Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best winter motorcycle destination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, no twisties or anything. But the scenery..

My last ride out of Key West began before sunrise - I timed that to occur while I was on the Seven Mile Bridge. Then I headed west on Alligator Alley, and across the Sunshine Highway to Clearwater. I've also done the southern route (I think it's 19). Spectacular scenery and wonderful weather in the winter!

I love the Florida Keys and Key West. And no helmet required anymore (so long as you have a little health insurance).

Alligator Alley used to be a very dangerous road, but it's much better now.

Riding down there is no more dangerous than on any other heavily traveled road. But then, I think nothing of riding in D.C. or Manhattan, so South Florida is a piece of cake. Those of you who aren't used to serious traffic may not like it...

But I have a lot of problems w/ the Great Southwest. First of all, the cops in Arizona were all over my @ss everytime I went there - never had such problems in any other state, so I don't go there anymore! Nevada and New Mexico are nice but it can get really cold there at times during the winter.

California is nice, but many parts are so packed with traffic and stuff that it's just not fun, and many of the best riding roads are ruined by sports cars that can't even stay on their side of the road as they race around on them.

Plus, it's getting into the rainy season, at least for northern California - I've been there (San Francisco up to Eureka) in February when it rained every day for weeks on end. Talk about no fun!
    Last edited by Guest; 01-12-2009, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I'd do weather profile for each destination for February

Midland, TX?

That's about the middle of no where, motorcycling or anything else.

If you want to ride the Texas hill country, fly to San Antonio and head north. You should be able to rent bikes there (same with Austin)
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        The road down the keys is long, dangerous and boring.

Yep, 100 miles of flat, straight road, mostly two lane and high density traffic. Speed limits between 25 and 45 mph and tourist traps filling the spaces between each bridge. If you can make the run between midnight and 5am, its a peaceful ride. Otherwise, I dont recommend it. LOL Look out for the blue light "tax collectors" too. hehe

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Hooters?

Or a bar/club with visual entertainment with a designated driver.

That could create some mammeries

ooppss I mean memories
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
          X