No announcement yet.

Victoria BC to Woodstock Ontario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you guys are interested I thought I should post some pics of my trip...I've been bust catching up with my work as 4 weeks away is the longest I've been away from my work, although I did work from the road as my usual practice.
    As I said before this was a trip I was taking to my dad's memorial in Woodstock Ontario where I grew up...three friends that I grew up with there and now living in BC...one in Banff Alberta took the journey with me....for me this was something I have always wanted to do...ride back to Ontario through Canada...seeing provinces I had never actually been to before.
    After we left Banff the four of us headed to Cold Lake Alberta. Our weather was great...as a matter of fact, out of the 10,504kms I rode we only saw 100kms of rain going through Ontario.
    This is the first pic I took....me waiting for the 6am ferry to leave Vancouver Island

From my buddy's front yard in Banff

Our motel in Cold Lake....me with my buddy Gary scratching his head...I have known Gary since I was in my early teens...he is 10 years older than me...his dad owned a welding business next to my dad and uncle's sandblasting and painting business....Gary raced AMA sidecars back in the day on the same weekends as superbike legends Wes, Freddie, Eddie...etc..he was the "monkey"...lol
    Dave (Bucky) also 10 years older than me. is retired from CBC where he was an electrical engineer....his brother was a local legend growing up in Woodstock....he was a motorcycle stunt rider...claim to fame being on the tv show "That's Incredible" competing in a quarter mile race against the "best riders in the world"....lol...he took 2nd place with a broken collar bone I believe.

On our second day we headed to just outside Flin Flon Manitoba...traveling through the province of Saskatchewan....That was just over 800kms...again great weather...bug were plentiful for sure...gas stops were far and few between but I had searched those spots out well in advance.

We had the roads to ourselves

One thing I didn't count on was a 38kms ride on a gravel road...my new bike was new no more....lol

Where we stayed 23kms south of Flin Flon MB...this was a special place.

No signature

Comment

Our cabin at Baker's Narrows..this place was amazing!
      We were originally only staying one night there but we decided to stay two and take a day off the bikes to go fishing.
      In advance I had rented a pontoon boat with a fishing guide for the day,,,,a day before we got there I got a call from the lodge saying that the motor on the pontoon boat had broken down and they were trying to get it fixed...they offered us a smaller boat but I said we would have to cancel if we didn't get the pontoon boat as the last thing we wanted to do was to be 5 guys trying to fish out of a small boat after riding for three days...just wouldn't be very relaxing.
      So we arrive and the owner comes to our cabin with a beer and says "ok, we couldn't get the motor fixed but we have came up with another plan....we are going to tow you guys out to the fishing spots on the pontoon boat with the other boat"....lol....very cool.

The guy on the left is my good friend Chuck Taylor....yes that's his name..lol...we were once roommates in our early 20s....that was some crazy times....lol

We all caught pike....

Our guide Greg, had the most adorable puppy on board...

Yes, alcohol was involved...lol

No signature

Comment

I love hearing about bike trips. Thanks mr. Trevor.
        2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
        82 gs1100L probably the next project
        1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
        1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Very cool and gorgeous scenery Trevor
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

So after our fishing diversion at Baker's Narrows we headed to Gimli Manitoba ....no real good pics from there for some reason...Gimli is where Crown Royal is made...
            Then onto Thunder bay Ontario and then Thessalon Ont where we stayed in a great motel that had a restaurant attached....what a beautiful evening and sunset over looking Lake Huron.

the restaurant

The next morning we headed out at 6am to make sure we caught the Chi-Cheemaun ferry to Tobermory....and I took this at Blind River 7am
            We did a lot of early starts like this and it was awesome to be on the road at that time...

The ferry

No signature

Comment

Now one of the coolest part of this trip.....my cousin Danny (introduced me to motorcycle when I was 6 and he was 16) has a cottage in Stokes Bay on Lake Huron....it was his mom and dad's cabin since the 60s and my family used to go there every summer when we were kids...I had not been there since I was 12 years old! That was special...and it was just as I remembered it

The fire pit out back...the shed was built by my cousin and my dad several years ago over a drunken weekend I was told...lol

No signature

Comment

So the other thing that was going on was our friend Tom (Gork) from Woodstock has an awesome cottage in Tobermory about 30min away from my cousin's place....Gork has a motorcycle party every year the 2nd weekend in July and this was his 24th year in a row....so many of our friends that we grew up with riding in Woodstock ride up there every year and get out of control...lol
                What a place,,,he has done so much work....so much stone laid all by him...he charges everyone $20 a night which includes and amazing breakfast each morning and a wonderful dinner each night that he personally cooks.....unbelievable.
                It was so special to party and hang out with guys you have not seen in years but went to high school with....

My buddy Dave and his 1985 GSXR750 that he bought brand new in Woodstock.

Burt and his ELR

Gork's "hillbilly hot tub"....104 degrees!

Oh boy I gained some weight on this trip lol

Me and my traveling companions rented the airbnb cabin next door....so we could escape the madness lol

No signature

Comment

Ah traditions....lol
                  Last edited by trevor; 08-12-2022, 01:27 AM.
                  No signature

Comment

This guy in his late 60s going through 5 gears....alcohol...lol
                    No signature

Comment

Interesting beer selection. I would have tried the Carling. We haven't had that around here for a long time. Had a couple Molsons just yesterday. Still my favorite Canadian beer. The Busch seems to be an international standard for wild parties though.
                      2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                      82 gs1100L probably the next project
                      1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                      1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Working...
                      X