Suggestions for route to the tail of the dragon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for route to the tail of the dragon

I'm leaving from Trussville, Alabama on Monday morning headed to Robbinsville to the dragons tail.

Anybody know this area to suggest a good route? All my stuff just shows the quickest/boring routes.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Mr. Greg White is probably who you need to talk to. I am sure he has some good routes to get across Tennessee...

gbw
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I guess it's a matter of how far you're willing to go out of your way. Personally I rode the most direct route north out of just north of Atlanta on state roads to Tellico Plains TN and didn't see anything too impressive, nothing more than I'd have seen taking I-75 anyhow. From Tellico Plains to Robbinsville NC you take the Cherohala Skyway (TN 165/NC 143) which is a must ride road in that area.

I'm east of Bristol TN on The Snake (US 421) right now and for my money it's the better road to ride with practically zero traffic all week. Probably headed to Asheville NC next weekend to see Henry Rollins then on to Tellico Plains after that. Check out Smittys Motorcycle Lodge in Tellico Plains, $15 a night to camp or $50 for a cabin with a lean-to to park your bike under. You can head north about 1/2 hour from there and catch The Dragon from the TN side of you care to.
      Last edited by LAB3; 10-01-2023, 08:17 AM.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
      X