Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next month I'm taking a 3,000 mile trip on my bike. Need suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was sent this earlier this summer. Maybe it will be of service to you

REAL BIKER’S CROSS COUNTRY CHECKLIST

TANK BAG
    Rain suit & Poncho Bungee cords
    Sweatshirt and/or Jacket liner Camera
    Face shield cleaner Maps & highlighter
    Bandana
    Spare glasses & shades Flashlight
    Notebook, Passport & Bible Pen & Pencil
    Ipod or CD player Earplugs
    __________________________________________________ _______

SADDLE BAGS
    Pants & Shorts Shirts Underwear (include long?) Ball cap
    Sneakers & Socks Drop kit (normal overnight stuff)

M/C STORAGE COMPARTMENTS ( 2 in fairing & 1 behind seat )
    Tool kit (with duct tape & wire) Tire repair kit
    Tire inflation device Cycle cleaning kit
    First Aid kit Electrical kit (with electrical tape & wire)
    Insurance & registration papers Shop towels
    Owners manual Stand supports
    Cell phone & GPS Tire pressure gauge

DUFFLE BAG (optional for camping only)
    Sleeping bag Pillow (buy at rally city)
    Air mattress Ground cover
    Tent, poles & pegs Seam sealer
    Camp chair Restroom bottle
    Insect repellent Bath towel
    Shower shoes Bath soap
    Camp axe (or hammer for pegs) Zip-loc & trash bags

Comment

No major changes in the last 1-2 weeks before the trip. This includes having major services done by reputable dealers.

It will often bite you in the a$$.
      Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Sounds like an exciting adventure. I especially like the reasons for going here & there...because you've never been there. You have explorer blood in you, I think.

Definately the PCH should be in your plans. I road the section that Hap & Dan mentioned. From Morro Bay north to Santa Cruz. Wrote a review about it here http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=100716. I hope the pics link still works. Check out the price of gas in Gorda...back in '06!

My PCH trip was part of a 9 day adventure to visit Mom in Phoenix. I did it in Oct/Nov, when riding across the desert was "warm". You're planning for JULY! Definately you'll need lots of water. And take advantage of every oasis you come to. Good luck! The heat will probably be your biggest challenge.

Stay in touch. When your travels find you heading to NorCal, I can offer you a pitstop. Maybe we can ride a stretch of road together.

For a travel guide, there is a publication called Destination Highways. It is compiled from a motorcycle riders perspective. Very comprehensive, but also very expensive. I bought the NorCal edition and have found many roads I want to try. Why? Because I haven't been there yet!

Comment

Just did 1500 miles last month, here is what I suggest.

Wear cycling shorts under the pants. they have padding and prevent seams from giving you saddle sores. I also wore long cycle pants with legs that prevent the wind from whipping my calves to pieces. Don't be afraid to overdress, even on a hot day the air keeps you cool and at night you'll be glad you're wearing a few layers.

Be prepared to buy a tire for the rear. I took a tire with 75% tread down to the bars in 5 days. The high speeds combined with extra weight from gear will wear it down.

Wear ear plugs. The wind noise is deafening at highway speeds all day.

Get roadside assistance service. I paid 16 dollars for a year of coverage. One problem needing a tow and your out 150 dollars. Even a new bike can have trouble. Or if you (God forbid) have a drop it can pay to get the bike off the road.

Here are the bags I got. I recommend them.

They held all my stuff, did not come loose and were very light.

I have a throttle lock, called a Vista Cruise, I cannot imagine touring without it. Holding the gas open for hours would get old and you can't take your hand off the right grip. With a throttle lock you can rest your arm and shoulder for a while.

I road in waterproof boots and jeans. I carried a 2 piece rain suit in a tail bag, and practiced getting in and out of it. I would recommend practicing these things with your gear before leaving home.

I installed a GPS on my bike and really liked having it. Instant speed check, mileage, time to destination, really cool. I used a mount for bicycle reflector to attach the mount to my bars, ran the power back under the seat to a cigarette lighter socket I wired into my bike.

Get a cheap 12 volt air compressor (Coleman makes one) and take the pump out. It is actually really small. Now if you pick up a nail you can nurse the tire to a station, or possibly use tire gunk to seal it and inflate. It is also handy for adjusting the pressure for altitude or temperature.
          Last edited by duaneage; 06-20-2008, 08:53 PM.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

everybody,

thank you for all the help. I'm currently collecting all the supplies together and compiling the list of sights I want to see. I'll post back when I have dates and places nailed down further. I would be more than happy if any one of you wanted to ride along during any part of the trip.

I've aquired a few things since I posted this

an Alaskan leather seat cover

Joe Rocket Pheonix mesh jacket for the hot barren desert roads(new enough is clearing them out and My JR Sonic Jacket may get a little too hot out there)

Teknic Chicane leather pants (new enough is also closing these out)

a multi function clock/radio/flashlight/cell phone charger. (sportsman's guide is clearing these out. it's cool because it's solar powered, battery powered, and you can crank it by hand as well.

a 2 piece rain suit in super bright yellow just in case. (also from New Enough)

Newenough.com is awesome too, they have impressed me on many occasions now. In the last month I've ordered Teknic Lightning gloves, Teknic Chicane leather pants, Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket, first gear 2 piece rain suit, Setup Vision boots and a kickstand coaster from them and they've been awesome. I sent them an email saying the boots didn't look brand new, like maybe they were worn out on a street once and they offered to have me send them back or to send a gift certificate without even seeing pictures of the boots. I took the certificate and ordered the Teknic gloves.

Comment

Looks like you're really getting this trip together. Sounds like a great time. This is the first trip with this bike so load the thing up and go for a good long day ride to see how the configuration works. Nothing is worse than heading out and having to spending time the first day fiddling with your bike and gear. You're going to have some long hot days so don't ride if you're overheated or fatigued and drink lots of water. I do this at gas stops and also carry some powdered Gatorade to add to water later in the day if I start feeling off a little. Remember this is supposed to be fun. Good Luck and have a safe trip.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
              X