Summer riding in BC and the Kootenays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer riding in BC and the Kootenays

Been on a few trips in the past couple of months exploring my beautiful province. Dodged some smoke last week with some buddies. Thought you guys would enjoy some pics,
    Cheers

So we left last Sunday heading to catch an 11am ferry and I was riding my bmw...as we approached to booths to pay my rear wheel sounded like my youth with hockey cards in my spokes....turns out I was loosing air quickly.
    I pulled over instead of entering the booth line up.....
    Here is what I saw...lol

I had to think quick...go home and get another bike? Then I remembered my buddy Scott that has a mobile motorcycle mechanic business just happened to be at my neighbours when I left my house....I called him..."Scott, I gotta ask a huge favour...." I explained what happened and asked him if he would go into my garage and take the tire off my GT and bring it to the ferry terminal and install it on my bmw....he said "sure"!
    30 min later he showed up in his truck....keep in mind this was a Sunday....
    After all was said and done we managed to catch the noon ferry, losing only one hour! Wow....what a lifesaver! Scott and his partner are regulars at my Friday Afternoon Safety meeting.

We took a little "smoke" break outside Hope BC (Where Rambo was filmed) at the famous Landslide

We stayed at the Cedars motel I usually stay in in Princeton BC...short day of 300kms...but we did start late.

Yep it was pretty smokey....fires were a couple of hundred kms from us

All quite at the station...off fighting for people's homes....so sad.

No signature

Day two we headed to Revelstoke...an amazing ski and snowmobile town that used to be sleepy in the summer time but has grown into a mountain bike destination....lots of dual sport riding too. And my since my teenage years, friend Gary's home.
    This was the worst of the smoke along 5A...one of my favorite roads in BC from Merritt to Kamloops...

This is a short cut I take to avoid the hwy running through Kamloops...12kms of dirt road....usually hard packed but you do have to watch for ranchers moving their horses around...

In Revelstoke I booked us in at a friend's lodge called Peaks Lodge....he was newly divorced around 2015 in Stratford Ontario when he decided to change his life....and did he ever! He had a successful Real estate business and he sold and moved across the country to be an Inn Keeper in a small mountain town.
    And then in 2017 a recently widowed woman stayed at his lodge with her daughters. A few weeks later she left a wonderful review on facebook of her stay at the lodge. They started chatting on Facebook and decided to meet...again.
    6 years later she moved herself and her daughters from Alberta to Revy. Both there adult children work and live at the lodge...I have met the kids and they are all wonderful humans.
    My buddy Pat the innkeeper

We got some much needed rain...the thunder and lightning remined my of home in Ontario...funny that in Victoria I can count on one hand how many times I've heard thunder in my 19 years there.

I'm planning on a winter trip there and Pat has a snowmobile to rent.
    His pub wasn't open Monday when we were there but he served us up pints anyway then gave me the keys to his truck to go into town for dinner.
    Me and my buddy Greg having some fun

We stopped at my buddy Gary's garage ...he was joining us for the rest of the trip....this is a Japan only KZ750...he has ana amazing collection....he even raced AMA sidecars in the late 70s early 70s...he was the "monkey....lol

No signature

Comment

So what was that thing in your tire?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Sounds like agreat trip Trevor. How far east/south are you guys getting this years? I was thinking I need a day ride up through the parks and check out the new TCH construction.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          So what was that thing in your tire?
          No idea....probably something that fell off a Harley.
          No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
            Sounds like agreat trip Trevor. How far east/south are you guys getting this years? I was thinking I need a day ride up through the parks and check out the new TCH construction.
            We stayed in Kaslo for a couple of days, then headed south and west on number 3....
            No signature

Comment

Always cool see photos from road trips & the stories behind them.
              Seems you know a lot a people in every province.
              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post

No idea....probably something that fell off a Harley.
                Crankshaft?......
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

So Tuesday we woke up to pouring rain....and I put a rainsuit on for the first time this year in 18,000kms...lol
                  We left Revelstoke for The Woodbury Resort just outside Balfour...about 40kms north of beautiful Nelson
                  Not a long day at only 214kms...but another ferry...and rain...We stopped in Nakusp for gas then headed on to 31a...another favorite road that leads to Kaslo where we loaded up on meats and cheeses etc at an awesome old time butcher there...then across the street for some wine and beer to take to the resort.

I came across this little resort on Lake Kootenay a few weeks ago while traveling solo...stayed in one of there little chalets and loved it...nice little pool and and beach...even some caves to explore.

Our dinner for the evening

On our day off we decided to rent a pontoon boat....that was fun!

No signature

Comment

You passed by the Necktie Phone Pole...

Wonder what the story is behind that.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I guess we did. Hmm I don’t know anything about that. Ok now I have to find out! Lol I report back
                      No signature

Comment

Working...
                      X