Motorcycling safety tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding ABS....

ABS does *NOT* make a car (or bike) stop faster. ABS allows an unskilled driver to effectively threshold brake. A skidding tire has 30% less traction than a rolling tire, so the best technique is to brake as hard as you can just shy of the point of lock-up. It's possible to do this in a non-ABS vehicle with a little skill and practice, but ABS allows anyone to do it without skill or practice.

The major advantage of ABS is that it allows you to threshold brake AND TURN at the same time. This is a major point we drive home at the advanced driving class I sometimes teach. In fact the final exercise of the day is an emergency lane change using full ABS braking from 50mph. Sounds tricky, but thanks to ABS I've ridden with teenage kids who could do it just as well as I can.

The major advantage a 4-wheeler has over a bike is exactly that - four wheels. They have 4 contact patches rather than our 2, and each of them is typically larger than ours. Brakes don't stop you - they simply convert your kinetic energy (forward motion) into heat. The tires are what actually stop you.

HOWEVER, motorcycle tire compounds are softer and grippier (and shorter lived) than most automotive street tires. So in the case of Earl outbraking a Dodge Ram, yeah, the truck had 4 bigger contact patches, but was running truck tires, which are hard, knobby, and not nearly as grippy as Earl's motorcycle tires. Plus the Ram is MUCH heavier. So I fully believe that between better tires, better skills, and much lower vehicle weight, Earl was able to outbrake the Dodge in this case. Good thing, too.

Comment

You know talking about how well a bike handles, I was just thinking of a guy I know that was following me last weekend while I was testing out my carb repairs (for the upteenth time) and he was all over the road and a few times went way wide. Seeing this I slowed down for his sake and my guilt. He told me later that he felt that if I could do it so could he. So I guess what I'm saying is just because one guy can ride a certain way doesn't mean you can too.
      I hope I didn't repeat someone else's post.
      Oh yeah and maybe think of your other biker buddies because maybe they aren't up to the task.
      Ok, I'm back out to my cave.

Comment

I think hard braking from high speeds is one of the less practiced riding skills.
        Its a good idea to know where the "break point" is and being confident of using all the brakes you have. The day will come when you need it all.

Earl

Originally posted by Zook
        Regarding ABS....

So I fully believe that between better tires, better skills, and much lower vehicl weight, Earl was able to outbrake the Dodge in this case. Good thing, too.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

We all have days when we're not as sharp as usual; be brutally honest in your self assessment. Learn to recognize when you're not on top of your game, and slow down.

When passing a semi, don't spend any more time next to the truck than absolutely necessary. A retread letting go can ruin your whole day.
          JP
          1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
          1992 Concours
          2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
          2007 FJR

Comment

When passing a semi, don't spend any more time next to the truck than absolutely necessary. A retread letting go can ruin your whole day.
            If you are passing one and hear a thump-thump-thump-thump-thump sound get away as qucikly and safely as you can, the tread is starting to seperate from the tire.

Comment

saftey tips

Before a long ride or if I have been unfortunate enough not to ride for a few days I like to:

Check all lights
              Check the horn
              Go around the block a couple of times to make sure the brakes are good and there is no other issues......

Comment

Boy this will sound funny comming from someone who usually jokes around but seriously listen to your gut. If somthing feels wrong it usually is. If you have an uneasy feeling in your stomach, end your ride. If you are riding hard and you find your mind racing to the point you are not concentrating then slow down! If you wake up on the day of the ride and you have a "funny feeling" somthing isnt right then take the car or stay at home. everbody has "sixth sense" warning signs .................listen to them

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc
                  RE: the Armorall comment on Page 2. Also ALWAYS resist the Idea of applying ANY such product to your Bike's Seat. I know it makes it nice and shiny, but unless you desire to know your Instrument Cluster on a VERY personal basis Trust me on this one!
                  tires soap and water. if needed green scratch pad or steel wool.
                  seat soap and water.

every thing else makes you slide all over

Comment

This is an article that someone posted on here a year or two ago. I thought it was great and saved it. It's a bit of a read but has a lot of good info in it.

PACE YOURSELF BY NICK IENATSCH

.... Two weeks ago a rider died when he and his bike tumbled off a cliff paralleling our favorite road. No gravel in the road, no oncoming car pushing him wide, no ice. The guy screwed up. Rider error. Too much enthusiasm with too little skill, and this fatality wasn't the first on this road this year. As with most single bike accidents, the rider entered the corner at a speed his brain told him was too fast, stood the bike up and nailed the rear brake. Good-bye.

