A great way to waste a tank of gas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A great way to waste a tank of gas...

So my dad, my buddy and fellow forum member Rob (kparkfan), my lovely wife and I decided to take a little impromptu ride up to Indian Lake here in Ohio. Just one of those days where we wanted to do something as a family (cause even though none of us are related by blood we are indeed a family..)
    And riding is always a damn good idea. Sometimes we just don't know where to go. And sometimes that's fun but when ya get three or four bikes together it's a decent idea to have a destination in mind lest some people get testy with the wandering through the country side with no plan in place.
    Me, someday I'd like to just pack the bike up (preferably one that is a bit more accommodating for two up long trips, like, say, a Vstrom. It's coming folks...we will have one!) and point it in a direction, knowing we have a week or two off of work and just see where we end up. But we aren't quite that daring yet, and we don't have said bike yet, so maybe next season, or the one after that...
    Anyway...
    So we headed out OH235. Pretty straight and meandering through farmland, as most of the middle portion of Ohio is pretty flat and pretty boring if you're a slobbering red eyed apex predator, (which is me most days) but it is pretty. I sometimes forget how nice it is just to go out and ride. Cruise even. In my years of riding I have constantly tried to become smoother, quicker, better and faster at twisty roads. And if I wasn't riding 90mph with my hair on fire I simply wasn't riding or enjoying myself as much.

But, with Rose riding with me, I've made a conscious effort to tone it down a bit, especially in light of our little off roading adventure last spring. I've had quite a bit of seat time to re-organize my head after the event, which while not very serious in an injury respect, was pretty serious to both my confidence, and hers in me, and could have easily, very very easily, ended up a hell of a lot worse than it did. Thank goodness for soft, muddy grass.. But, Rose hasn't had nearly as much, and while I feel like she's getting more comfortable in the twisties again, I know she's not ready for full bore yet, and I try to respect that as much as I can. Sometimes I get a little carried away, a little too "in the moment", and I feel her squeeze me a little harder with her legs, and I know she's not saying anything, but she's not comfortable, and I try to reign it in a bit. And, the fact of the matter is, as much as I enjoy riding hard and trying to sharpen my skills, I enjoy her riding with me more, so I've found a new life in the "just out for a cruise" way of thinking when we ride together. Before, we would go all day and after she may ask me if I saw some pretty landscape or a landmark or point of interest, and I would just look at her with the deer in headlights sort of look...the only thing *I* saw was lines on a black background, and an imaginary one that was in my mind the best point of attack... So, it's been kind of nice to just smell the smells and see the sights for a change..

ANNNNYway..

So we went up OH235 into Indian Lake. Lotsa farms, lotsa smells, little traffic along the way. Its kind of an odd place in a sense, because when *I* think of a lake, I think of one being surrounded by a forest, or tucked into some hills or mountains somewhere. Maybe its because I grew up in Colorado, and that was pretty much the norm there..or because we go to Kentucky a lot, and thats sort of the norm there as well. This particular lake is right smack dab in the middle of flat, and I mean KANSAS flat, farm land. Which makes it pretty neat, because while its a pretty large lake, as far as local man made lakes go, you can see for miles, and barely see the other side in some spots...

Which in turn lends itself to FANTASTIC sunset shots...

Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2011, 12:50 AM.

Come on Josh where's the pictures and the story?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

This is a personal fav of mine..

At some point, it occurred to us that my dad and I didnt have a picture of us together since I bought the new bike.. the one, he being a Kawasaki green blood wholeheartedly approved of. He and I have vastly different riding styles. He much more so suited to just cruising around, and me, not so much, (but im working on incorporating it into my repertoire like I said). So much so, that on our recent trip to West Virginia, he, at one point, said that if he had to ride around one more blind corner with gravel strewn through it he would park his bike right there, find a job, and never ride again. This came after a weekend full of twistie riding, and while he enjoyed the trip very much, I think he had had his fill of "corner carving".

So, back to some pics...

His bike (07 Kaw 900 Vulcan Classic, bought new, zero miles, his first BRAND new vehicle in his life, and hes mighty proud of it.. It is indeed a nice bike, not for me, but nice.) and Mine...

And us together, me in my "Ive had four days off of work in a row scruffy-ness and I hate having my picture taken" glory

Where we had stopped there was quite the gathering of Canada geese, lots of families with newly hatched (well, not SO newly hatched) honkers..
      While they werent fond of us much, they werent afraid of us much either, and even less so when Rob and Bob (my dad) decided to feed them left over poptart from one of our stops on the way up..
      Rose HATES birds, and the fact that the geese decided she might have poptart too and began to surround her was making her more than nervous. Plus, i dunno if you know or not, but Canada geese with little ones are VERY territorial and will not back down for much. BTW, while we are on the subject, they are in fact CANADA Geese, not Canadian geese. They were named after the man who identified the species, im going to assume his name was something like Steve Canada or Richard Canada or something. They are not in fact from Canada..
      They ARE however, protected, still, federally. I guess at one point they were on the verge of extinction but frankly now, they're a nuisance in many places and around here, highly overpopulated. And, man, when they poop...WOW!

So heres me chasing off said geese to save Rose, and prevent them from pooping all over our bikes...

Rose and Rob apparently thought it was hilarious that I was arguing with geese (who were not pleased I was removing them from hunting for Poptart crumbs, or thought I was after their nearly full grown children..who hiss just as well...) But, they would not be swayed, and I eventually gave up. Plus, those little buggers are smart...Once one group had me distracted, another would come round and flank me, in effect surrounding me with hissing and wing flapping.. Were I sure there were no park rangers or PETA lovers about, my useless for anything but riding in dry weather soon to be retired Vega boots would have become Goose punting utensils..

