Motorcycling safety tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fastpakr
    I'd be very careful with using the motor to slow you down too much though - because it's only affecting the rear wheel...
    This is a very useful skill. I use this ALWAYS.
    Trust the engine, also - as I was taught on this site - practice Emergency Braking. Ie... using all of your braking resources together. Very important.

P.S. Living in Florida, I get stuck in the rain USUALLY. I always use engine braking. However, you must be under control. ie.... You can't be blasting up to a stop light at 80 in the rain and expect the engine to brake for you. NOT.

So, Very useful info.

Comment

I think maybe it needs to be clarified on the engine braking. Allow the engine to coast you down, and downshift at a rate that is not going to allow the rear wheel to change speed fast enough to make the tire lose traction.

This also works well in snow.

Brad tt

Comment

I guess I'm not following you - while engine braking can allow you to derease brake fade and pad wear a bit, it cannot decrease your stopping distance (you can already lock the rear tire with the foot pedal). Sure, it can be very useful. But how are you suggesting that it would improve your ability to panic stop?

Comment

Learn to keep your eyes moving. Scan three areas constantly, scan as far down the road as you can see, take note of traffic braking. Scan the area just in front of you to check for pedestrians, animals crossing, pot holes and debris on the road. Scan your mirrors both left and right then repeat. This will keep you from developing tunnel vision which blinds you to immediate threats. Remember complacency is a killer. When you are stopped behind another vehicle stop far enough back so you can see the bottoms of the rear tires of the vehicle ahead of you. If you must stop behind large trucks make sure you are in their rear view mirror's view. If for some reason one would begin backing up on you on a highway you would have no place to go if you are up close to their bumper. I have known a number of bikers who died doing this. And my number one rule: The day you get too cocky to respect the power of your machine, get off, park it and never get back on.

Comment

I guess I'm not following you - while engine braking can allow you to derease brake fade and pad wear a bit, it cannot decrease your stopping distance (you can already lock the rear tire with the foot pedal). Sure, it can be very useful. But how are you suggesting that it would improve your ability to panic stop?

The idea is to avoid panic stopping (even more so in the wet). Florida is a great example cuz the roads are as bad as ice immediately following a rain, especially at intersections....I was saying that you should act as if you have no brakes, thus using the motor to brake GENTLY

Comment

OK, yeah we're on the same page now. I think that's a great idea.

Comment

Plus if you do make an emergancy stop and were braking so hard that you didn't take the time to follow down through the gears you may end up stuck at a stand still in 5th gear and have a willy of a time getting back out.

Practice doing it. It should be an instinct that if you have to brake sudden and hard you follow it down with the engine. I seldom use the rear brake as the engine is plenty for back there. If you brake regularly with the rear brake you wear your rear tire out mush faster.

Comment

If you see me in my marked police unit and your haulin, slow down! as it's $110 for me to stop you.
                  That was a tip wasn't it! oh! you wanted a riding tip!!!
                  OK, Dont set off from traffic lights as soon as they turn green, because no one around here (Louisiana) knows what a red light is from the other direction.

Comment

Originally posted by feelergaugephil
                    If you see me in my marked police unit and your haulin, slow down! as it's $110 for me to stop you.
                    OK, Dont set off from traffic lights as soon as they turn green, because no one around here (Louisiana) knows what a red light is from the other direction.
                    Ha! Good one. A North Texas problem as well.

Comment

Originally posted by feelergaugephil
                      Your a marked man on here Phil, but we still love ya

Comment

Around here its stops signs, people just go right through them :?

Comment

Uhhh, how much is it if you just chase us for a little while and then give up? :-) Do we get a discount for multiple chases? Do we win if we can get far enough ahead to circle around and pull in behind you? :-) :-)

Earl

[quote="feelergaugephil"]
                          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Don't cross railroad tracks at anything other than perpendicular. If they're angled tracks, reduce your speed to where you can swerve to cross straight over. Make sure you have time to recover and be fully upright when you cross. Oh, and raise your butt up off the seat.

Be especially careful of steel plates in the road if there is ANY moisture on them. Don't let yourself get caught having to maneuver while crossing them. 8O

Comment

Be sure to let new tires "scrub in", don't just slap 'em on and go crazy. I heard a story about a guy that lost his leg a few minutes after getting new tires. It makes me remember that

Comment

[

Your a marked man on here Phil, but we still love ya [/quote]

Catch me if you can :roll: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Comment

Working...
                                X