Ride to Limon after Court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ride to Limon after Court

So after my court case today (read my Stress...Hard Part thread in O/T), I decided to not go back to work but take a little ride instead. I didn't make it to the mountains simply because I wanted to take a different route today. So, I headed east from my place out to Limon Colorado.

Now, eastern Colorado is about as boring as you can except for one thing - there is scenery if you like the small towns, old farmhouses, and ranches. Although there are a few curves in the run, there's no major twisties and those curves are really the kind you can take at 65 and never really have to lean into them.

The first 2/3 of the ride was uneventful until I started back into Colorado Springs. I first learned how hard it was to go from 60 to 0 when the second stoplight in Falcon (next to the Safeway for those who live here too) went from green to red when I was only 100 feet from it. I ended up locking up the back brakes twice (released and let go both times) and took the entire 100 feet + an additional 5 to stop. So, I know I'll need to do some more work on getting on my front brake.

Then, about 3 miles later, I saw a piece of a car bumper in the left lane so I started moving right in my lane (I was in the right already). I thought the car in front of me in that left lane would simply move right to miss it...typical maneuver right? NOPE. The young lady ran that bumper over and kicked it over to my lane. Fortunately, I was far enough over that it wasn't much more I had to do to miss it. Then I watched the car behind run that dang thing over again.

Here's some pictures from that part of the ride.

Coming into Punkin Center which is where Co 94 and Co 71 meet up; this is only a storage area for the DOT plows. You can also see the sign saying no plowing at night so if you're stuck on them roads better get off before the sun sets.

One of my favorite views of a ravine that is out that way. Not much but it sure is pretty when you drive through

Coming into Limon (see the grain elevators in the distance?) I sure love small towns.

Limon's main industry - the prison

Leaving Limon on US hwy 24. Can't tell but there's one of the small curves I got to go through. Sadly though the wind was blowing hard enough out that way I didn't dare chance leaning into them very much.

Along the highway all the way back into towns are these old bridges for either a set of train tracks or an old wagon trail that isn't there any more.

And the obligatory Pikes Peak picture on the way back in to town.

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Once I got back into town I picked up a new screw from Ace for my clutch cover and went by Apex Motorsports to order the two seals for my countershaft sprocket. While there I saw this Triumph display set up going on.

a 1951 Triumph motorcycle

A speed triple

and this naked bike they were working on

Thanks for looking folks.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Yikes, A bumper in the road. A bumper !
      Good job of antisipating and avoiding it.

Intersting ol' Triumph.

So, after court you rode past the prison.
      Suppose could make some kinda joke about that if I tried hard enough.

Thanks for posting photos of the road.
      So, the one curve is an interscetion with a traffic light.
      Still Looks like a better option than going back to work.

Dave
      Last edited by Redman; 06-21-2011, 09:07 PM. Reason: speeling

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        Yikes, A bumper in the road. A bumper !
        Good job of antisipating and avoiding it.

Intersting ol' Triumph.

So, after court you rode past the prison.
        Suppose could make some kinda joke about that if I tried hard enough.

Thanks for posting photos of the road.
        So, the one curve is an interscetion with a traffic light.
        Still Looks like a better option than going back to work.

Dave
        What's really funny is I thought the same thing as I drove by it. Sure wish I could have made that one come true

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Certainly had riding in the rain in mind with that old triumph.
          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
          X