Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Central Ohio to Gatlinburg, TN

Hi everyone!

Every other summer my in-laws rent a place in Gatlinburg, TN for a week. The last few vacations, I've ridden my 74 CB550 down and hit some of the roads around Gatlinburg.

I'm just east of Columbus, so I'll often take some state routes down to US-23 on the Ohio River then take that down to TN, but I'm wondering if there are any other good options or detours I should take along the way. the last few times it's taken me 8-10 hours to get down there, mainly because I'm screwing around on side roads and chasing a good view.

It'll be the first week of June, but I'm already itching for the ride. I just acquired an 81 GS650G that I'm hoping to get in shape to do this ride with, so I'm excited to both take the new (to me!) on a longer trip.

I'm sure there are some good roads along the way. I'm not a huge fan of highway riding, but that may be that my little CB550 has no fairing and I typically have a small load out on it.

Mitch
    1981 GS650G / 1970 CB175 / 1974 CB550F / 1976 KZ750 Twin / 1976 GL1000

Here are a few pics from my last rides down:IMG_2202.jpg

Comment

IMG_8566.jpgHere's another one.

Comment

That route is a couple hours east of anything I know, but I would think that one you get close the the Ohio, anything that's not a highway should be a good time.

I prefer the twisties, but my view of riding highways is that you can't beat it for A to B. I don't like to sit behind a windshield, so I move to the rear pegs and lean on the wind. Loosen up and ride the buffeting. It only wears you out if you try to fight it. Hearing protection helps me fight fatigue too.

Corner carving or not, hunting down good views or other attractions is a good idea and something I'm only beginning to intentionally add to long rides. You have to take a break somewhere, so why not make it someplace good?

Apologies for not actually answering any questions. Lemme see... Have you ever stopped by the Red River Gorge in KY? If you ride the lift, it's only a very short hike to Natural Bridge.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
        X