X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 street Bikes!
    4 dirt Bikes!
    4 4 Wheelers!
    Barn with several parts bikes or future projects.
    That's all the wife knows Bout?

Comment

Originally posted by BoCoMoMann View Post
      Here is a video I made of a friends collection south of Omaha - Crank the volume!

Down a gravel road in Iowa

Sometimes too much is just enough!

Rich is his name, here is his web site, nice guy, but busy!
      That video is freaking awesome! I could spend hours there. Thanks for posting this up!

Comment

that collection is awesome! most look to be in good knick too!

can you ever have enough?

Comment

That early - mid '70's Kawasaki collection looks more than complete.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            I bet he's so busy buying stuff he never has time to ride any of them.
            Good thing he's not a Lothario.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Don't we need to define "enough"? Seems to me the number is different for everyone.

"Enough" for me = one more than I have room for.
              Last edited by zuluwiz; 10-18-2022, 04:54 PM.
              Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
              1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
              1981 GS1100E

Comment

I voted "Never say too many!" but my garage hosts 5 bikes and that is where I draw my line.

Unless a nice GS750E or GSX1100E comes available...
                1983 GS1000G | 1984 GSX1100EF | 1997 FLHR| -16 FLSTC 103 HO | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Comment

Have been pondering this for a while now as my motorcycle bay of our three car garage had been on a steady upward trajectory for some time... I'm trying to thin the herd a bit.

Peter Egan had a column some years back where it was concluded that *5* bikes was the ideal:
                  1) Sport bike
                  2) Sports Tourer
                  3) dirt/gravel road-capable bike
                  4)Big Tourer (Harley V twin for Egan)
                  5) Old/vintage/nostalgic bike

I've always had at least 2, oftentimes 3 bikes in the "old" category which dabble a bit in the sports/sport touring/gravel realm as a function of how they were being used at the time. IE I end up riding my UJMs on gravel roads pretty regularly.

My GOAL is to get myself down to 3 bikes from my current 5, sooner or later. I'm a bit *too* well equipped with big 4cyl bikes at the moment so at least one of them will be sold. I keep almost getting back into dual sports but for whatever reason it's just not been sticking (bought and sold a DR650 last year, currently about to do the same with a KLR650). My XS500 sometimes feels like a bit of an albatross around my neck. It's my first motorcycle and I rode it across the continental US and back, I have a lot of memories wrapped up in it, but I never really ride it. Have sometimes been tempted to sell it but with 57k miles on the clock it's hardly worth anything and I know some kid would ruin it with cafe crap. Have recently started commuting on it again trying to rekindle that "relationship."
                  Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
                  Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

I don't ride enough anymore to own 7 bikes but when thinking about thinning the stable, I always seem to find a reason (excuse) for keeping each of them.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Agree on five, at least in theory. Although I'd delete the pure touring bike and add a track day one. My problem is that I now have seven.
                      But, the RZ doesn't count, because it's in pieces. The real issue is the V-Strom. The Multi was supposed to replace it as my all-around sport-tourer, but it's so tall that my wife can't comfortably get on and off it. So the Strom is sticking around for now.
                      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I know some people with a lot of bikes. 95% of them are "pickled". It's better than keeping your money in the bank. You can sell them for a lot, but put a little on the bill of sale, which the buyer doesn't mind, he pays less tax. If you choose the right bikes, and store them properly (and have the room) it a good nest egg if you ever need cash.
                        Last edited by Suzukian; 03-14-2023, 07:47 AM.

Comment

I have all I need and can handle at the moment....lol

One dual sport (DR650)
                          Four classics (2 gs750s, gs1100e and the Cooley)
                          Two Sport Touring bikes (bmw k1300r and my gsxs1000gt)
                          I have absolutely no desire to own a "cruiser"

And one old beat up truck
                          No signature

Comment

I was very happy with two. The two bikes I lusted after since I was 14 - big Kaw and Sportster (my 11EZ stands in for the Kaw). In fact, I often couldn't decide which one to ride.
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Today's stable. Running,GL1800, Versys1000. Low hanging fruit: 955 Speed Triple, needs tank lined and a battery. 3 GS's. 1 with a direction, 1 with a dream, 1 I'm trying REALLY hard not to mod, cause I mod everything I've ever owned and it was a "Vetter Virgin". I'm fixing the "To big of a collection problem". A bigger storage shed...
                              Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                              Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                              Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

If you're primary's something older, you've got the project too (so there's 2), lol.

I got essentially exactly what I wanted when I bought my current to get back into riding - something with a lower fairing, sporty and powerful. Actually I kinda wanted a Honda V4 for something different, but I wound up with another inline. I was sort of ashamed to think the other day that a V-twin cruiser (nothing too big or gawdy) with some nice sounding pipes would be a pleasure to ride sometimes...

The eye of man - one of those things that never says "enough"... I think that's close (Proverbs).

I've always thought a dirt bike would be fun too, if I had a place to ride it.

Comment

Working...
                                X