.... On the racetrack this rider would have tumbled into the hay bales, visited the ambulance for a strip of gauze and headed back to the pits to straighten his handlebars and think about his mistake. But let's get one thing perfectly clear - the street is not the race track. Using it as such will shorten your riding career and keep you from discovering The Pace. The Pace is far from street racing - and a lot more fun.

.... The Pace places the motorcycle in its proper role as the controlled vehicle, not the controlling vehicle. Too many riders of sport bikes become baggage when the throttle gets twisted - the ensuing speed is so overwhelming they are carried along in the rush. The Pace ignores outright speed and can be as much fun on a Ninja 250 as on a ZX-11, emphasizing rider skill over right-wrist bravado. A fool can twist the grip, but a fool has no idea how to stop or turn. Learning to stop will save your life; learning to turn will enrich it. What feels better than banking a motorcycle into a corner?

.... The mechanics of turning a motorcycle involve pushing and/or pulling on the handlebars; while this isn't new information for most sport riders, [the rider should] realize that the force at the handlebar affects the motorcycle's rate of turn-in. Shove hard on the bars, and the bike snaps over; gently push on the bars, and the bike lazily banks in. Different corners require different techniques, but as you begin to think about lines, late entrances and late apexes, turning your bike at the exact moment and reaching the precise lean angle will require firm, forceful inputs at the handlebars. If you take less time to turn your motorcycle, you can use that time to brake more effectively or run deeper into the corner, affording yourself more time to judge the corner and a better look at any hidden surprises. It's important to look as far into the corner as possible and remember the adage, "You go where you look."

DON'T RUSH
                    .... The number one survival skill, after mastering emergency braking, is setting your corner entrance speed early, or as Kenny Roberts says, "Slow in, fast out."

.... Street riders may get away with rushing into 99 out of 100 corners, but that last one will have gravel, mud or a trespassing car. Setting entrance speed early will allow you to adjust your speed and cornering line, giving you every opportunity to handle the surprise.

.... We've all rushed into a corner too fast and experienced not just the terror but the lack of control when trying to herd the bike into the bend. If you're fighting the brakes and trying to turn the bike, any surprise will be impossible to deal with. Setting your entrance speed early and looking into the corner allows you to determine what type of corner you're facing. Does the radius decrease? Is the turn off-camber? Is there an embankment that may have contributed some dirt to the corner?

.... Racers talk constantly about late braking, yet that technique is used only to pass for position during a race, not to turn a quicker lap time. Hard braking blurs the ability to judge cornering speed accurately, and most racers who rely too heavily on the brakes find themselves passed at the corner exits because they scrubbed off too much cornering speed. Additionally, braking late often forces you to trail the brakes or turn the motorcycle while still braking. While light trail braking is an excellent and useful technique to master, understand that your front tire has only a certain amount of traction to give.

.... If you use a majority of the front tire's traction for braking and then ask it to provide maximum cornering traction as well, a typical low-side crash will result. Also consider that your motorcycle won't steer as well with the fork fully compressed under braking. If you're constantly fighting the motorcycle while turning, it may be because you're braking too far into the corner. All these problems can be eliminated by setting your entrance speed early, an important component of running at The Pace.

.... Since you aren't hammering the brakes at every corner entrance, your enjoyment of pure cornering will increase tremendously. You'll relish the feeling of snap ping your bike into a corner and opening the throttle as early as possible. Racers talk about getting the drive started, and that's just as important on the street. Notice how the motorcycle settles down and simply works better when the throttle is open? Use a smooth, light touch on the throttle and try to get the bike driving as soon as possible in the corner, even before the apex, the tightest point of the corner. If you find yourself on the throttle ridiculously early, it's an indication you can increase your entrance speed slightly by releasing the brakes earlier.

.... As you sweep past the apex, you can begin to stand the bike up out of the corner. This is best done by smoothly accelerating, which will help stand the bike up. As the rear tire comes off full lean it puts more rubber on the road, and the forces previously used for cornering traction can be converted to acceleration traction. The throttle can be rolled open as the bike stands up.

.... This magazine won't tell you how fast is safe; we will tell you how to go fast safely. How fast you go is your decision, but it's one that requires reflection and commitment. High speed on an empty four-lane freeway is against the law, but it's fairly safe. Fifty-five miles per hour in a canyon might be legal, but it may also be dangerous. Get together with your friends and talk about speed. Set a reasonable maximum and stick to it. Done right, The Pace is addicting without high straight-away speeds.

