Three Mountain Ranges: Greens, Adirondacks, and Catskills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three Mountain Ranges: Greens, Adirondacks, and Catskills

Having just restored my '79 GS850, I thought it would be nice to put some miles on. As it turned out, I was finally able to pick my '95 BMW K75 up in NY. My plan was to take the GS out and ride the K bike back. I'll collect the GS later when I can catch a ride with my brother. The brief for the ride was simple -- as little superslab as practical, and days under 400 miles. I wanted to stop in at Lyon Mountain, NY to see the abandoned iron mines, and continue down through the Adirondacks to my destination.

The first day's route looked like this:

The roads in Vermont were in fair to poor condition, improving as I headed west. VT Route 58 is partially unpaved through Hazen's Notch. The GS proved to be a stable and competent performer on the gravel -- surprising for a bike of its heft. The scenery through the notch was spectacular. Love this old bike! To be continued.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-04-2011, 06:35 PM.

maps aren't showing up. Used to live in Pittsford VT. Miss those VT roads
    Sure some are rough but the scenery makes up for it. You'll have to try for the Moosehead Rally after Labor Day
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
      Bugger. On dial-up, sending files is sometimes unreliable. Will try a different method.

Comment

This is how Warchild looked dressed up near the head of Lake Champlain when I stopped for a well-deserved pee. Unfortunately, I was finding out that even though there are under 23k miles on the clutch plates, they've sat too long. They are slipping at high RPM. Likely, a PO put any old oil in. I've already contacted the dealer in Oneonta, NY, who will replace them before I ride back. All in all, what a fantastic bike. There is a zone at about 4500 rpm that I love. I rely on the DeLorme GPS -- great unit, shown mounted on the bars. The Nelson-Rigg 850 soft bags are a real value also -- although I'm one rain cover down at this point. I have trash bags.

Last edited by Guest; 07-04-2011, 06:44 PM.

Comment

The roads across northeastern New York were very good. A pleasure riding them. My GPS sent me down one hell-track of cold-patch near Lyon Mountain, but the GS did well. I rode into town, and started looking for landmarks. There are enormous piles of sand all around -- the phosphorus-free iron that made the town famous was contained in it. Here's my 850 in front of a primary mine building and the "lift house," which contained enormous gantry cranes.

Lift house:

Mine entry, I think.

Rather scary and post-apocalyptic being there alone. I did run into a large family with a bunch of kids on the way out, so I assume they take regular walks up there.

Comment

The riding wasn't particularly special down to Tupper Lake on SR3. Long tree-fenced runs without much variety. It reminded me of some roads through northern Maine, where I felt there was something great to see somewhere out of my vision. However, I gassed up in Tupper Lake, and had a nice conversation with two very polite young fellows at a convenience store, (we're not lost yet!). I was rewarded with this view at the state pull-off:

Comment

The ride down from Tupper Lake to Speculator and beyond is a treat on SR30! I'm sorry, but I was so busy enjoying things that I didn't get off and snap any pics. There were changes in elevation, twisties, and one great view after another. I ended up being sorry that I hadn't fit another day in. In my opinion, off the slab in the East, 300 miles is a reasonable day, given the population density. Westerners may sneer at this, but 35 mph zones really cut into the total. I want to go back and re-explore the Catskills, preferably in the Autumn. There are some lovely secondary roads, although one rattled my molars.
              Last edited by Guest; 07-05-2011, 10:04 AM.

Comment

I picked up the BMW K75 and pointed back North. There seemed an age of development between the two bikes -- fuel injection, monoshock, and a fair amount of plastic had sprouted up in the 16 years since the GS rolled off the line. I wasn't exactly comfortable with it. I found myself missing the big, flat seat on the GS, for one. The return route stayed close to the original for the first third, then headed north and east. Route 8 through the DAKs, while rough in spots, is a phenomenal rider's road.

Comment

I ended up in Crown Point, NY. The lovely arched bridge spanning NY and VT suffered a "structural failure" last year -- more a maintenance failure to my mind. They are now replacing it at far above original cost. There is a free ferry between the two shores, and gobs of interesting Colonial history to absorb. I've been there before, and I'm sure I'll return.

Comment

Another view of the bridge. They are about to place the steel in the central portion.

Comment

Lake Champlain flooded, as did many areas in the East this spring. Nearly into July, the lowlands were still deep under water.

Comment

After VT 17 crossed VT7, I could clearly see the goal -- the Appalachian Gap between Bristol and Waitsfield. This section of 17 began as a CCC project in the Great Depression, and wasn't completed until the late 50's. It's essentially a road to nowhere -- connecting two towns that wanted little to do with one another. There were other roads connecting the two. We should bless the builders of roads to nowhere. In either direction, this is as full-on an experience as is found in the Northeast. It's a winding, peg-skidding climb followed by a howling, brake smoking descent. I certainly would think twice about doing it two-up, or in the rain. The view from the top:

And for those who may accuse your humble narrator of having "sissy stripes:"

It was all good.

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
                          maps aren't showing up. Used to live in Pittsford VT. Miss those VT roads
                          Sure some are rough but the scenery makes up for it. You'll have to try for the Moosehead Rally after Labor Day
                          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=169744
                          More than familiar with Greenville and Folsom's Float Plane base. Will try to make it up to Lilly Pond, in all events. BTW, there's now a really excellent diner in Eustis, simply marked "Diner," for those going that way. It's just to the left beyond the junction of ME16 and ME27. Great food, excellent service, and I was waited on by a simply adorable, exceptionally pretty and considerate waitress with a lovely fragrance about her. The prices weren't cheap, but nothing is these days. About $20 plus tip for lunch for me and my son. The food was fresh. Fries were hand-cut, the food was served rapidly off the stove. We ate 'till we hurt. Did I mention that the lady was exceptional?
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2011, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X