bike by a beutiful name, A guy who simply calls his bike "Suzi", Suzi will take you through the good times and the bad, "Suzi" some of us have learned, is far more reliable then some other girls, I mean C'mon how many of you have saved a GS from certain distruction, barns, garages, basements, side of the house, and drained the oil, added new oil, placed fresh plugs in and cleaned the carbs a bit, then charged the battery, eased that clutch in wondering well i'll be lucky if it turns over much less starts, then you hit the button, and "Suzi" fires right up. she purrs and sounds great, she will run when you think surely she won't and she will make you beutiful summer day that much better, God I love Suzi, I've saved her twice from two different certain deaths, shouldn't have run but did, they can have the HD, and i'll keep roaring around on my GS, it might not be as "pretty" as that dressed out custom, but she's mine and she is faithful
                Oh yea saw a 1600 cc Maurader from last year today, forward controls, mustang seat, cobra pipes, drag bar, was super nice, its shaft driven wich surprised me when all hte other jap makers have gone to belt drives for there biggest twin, anybody know why suzuki hasn't? and also does anybody know anything about the 1600cc marauder, from what I saw I really liked it, hmmm and only 10 grand compared to 20 for a harley that is close to same "extra's" hmmm not a tough choice for me

Comment

Working...
                X