No announcement yet.

Good Roads near SW Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Mr. Steve finishes getting my bike up and going count me in on some of the wekend day rides. Looking foward to Brown county coming up here soon with the GS'ers and then WV with Goldwingers, nothing planned after that.

Comment

Just a few SW OH pics....or close by

I think it is spring...

Comment

Originally posted by winfield View Post
        I have been enjoying this thread that's stretched out over a couple of years. Read it through from the beginning.

Thanks for starting it ToeJam1. I bought a bike in December and have just now got it running good and will be looking for places to ride (notice I live in Northern KY).

ToeJam1, you mentioned some places I am very familiar with. Glad to see you made it to Rabbit Hash, the bike Mecca around here. I suppose you went to the old store, got a soda, sat on the bench overlooking the Ohio River, and pet the dog (who also happens to be the Mayor).

You also were in some of my old stomping grounds when you were at the Perryville Battlefield State Park. Lots of nice roads to ride on in KY. I always wanted to ride a bike on Rt. 68 from Lexington and going South West. That was such a windy road when I lived down there. They since have ruined, I mean straightened out some of it. According to a book I read, that route basically followed an old buffalo path. I believe it because you can see how it just followed the path of least resitance. You said you were an historian. You may find that book interesting, "The Frontiersman" by Alan Eckert. If you're in Frankfurt again, you can find a route that more or less follows the KY River and follow it out to the Ohio River. You'll wind up at Carrolton, KY. Follow 42 east and you can cross over the Ohio at the Markland Dam. DON"T stop at the River Boat on the Indiana side (not a fan of gambling).

I can't wait to do more exploring and I'll take my camera to get some shots of the pretty country side in KY so I can post it on GSR.
        Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll keep that route in mind. I will be back to Perryville some day. Share those pics when you get them!

Comment

Conrail we hit a lot of the same roads.

Comment

Originally posted by toejams1 View Post
            Conrail we hit a lot of the same roads.
            If you're looking for twistie fun Indiana SR262 running from aurora to rising sun is a playground of goodness. We ran it back from the BCR and aside from the Sunday drivers it was bliss.

Comment

Could be

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                If you're looking for twistie fun Indiana SR262 running from aurora to rising sun is a playground of goodness. We ran it back from the BCR and aside from the Sunday drivers it was bliss.
                Yuppers that is a fun road along with..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  Yes it is. I've ridden that road a lot as it's only about 20 minutes from my home. IN 229 from Metamora to Batesville is pretty fun also.

Comment

Cafe was this yours?

Comment

Is that at SWOKZ? I think it might be the one he had, just shortly after he got it. He always rode his with a Corbin seat, Avon tires, Napoleon bar-ends, and a black lower scoop instead of the full lower fairing. OTOH, the helmet and tank bag seem familiar, and the Oury grips are correct. I think I even see the zip-tie slots in the left side cover that were insurance against it falling off.

I'm curious now to get the definitive answer, because there are a lot of clues that are conflicting to me.

I know way to much about Josh's former ES.
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Coudla been the SWOKZ

Could this be the same bike last fall?
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2011, 06:43 AM.

Comment

west side here guys. so whenever you plan a ride soon lemme know i am all in!

Comment

41 S from Greenfield to Aberdeen, although I prefer to ride it north bound.
                            124 from Hillsboro east.
                            134 from Wilmington south.
                            73 from Hillsboro southeast. Along the edge of Shawnee State forest.
                            247 from Hillsboro south.
                            125 from Georgetown east. Through Shawnee State forest.
                            136 South of Hillsboro.
                            Old 68 south of Georgetown.

I like to head out 134 to 32 to 136 to 125 to Portsmouth, grab some fresh cooked pork rinds, see the murals, then come home on 73.

As for 555...omg. I rode that a couple years ago on my ST1300. I have issues with blind crests and that road kicked my @$$. But lord it was fun.

Comment

"125 from Georgetown east. Through Shawnee State forest."

That is a cool road and very scenic, but it is where I experienced for the 1st time what a little gravel on the road can do to your rear tire when leaned over in a turn. I didn't go down, but it sure scared the $&*! out of me.

Comment

We have a SWOXS ride planned on the 14th of august and this is the short version,work etc has cut 60 miles or so off.

I don't know the start place yet..still waiting to find out but it will be 10am at I 71 and RT 73 is all I know so far.We are a social group so we like to chat at what ever stops there are and we don't wanna make this an all day deal.We got things.
                                Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2011, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X