No announcement yet.

Okanogan Highlands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife's Dad (now deceased) Built their family cabin there. We went once in the 80's to check it out. I think it was along the west side, grouped with other cabins. I didn't even notice the town, thought it was a park.

I love riding eastern wa. roads. Lot's a places to wander.

Comment

Originally posted by duper850 View Post
      My wife's Dad (now deceased) Built their family cabin there. We went once in the 80's to check it out. I think it was along the west side, grouped with other cabins. I didn't even notice the town, thought it was a park.

I love riding eastern wa. roads. Lot's a places to wander.
      Duper, are you talking about Conconully?
      Our cabin is on the far end of main street across from the old ranger workshop.

Comment

Yes, west side of the lake. I remember driving amongst the trees and several cabins nearby. Bethards were their name. Really small cabin with loft, very cool. Ted Bethards built it in the summers as a highschool kid.

Comment

Yes, west side of the lake. I remember driving amongst the trees and several cabins nearby. Bethards were their name. Really small cabin with loft, very cool. Ted Bethards built it in the summers as a highschool kid.
          Doesn't ring a bell but I'll ask the wife. She is the keeper of all such things.....

Comment

i dont think ive been to that specific area before, but I've been through Chelan and leavenworth a bunch of times. Everytime i go to Eastern WA, it kills me that i dont have my GS with me and that northern part in particular is gorgeous! This year I made it a plan to buy a bike better suited to cruising around the state, A GS1150 or a triumph thunderbird 900 were at the top of my list, but those are hard to come by locally. I eventually found another hard to find bike, an 86 gsxr750 but that bike as much as I love it is hardly state cruising material! Maybe I just need to buy a truck and haul my bikes around! Anyhow, if a GS rally in that area builds up some steam, maybe i'll build up the courage to ride across the cascades. Traveling across those mountains and seeing the landscape change is part of the adventure.

Comment

Well, Mapball, it's about 250 miles Seattle to Okanogan/Omak and another 22 or so up to the state park in Conconully. I know people do it but riding to Conconully on a gixxer packed with camping equipment doesn't sound like fun to me. It would not be too bad if you didn't have to pack so much. Now if you were staying in one of the cabins or motels, you could manage with just a tank and tail bag.

I'd love to host a rally, but things have just been too unsettled in my personal life to jump into that this year.

Either way you get there, North Central Washington is stunning to ride.
              If you go, a beer at the Chesaw tavern is a must.

I expect to be in Conconully sometime in August. Before I go, I will set a time to be at the Chesaw Tavern and I will buy a beer for any GSR member who shows.

Comment

Originally posted by DMorris View Post
                Before I go, I will set a time to be at the Chesaw Tavern and I will buy a beer for any GSR member who shows.
                Careful now. What if the whole forum shows up? lol

I don't think I'll be able to make it with my bike. A one seater, low riding cafe racer isn't good for a 250 mile ride .

Comment

Originally posted by Flaming Chainsaws View Post
                  Careful now. What if the whole forum shows up? lol

I don't think I'll be able to make it with my bike. A one seater, low riding cafe racer isn't good for a 250 mile ride .
                  Well, Chainsaw, if the whole forum showed, I'd buy them ALL a beer! Maybe TWO! Past two, I stop riding!

Comment

I see all kinds of bikes out there in the summer, sportbikes alot, cafe "not so much" but if its what you got just stop alot. Take the north cascade highway to Winthrop (sweet ride on any bike) and go on to Lake Concunully. Not sure of the distance between the lake and Winthrop, probably 1 1/2 hour?? I ride up to the brewery at Winthrop for a beer about twice a summer (saturdays) I think in about 4.5 hrs with stops. Once left Winthrop and went thru Omak to Priest Lake some logging roads to boot (1980). I can't wait till this riding season opens for me, just got my bike (about my 4th) this past summer after a 5 yr layoff. I'm gonna ride about 4 more years and really want to get out there and ride long and lonely. Then my grandkids will be old enough to enjoy a boat.

And if your wondering, the answer is yes I would ride to that lake for a beer.

Comment

I see all kinds of bikes out there in the summer, sportbikes alot, cafe "not so much" but if its what you got just stop alot. Take the north cascade highway to Winthrop (sweet ride on any bike) and go on to Lake Concunully. Not sure of the distance between the lake and Winthrop, probably 1 1/2 hour?? I ride up to the brewery at Winthrop for a beer about twice a summer (saturdays) I think in about 4.5 hrs with stops. Once left Winthrop and went thru Omak to Priest Lake some logging roads to boot (1980). I can't wait till this riding season opens for me, just got my bike (about my 4th) this past summer after a 5 yr layoff. I'm gonna ride about 4 more years and really want to get out there and ride long and lonely. Then my grandkids will be old enough to enjoy a boat.

And if your wondering, the answer is yes I would ride to that lake for a beer.
                      Duper,
                      I originally made the offer for the Chesaw tav but if you show up in Conconully while I'm there, I will certainly buy you a beer at the Sit-N-Bull.

Comment

Either place is fine with me, where is the Chesaw tavern? I have a work buddy talked up to going to that lake for a beer, he rides a madura 1200.
                        We'll be stopping alot!lol

Comment

It's located in beautiful downtown Chesaw. Thats in the hills east of Oroville and Tonasket.

Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps.

Edit: I don't know why this picture is so small. A bigger one can be seen on my profile page.
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2011, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Man I miss it up there

Comment

Here's a shot circa 93' at the lake camping. 2 gals on 550ES's, my buddies 86' GSXR 1100, and my old 80' 1100. We all rode from Bellingham which is 90 miles shorter distance than Seattle or an hour and a half.

Took me awhile to find, scan, rotate and upload this photo. A GSXR made a 4.5 + hour ride with a 250 lbs guy on board, so its possible, just a bit more challenging.

I rode a buddies 87' 750 from Berkeley to LA, and that seat was agony. I rotated the photo on Photobucket to landscape, but here it is vertical. Sorry
                              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Here's a shot on the way home over North Cascades.

GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
                                X