.... The group I ride with couldn't care less about outright speed between corners; any gomer can twist a throttle. If you routinely go 100 mph, we hope you routinely practice emergency stops from that speed. Keep in mind outright speed will earn a ticket that is tough to fight and painful to pay; cruising the easy straight stuff doesn't attract as much attention from the authorities and sets your speed perfectly for the next sweeper.

GROUP MENTALITY
                    .... Straights are the time to reset the ranks. The leader needs to set a pace that won't bunch up the followers, especially while leaving a stop sign or passing a car on a two-lane road. The leader must use the throttle hard to get around the car and give the rest of the group room to make the pass, yet he or she can't speed blindly along and earn a ticket for the whole group. With sane speeds on the straights, the gaps can be adjusted easily; the bikes should be spaced about two seconds apart for maximum visibility of surface hazards.

.... It's the group aspect of The Pace I enjoy most, watching the bikes in front of me click into a corner like a row of dominoes, or looking in my mirror as my friends slip through the same set of corners I just emerged from.

.... Because there's a leader and a set of rules to follow, the competitive aspect of sport riding is eliminated and that removes a tremendous amount of pressure from a young rider's ego--or even an old rider's ego. We've all felt the tug of racing while riding with friends or strangers, but The Pace takes that away and saves it for where it belongs: the race track. The race track is where you prove your speed and take chances to best your friends and rivals.

.... I've spent a considerable amount of time writing about The Pace (see Motorcyclist, Nov. 91) for several reasons, not the least of which being the fun I've had researching it (continuous and ongoing). But I have motivations that aren't so fun. I got scared a few years ago when Senator Danforth decided to save us from ourselves by trying to ban superbikes, soon followed by insurance companies blacklisting a variety of sport bikes. I've seen Mulholland Highway shut down because riders insisted on racing (and crashing) over a short section of it. I've seen heavy police patrols on roads that riders insist on throwing themselves off of. I've heard the term "murder-cycles" a dozen times too many. When we consider the abilities of a modern sport bike, it becomes clear that rider technique is sorely lacking.

.... The Pace emphasizes intelligent, rational riding techniques that ignore race track heroics without sacrificing fun. The skills needed to excel on the race track make up the basic precepts of The Pace, excluding the mind numbing speeds and leaving the substantially larger margin for error needed to allow for unknowns and immovable objects. Our sport faces unwanted legislation from outsiders, but a bit of throttle management from within will guarantee our future.

? Copyright MOTORCYCLIST Magazine June 1993 issue

Comment

Okay, thought I'd give this a bump back up to page one. Plus, I thought of something else today on my usual route to work.

When riding over bumps, stand-up on the pegs. It will keep you from being "thrown" if the bump is drastic.

Brad tt

Comment

When riding shirtless & helmetless in shorts in the Texas heat, always wear sandals with a strap around your heel, instead of the usual Wal-Mart plastic flip-flops (thongs). Too easy too loose a flip-flop when you pull your legs up to sit Indian style. Trust me on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Desolation Angel
                          When riding shirtless & helmetless in shorts in the Texas heat, always wear sandals with a strap around your heel, instead of the usual Wal-Mart plastic flip-flops (thongs). Too easy too loose a flip-flop when you pull your legs up to sit Indian style. Trust me on this.

..................thongs????
                          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

the article above " PACE YOURSELF BY NICK IENATSCH" that Gerry posted is excellent. Even better is the Book he wrote called "sport riding techniques"
                            I have been riding now for 31 years on the street. With time comes confidence and I have picked the pace up over the years. Now that I have a new bike that handles different( better) than what I was used too plus is way faster, I decided its time to go back to school.
                            I picked up Nick Lentatch's book and I am amazed how much I dont know. ( Ok i am waiting for the comments here gang ,dont let me down ) Sure all the basics I was doing correct, but the finer stuff ,the stuff that will make you quick and smooth and safe, that where I need to improve. Some of the handling characteristics of my last bike that I did not like were the results of rider input, not the bike ( sure now I find out ) some of the things I was doing that that I thought helped make quicker, were not completely correct and I will be working on finness and smoothness now.
                            I highly recommend this book and "A twist of the wrist" by keith Code. This book pertains more to the track, but has many helpful ideas in it......................................skip

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy
                              Originally posted by Desolation Angel

..................thongs????
                              Don't go there!

Comment

May is motorcycle awareness month here in MA.

Any other states promote this idea?
                                Keith
                                -------------------------------------------
                                1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                                2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
                                X