Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejams1 View Post
    "125 from Georgetown east. Through Shawnee State forest."

That is a cool road and very scenic, but it is where I experienced for the 1st time what a little gravel on the road can do to your rear tire when leaned over in a turn. I didn't go down, but it sure scared the $&*! out of me.
    If you would like a great ride there take rt52 east,hit Grants home rest area,then the dam,take the ferry acrossto Augusta Ky,rt 8 to Maysville and check out the flood wall,cross back to OH there and rt52 to Portsmouth to that flood wall
    ohiobarns.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ohiobarns.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

And then to Shawnee State Park and stay at the lodge...

Did that about three times now and enjoyed each trip and then choose a way home on the back roads.

Comment

Originally posted by conrail View Post
      If you would like a great ride there take rt52 east,hit Grants home rest area,then the dam,take the ferry acrossto Augusta Ky,rt 8 to Maysville and check out the flood wall,cross back to OH there and rt52 to Portsmouth to that flood wall
      ohiobarns.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ohiobarns.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

And then to Shawnee State Park and stay at the lodge...

Did that about three times now and enjoyed each trip and then choose a way home on the back roads.
      I've ridden most of that route. Beutiful scenery. I drove thru Shawnee Park, but haven't stayed there. I told my wife I'd like to pull our camper there one time.

Comment

Originally posted by toejams1 View Post
        Yes it is. I've ridden that road a lot as it's only about 20 minutes from my home. IN 229 from Metamora to Batesville is pretty fun also.
        62 is good. We usually run IN250 into that, but 250 before 62 is kinda boring, moreso than I remembered it being. Has little spurts but I think looking at 62 and how it dead ends into 262 we may try that instead sometime. 62 all the way looks more enjoyable. Now from there we'd run 250 out of Madison (just outside of) to Brownstown. Not super twisty but it will suprise you in spots. It caught me out a couple years ago with a chicane of unmarked 20mph curves (that have since been marked) that crop up out of nowhere. Caught FoxyBLankworthy out this year with another set full of gravel. And to answer the question yes that is my 1100ES (or was) just after I bought it and hadn't "perfected" it for me just yet.

Comment

Cafe Kid...did you know you had a birthday today
          Ride safe...you got 22 years to catch up to me
          We are considering a covered bridge ride on our next SWOXS ride.This is a great site to look at.

Comment

Good SW ohio roads

I just read this thread that stretches over a couple of years. I live in Hillsboro and ride nearly all of the roads mentioned here. One of my favorites is 247 from Hillsboro to Sr 52 on the river. 73, 42 and SR 32 are all good rides. I also like KY. 8,10 and 32.
            If anyone is still riding this area I would enjoy hooking up for a ride.

Comment

Originally posted by graybeard View Post
              I just read this thread that stretches over a couple of years. I live in Hillsboro and ride nearly all of the roads mentioned here. One of my favorites is 247 from Hillsboro to Sr 52 on the river. 73, 42 and SR 32 are all good rides. I also like KY. 8,10 and 32.
              If anyone is still riding this area I would enjoy hooking up for a ride.

This thread needed a bump. There are a lot of good roads in your neck of the woods. I rode with a few members last year in SE Indiana. It's hard for me to ride for any length of time with twin 2 year old girls at home. However, keep posting on here as there are a lot of members within 100 miles of you. I'm sure you can get together. There are also some annual rallies near you. I believe there is one in Brown County Indiana in May, and one at the Gorge sometime in July I believe. One of these years I plan on getting to one of these rallies.....one of these years.

Check out the threads in the GS meeting place for more details.
              Would you like to get together with other GS owners for a day trip? How about a rally? Place your request in here. Be sure to include the place and time of your proposed ride in your message.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2012, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Just noticed this post this morning. I just got my 81 650E up and running. I live in Western Hills/Delhi OH. I am close to SE Indiana and 5 minutes from downtown Cincinnati.

I grew up in SE Indiana and know a TON of fun roads, some of the best are Route 1 toward perfect north slopes and up to tower road. Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by GS650E_81 View Post
                  Just noticed this post this morning. I just got my 81 650E up and running. I live in Western Hills/Delhi OH. I am close to SE Indiana and 5 minutes from downtown Cincinnati.

I grew up in SE Indiana and know a TON of fun roads, some of the best are Route 1 toward perfect north slopes and up to tower road. Good times.
                  Oh really? Any advice on the best route to Bedford for the Brown County rally? We've tried a few things, but we can't find a way around that boring stretch of 250.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                    Oh really? Any advice on the best route to Bedford for the Brown County rally? We've tried a few things, but we can't find a way around that boring stretch of 250.
                    Never actually been to Bedford. Is that up past Metamora?

Comment

Naw, way west of there. South of Bloomington.
                      Dogma
                      --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Naw, way west of there. South of Bloomington.
                        Last time I went anywhere near there was when I was going to Purdue a few years back.

Comment

... but we can't find a way around that boring stretch of 250.
                          Where is this 250 of which you speak?

I just looked on the map and can not find it.

Thought I would try something other than our usual route ... 50.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Where is this 250 of which you speak?

I just looked on the map and can not find it.

Thought I would try something other than our usual route ... 50.

Follow 50 east out of Bedford toward Brownstown, look just south of Brownstown, you'll see IN250, goes south east...gets curvy here and there and gets real curvy in spots, but between Madison (have to jaunt over a couple of roads round Madison to catch 250 again) and Brownstown it's pretty flat and straight and damn boring to be honest.

Comment

Here's the stretch I'd like to improve upon. The portion east of Brownstown is the section I'd like to avoid. The basic problem is that there is a flat plain that runs all the way south to Louisville. The only way I can see to avoid it is to detour through Kentucky. Not necessarily a bad thought.
                              Dogma
                              --

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Here's the stretch I'd like to improve upon. The portion east of Brownstown is the section I'd like to avoid. The basic problem is that there is a flat plain that runs all the way south to Louisville. The only way I can see to avoid it is to detour through Kentucky. Not necessarily a bad thought.
                                Not a bad thought but keep in mind Jimmy is just coming off of getting his guts cut open so has had zero seat time and probably won't have much before then, so I'm gonna doubt he is up for a 12 hours in the saddle kinda day just to get out there. We may have to deal with the "doldrums" to keep the rest of the posse healthy

Comment

Working...
                                X