No announcement yet.

Oregon Coast to Maine in June of '09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow... up to hampden 'eh? what're you doing up here? (it's 15 minutes from my house here in Bangor)... give me a shout as the date approaches, perhaps we can meet up @ the end of the trip!

-Nate

Comment

Originally posted by howling60 View Post
      wow... up to hampden 'eh? what're you doing up here? (it's 15 minutes from my house here in Bangor)... give me a shout as the date approaches, perhaps we can meet up @ the end of the trip!

-Nate
      I bought an old camp on Hermon Pond, plus, I have a bunch of relatives in the area.

Where are the best rides around there?
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        I agree with you there.

FS 57 was paved for a ways last time I was there. I never believe Delorme or any other system because they just use old data and don't verify.

Call the Willamette National forest, or Ripplebrook ranger station and ask someone who knows. Just ask them if there's a paved route from Ripplebrook to Timothy.
        On 2nd thought, a pre ride run might just be in order come April or May to determine whether that's a good route for you. PM me about that
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
          I bought an old camp on Hermon Pond, plus, I have a bunch of relatives in the area.

Where are the best rides around there?
          I'm in Maine too. I'd love to hook up for a ride. Most of the roads between the coast and the mountains are fairly boring - meandering through the rolling hills of farm land. The best riding in the area is in the western mountains and over to New Hampshire.

Here's a nice route.

While you're heading east I'd recommend going through the Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. Trail Ridge Road is awesome.

Comment

Thanks

We'll have to meet up when I'm on ME next month. I'll be there late on Friday the 13th, so sometime that week maybe. My house in Hampden had the furnace go out in the cold snap last week, and all the pipes and maybe the water heater are frozen, so at least I have that to look forward to.

Know a furnace guy and a plumber?

We will be travelling through the Rockies farther North than Colorado. I'll save that for another trip.

There was a clean looking '81 850 G on Craig's list in Bangor. A black one with under 8000 miles listed for $950 last I saw it. I intend to look at it if he still has it. Did you see that bike? I bought one for 600 bucks in Waterville last June. My brother in Phoenix owns it now.

My name is Paul, by the way.
            Last edited by 850 Combat; 01-22-2009, 02:36 PM.

Comment

i couldn't tell you any good riding areas unfortunately, bought my first bike this fall, and it's half torn apart in my basement right now :P

now, nice DRIVES... if you head out towards the old town/orono/milo area... you can be in for a decent drive... backwoods areas... roads are... "ok" then of course, there are the coastal routes that always end up with good scenery & such, just have to deal with the normal glut of touristy traffic...

-Nate

Comment

Originally posted by howling60 View Post
                i couldn't tell you any good riding areas unfortunately, bought my first bike this fall, and it's half torn apart in my basement right now :P

now, nice DRIVES... if you head out towards the old town/orono/milo area... you can be in for a decent drive... backwoods areas... roads are... "ok" then of course, there are the coastal routes that always end up with good scenery & such, just have to deal with the normal glut of touristy traffic...

-Nate
                So, Nate...

A Corrado

I've got a totally bitchen '87 Scirocco 16V in the garage in Hampden, and an '81 Rabbit pickup with a 2 liter 16V in Oregon. You got a G60 or a VR6?

Are there any autocross clubs around there?

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                  So, Nate...

A Corrado

I've got a totally bitchen '87 Scirocco 16V in the garage in Hampden, and an '81 Rabbit pickup with a 2 liter 16V in Oregon. You got a G60 or a VR6?

Are there any autocross clubs around there?

ooohhh ooohhhh... a rocco? DEF BITCHIN!
                  got a "g60"... ble wup the stock charger.. replaced it with an eaton M90 (yeah... from a 3.8 t-bird)... blew up the 1.8 8v... just finished an 18 ish month build... to replace it with a 2.0 16V from a passat... 9:1 comp, shrick 268's... again, fed w/the eaton M90 @ approx 12psi via a GIANT FMIC...

now we CERTAINLY need to meet up...

-Nate

Comment

If you want to make good time and get to Maine early, adjust your riding schedule so you are on the road way before 5AM. The lack of traffic in the early am hours helps you get ahead of schedule, When the sun rises and you are already on the road you get a boost of adrenaline that will carry you through most of the day. If possible, my 600 plus mile days start very early.

Comment

Last tour we did was the Oregon and Northern Califirnia coasts, plus a couple days dual sport riding in the Oregon coastal range. Getting everybody moving at all was like herding cats. Even a gas stop with 5 guys seems to take 30 minuits.

We intend to camp about half the time. I hate to set up or break down camp in the dark. Fortunately, the days are long in June.

We are trying our best to stay away from traffic by avoiding all interstates and all major cities.

I don't like riding with commerce.

Each person you add in a riding group seems to deminish the group's ability to cover miles by 50 miles a day or so.

I have found 600 mile days doable in the past, even when I rode from Maine to So Cal in '85 on a worn out Triumph Trident.

I'm shooting for an average of 400 a day on this one.

Comment

For spare parts, The things that come to mind are:

1. Clutch cable
                        2. Throttle cable
                        3. Tire/tube repair kit and some tire irons along with something to inflate with.
                        4. Headlight/Signal/Taillight bulbs
                        5. Fuses, and some spare wire and connectors

And don't forget the handymans secret weapon, ... Duct Tape! hehehe, 1,001 uses for everything except ducts!

Oh, and a couple of pairs of vice grips, can be used for darned near everything in a pinch, no pun intended

And one last thought, if you bring it, you won't need it, if you decide to leave it home, you will need it at the worst possible time. That always seems to be the way it works for me.

Comment

Thanks.

I'm generally not mush on duct tape. I'm a Tie wire man! I use the heck out of that!

I'm thinking asbout a spare regulator. Does an '82 GS1100 thak the same one as a '80 GS 850?

Comment

Not knowing what your intended route is for the latter sections of your ride,
                            I am in the Hills near Rutland Vermont and this summer we are including motorcycles to run with the cars at a few of our hillclimb events. I am guessing you will pass through the area right between two of the events that are on the weekends of the 13th & 27th.
                            Since you are a car guy as well as a bike guy you might get a kick out the events.

Comment

Sounds great.

I don't know if we will be that far by then, but it sounds great. I happen to own a 1965 Lotus Super Seven Cosworth 1500, copies of which are regularly Busa powered. I have attended the Bible Creek hillclimb close to my house in OR, but was unable to run. I have run inumeral autocrosses and a number of track days with it.

Is yours a modified Formula 500? I can't make out the thumbnail too well.

I might want to hit that event next year.

Originally posted by Old Colt View Post
                              Not knowing what your intended route is for the latter sections of your ride,
                              I am in the Hills near Rutland Vermont and this summer we are including motorcycles to run with the cars at a few of our hillclimb events. I am guessing you will pass through the area right between two of the events that are on the weekends of the 13th & 27th.
                              Since you are a car guy as well as a bike guy you might get a kick out the events.

Comment

No, it is far beyond a F500, this is a clean sheet of paper designed for hillclimbs. It has allot more impact protection built in.

Sevens are cool, I have quite a bit of experience with a SCCA DP car having built and maintained a customers car from 1977 till 1998. I built the first SCCA approved rollcage that had no rear braces in that car. That first chassis is now down in Arizona. I built three chassis for that car over those years.

I also have an assortment of British stuff, 2 Elva Couriers, and a Jag 140 being the more interesting of them.
                                Last edited by Guest; 01-31-2009, 10:44 PM. Reason: I could

Comment

Working...
                                X