No announcement yet.

Ohio to Seattle - if you could?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a member who went from S Illinois to Seattle for the summer a few years ago, I can't remember who that is. He rode a GS 550

It's just over 2,800 miles from Columbus to Seattle, so you'd have to average 500 miles/day to make time for breakdowns and adventures (like touring Yellowstone Park and the Black Hills)

Just head west and north until you get to the Black Hills. There's lots of roads, forget about the Interstate, it's boring. SW Wisconsin has the good roads before you hit the prairie
    Last edited by Big T; 03-15-2011, 11:47 AM.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

In '09, I planned a cross country tour with my brothers for about 5000 miles in 11 days, at mostly about 400 miles per day. None of my brothers ever had attempted anything like this.

I had a 600 plus mile day planned for the first day, just so they would know what we were in for.

Late in the second day, one of my brothers hit a rock, and broke the front wheel. This put us back about 3 days, so there was time to make up. We ended up having to do several back to back 600 mile days. 3 of the bikes were unfaired GS's, an 1100G and two '80 850G's.

We managed to avoid interstates almost 100% of the time. It was a blast, nobody had any problems putting in the miles. We very rarely went over 65 mph.

You don't need a big rig touring bike. You don't need a windshield.

The thing you need is the time.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        There is a member who went from S Illinois to Seattle for the summer a few years ago, I can't remember who that is. He rode a GS 550
        Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
        You don't need a big rig touring bike. You don't need a windshield.

The thing you need is the time.
        I can't remember his name either, he lives down by where the JC Whitney building is, just west of there. I picked him up in St. Cloud, MN, we ate at TGIFriday's, then rode up the Great River Road along the Mississippi, stopped to look at Lindbergh State Park, then went to my house, did some wrenching on his bike, and sent him off in a westerly direction the next morning. He was having speedometer drive problems then as I remember. he was doing an internship at Microsoft.

I don't need a big touring bike either, but I'm an old guy and I need my windshield/fairing and all that stuff.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2011, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
          I'm an old guy and I need my windshield/fairing and all that stuff.

I feel sorry for you old guys. We were all between 50 and 60 at the time.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post

It's just over 2,800 miles from Columbus to Seattle, so you'd have to average 500 miles/day to make time for breakdowns and adventures (like touring Yellowstone Park and the Black Hills)

Just head west and north until you get to the Black Hills. There's lots of roads, forget about the Interstate, it's boring. SW Wisconsin has the good roads before you hit the prairie
            His name was Paul. Went by p_s here. Met him at BC three years ago when it rained all weekend and Griffins stator went south and he did a one handed walking wheelie in the parkinglot with his 700. Ha! God I wish I'd had a video camera. Paul's a cool dude. Wonder what happened to him?

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
              I feel sorry for you old guys. We were all between 50 and 60 at the time.
              Uh, oh, we're in the same age bracket, better shut my mouth!!!!!

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              His name was Paul. Went by p_s here. Met him at BC three years ago when it rained all weekend and Griffins stator went south and he did a one handed walking wheelie in the parkinglot with his 700. Ha! God I wish I'd had a video camera. Paul's a cool dude. Wonder what happened to him?
              Yeah, I found his name in my phone, still got his cell phone number if it's still the same.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Long mileage days are not a big deal for me. I've done as much as 700 miles in a day and rode the twisties the next day in Suches, Ga. Did 430 miles last summer on a saturday south east ohio jaunt. I realize that stringing multiple days together is a bit more daunting, however that's not the big worry. Just time and $$.
                As for the route, I've only mapquested the miles to get an idea. I'm not a big fan of super slab - except to make time.
                Having said that: I have relatives in Wisconsin that I would probably stay at first. Then a brother in Rapid City, SD (black hills). Probably stay at least a day there. Then I would head to Seattle from there. Hitting as many points of interest that time would permit.

The return trip is where it might get exciting. I would, of course, LOVE to ride the Pacific coast highway the entire way, down to San Diego. From there, I'd hit either Tucson OR Phoenix. On to somewhere in New Mexico, thru Texas to New Orleans. At that point, I'd just bee line it back to Columbus.

Of course, there would be lots of planning to exit the super slab as often as possible.

So, all ideas are welcome and appreciated. Had a meeting today and this looks more like an opportunity!!!!

Comment

I should add, not that it's necessary, however - at 46 yrs young, my daughter will be in college next year, then I have two sons who will be a few years behind her in increments.
                  This is really starting to look like my best possible chance for a trip of a life time. The wife isn't too keen on this idea though.....

Comment

Dave, I would suggest you go for it.

I agree that it sounds like this might be your best chance to take a trip like this. No one is guaranteed tomorrow and if you can get the vacation time, not break the bank, or end up in divorce court you should go. Lots of GSers along the way I am sure could help you out with a spare couch and a good meal to help make the trip happen.
                    82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                    81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                    83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                    06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                    AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Just a thought:

While I have often regretted not taking a trip I almost never regret having taken one.

Have fun on your ride...

Comment

Buckeye,

In 1984, Firestone moved me from Akron to Mexico. my motorcycle had to stay in the US - company policy. So I decided to take the trip of a lifetime in case I never rode again. My GS650G was only two years old. I had a Plexifairing, big tank bag and soft saddle bags, adjustable back rest and luggage rack. I had up to three weeks, late August to mid-September.

Route was Akron -> Des Moines -> Bloomington, IL -> Denver area -> Seattle -> Phoenix -> Albuquerque -> Des Moines -> Cedar Rapids, where the bike was stored. Interstate about 2/3 the way. A 2 gallon gas can was I bungeed to the luggage rack as a reserve for deep boonies, but it was never needed. Rode about 800 miles most days, did Albuquerque to Des Moines in 1.2 days. I had a foam pad to sit on part of the time. Throttle lock for "cruise control". Crash bars with highway pegs gave variation in seating position.

Only mechanical problem was that the cylinder base gasket started to leak. I just let my left boot get oily. Changed oil and filter at my brother's in Seattle.
                        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Buckeye,
                          I just landed landed in Seattle at 0200 today, two days after finally gettng my 83 GS 850G running for the first time. I currently live in Ohio and all I can think about is how I wish I had my bike out here in Seattle! Washington looks like alot better riding than what I have seen in Columbus.

Go for it

Cheers!

Comment

Some years ago, GS member pano and I did somewhere near 2500 miles in the course of a long July 4th weekend. Rode to Nova Scotia and the Cabot Trail. Do yourself a favor and in the planning of the ride, make sure you account for some down time. Even if you can handle the physical stress, the mental stress can creep up on you.
                            Currently bikeless
                            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                            X