Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice little Calif, Nevada, Utah, Arizona loop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    Not drawing much of a crowd at all, maybe three cars, one motor home and one guy on a Concours.

That's about it, for the whole 50 or so miles.
    It was just something I read at a website. Many people want to keep the backroads as natural as possible. With easier access sometimes the rif-raf starts coming in and things go downhill. I can see their point.
    It's nice though that we can ride it now.
    Weather is looking good for my trip. I'll be leaving Monday about 3:00. I'm kind of half excited and half nervous. Hoping for some good memories. I should have some pics to share when I get back.
    Thanks for the replies and sharing your trip. Ride safe and we'll talk to you later.
    Keith.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Been back a few days. Thought I should mention what happened.
      Had to come home after just 2 days. I planned and planned and got lucky as for a week of dry weather but the wind got me.
      I left Monday even though I read that strong winds were in the forecast. I hoped the winds would be less than forecast. Wednesday they were simply too strong. 30 to 40 mph with gusts of 65, over a very large area. I'm so glad I made a smart decision to go home. Staying over at the hotel to ride out Wednesday would screw up the whole timing of the trip. Thursday was still 20+ winds anyway. Riding with the bike at an angle was just too much.
      My pack was too heavy too and with the wind changing my riding posture the straps were hurting my upper arms. Just no fun. This was supposed to be a ride, not a contest.
      I also had a problem with my pack zippers. Not sure if it's happened to any of you but it appears the wind can open zippers if you position them at the top of the compartment (two zippers butted up against each other)? That's how I positioned them on the Yosemite ride with no issues, though I had the pack stuffed more this time. When I pulled into a gas station a guy there said my upper flap was open and stuff was about to fall out. Not like me to miss zipping things up. He zipped them back up but I'm not sure how the zippers were positioned. I thought all was good but when I reached my motel and took off my pack one of the two flaps was open again. I doubt he could have missed one either as the two zippers are only a couple inches apart. That's why I'm thinking the wind can open them up. I lost my cell phone charger and some other hygiene stuff. I'm just glad the stuff didn't fall out and smack my rear seat cowl. That could've been bad. They must've just flew straight out (due to high speeds)? That bag of stuff I had was pretty heavy.
      I re-positioned the zippers to be down at one side and they didn't move on the trip home.
      So it wasn't meant to be I guess. Probably a good thing the wind came up because in hindsight I may have really hurt my arm if I kept going. The strap on the pack was partially cutting off circulation that I didn't fully recognize until I got home. It's about 3 days at home now and my arm still feels funny.
      It was a learning experience. Hope any of you thinking of a long trip really think about how you're prepared to go. Probably most of my problem is caused by the bike. The 14 just isn't comfortable enough. But some of my problems could happen to anyone.
      I plan to go again sometime but I'll make some changes to the bike. Besides a bar kit/better seat, I'm getting a pack that straps to the seat so I can get some weight out of my backpack. I'm not into saddle bags so this combo should work for me.
      I just hope I can pick another time where the weather will be as dry for a week. The cold front that came in was called "unseasonable". It normally wouldn't come in.
      Last edited by KEITH KRAUSE; 06-19-2010, 04:10 PM.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I'll be following a lot of the same route you picked Keith, on my way out to CA in September. I'll have to cross N Dakota and Montana though, as I'm dropping down through Yellowstone, stopping in Ogden to visit my daughter and grandkids, then I'll chop through 89 and Zion on my way to St. George and out through the desert to Yucca Valley. I've planned a much more fun ride this time than what I did 3 years ago, except since it'll be September the weather probably won't be much better than the first week of June was.

Comment

Dan, good luck with the weather. September makes sense in many ways. It's really hard to find a good window I can tell you. I guess it's just a roll of the dice sometimes.
          I noticed you said you'll take the 89 and go through Zion? Be aware they're doing major road work on the "Zion tunnel" (Mount Carmel) road which I believe you're planning to take to reach St.George. I don't remember the exact date when work stops but it may impact your planned route so go to the park site and check road closures/conditions and get the details. Last I read the road is closed to all from 7 AM to 4PM, Mon-Fri. After those times you could still expect delays I heard.
          If it is a problem you could always go a little more south to get to St.George, though not as scenic. From the 89 you could also head west on the 14. Supposed to be very beautiful and depending on when you leave in September the Aspens, etc, show their fall colors I'm told. A couple of very high passes, about 11,000 ft/10,000 ft. If you went 89 to 14 that would add a bit of superslab to your route though as you'd have to take the 15 south to StG.
          I'm sure you know what's there. I'm just rambling.
          Have a great trip and I hope the weather is pleasant.

Comment

Working...
          X