AT some point during the day we saw this.. Which you dont see as often as one would think.

Very very Goldwing esque, but, a Kaw Voyager 1200. Nice bike too. The owner, who we didnt stick around to meet because we'd just eaten dinner, it was pretty hot, and we wanted to get rolling before the food coma came over us and destined us to sit there in the shade longer.. must really like it because it was very clean, and very well maintained. Looking it over, I had flashes of actually considering finding one.. But then I thought...Nahhhh its a friggin BARGE.. If im gonna buy a Comfy bike, a VStrom is gonna be it. At least its torquey, and nimble in its own right. I absolutely loved it when Rose and I took a spin on BWringers last year at MotoGP. Mayhaps he'll be up for gettin his mitts on the ZRX this year, and Rose and I can get another crack at the Strom...

soooo...yeah, where were we..

After a nice spin around the lake..looking at all the nice houses and boats, and waving at other motorcyclists, we stopped at a little Ma and Pa type pizza and Ice cream joint for a cold soft drink and potty break before heading home.. It was nice to just sit and look at the boats as we talked and watched the sun finally sink into the lake, and the stars come out...

All in all, a fantastic day, 180 miles of good times, good friends and family, and as said, a great way to waste a tank of gas.

Comment

Great pictures and you trying to herd geese sounds pretty funny. Must have been a sight to behold.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          Rose HATES birds,
          This of all things, surprises me. Who'd a thunk it?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Nice pictures Josh. I like the one of you and Bob. It's nice to see all of you out having some fun !!!!
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Looks like a great day!

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              ...as much as I enjoy riding hard and trying to sharpen my skills, I enjoy her riding with me more...
              Having just returned from a 5 day, 1200 mile trip with Amy, I totally get this.
              We had so much fun just traveling together and I kept it calmer in the corners than normal...

One thing that has really stepped up our enjoyment level is that communication system we use now.
              I know you were talking about getting one and I highly recommend it...
              We don't don't talk much...we can cruise for an hour or two without saying anything, but being able to talk when we need to, or want to, is priceless.

Later,
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Josh, real nice pictures and it sounds like you had a great ride. I really like the part of your story where you talked about Rose and how you have to take things when she's on the back of the bike. So many times we get "caught up in the moment" and we forget that our passenger may be just a bit fearful of what we are doing. That's why I "try" to keep my slightly insane moments for those times when I'm riding solo and when 2-up to give her a taste, but just a taste, of what insane might look like. I'm glad to see that you both are riding together. That's good stuff!

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                  Looks like a great day!

We had so much fun just traveling together and I kept it calmer in the corners than normal...

One thing that has really stepped up our enjoyment level is that communication system we use now.
                  We don't don't talk much...we can cruise for an hour or two without saying anything, but being able to talk when we need to, or want to, is priceless.

Later,
                  I can vouch for all of this but especially the comm system. To be able to talk with each other without having to scream over the wind noise is great. With my system (Autocomm) I can run music from my iPhone/iPod and it mutes when we talk. I wouldn't want to take a trip without it.

Frank

Comment

Looks like a good time. I wish I could have heard you arguing with the geese. Glad you found a way to get a ride in for the holiday weekend.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                      Looks like a great day!

Later,
                      Actually, we got one for Christmas from my dad. It's one of those cheaper Chinese Interphone BT units but it actually works very well. Even with the ZRX's lack of a real windscreen, rose and I can hear eachother pretty well even on the other side of 70MPH. Plus it will link to my iPhone/iPod and I can start or stop music with the push of a button. It's stereo which is nice but the only thing that I'd like to see is better speakers. The sound quality is fine for voice but is a little lacking in the jammin tunes dept.
                      I've been looking at figuring out a way to wire earbuds in in place of the helmet speakers, but the mic is wired into one of the speakers, and the jack is a four ring jack, (one for left and right, ground, and mic) and I'm no electrical wizzzzzardddd so I'm not sure if I could do it or not. If I could get it sorted, they'd be absolutely perfect short of a full on CB/Intercom setup and for less than $100 I'd suggest em to anyone who was looking for a decent comm inside a price point. Plus the seller is more than helpful, will supply parts and such separately should you have a problem.

Comment

Hi Josh,

Nice thread. Great pictures. Amusing story. Thanks for sharing.

All the best to you and yours,

Cliff

Comment

Thanks for sharing Josh. I'm just sitting here rocking the baby to sleep (4 weeks now) and enjoying your pics....
                          David
                          1998 Suzuki Bandit
                          1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                          1978 GS1000 - gone
                          1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Great pics and nice story. I have a sister that lives in St. Paris and we all frequent Indian lake. That is a gorgeous lake! I hope you hit Cassano's at Russells Point? I often rent a boat and take my boys fishing there and they ALWAYS insist on Mc Donalds on the water, also at Russells Point.
                            I agree with 235 being straight, but it IS a pretty ride and before you get to the lake there is a small section of Amish country.

If you all ever feel like heading South East, let me know. There are some really pretty, gravel free roads in south, central Ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by DMPLATT View Post
                              Great pics and nice story. I have a sister that lives in St. Paris and we all frequent Indian lake. That is a gorgeous lake! I hope you hit Cassano's at Russells Point? I often rent a boat and take my boys fishing there and they ALWAYS insist on Mc Donalds on the water, also at Russells Point.
                              I agree with 235 being straight, but it IS a pretty ride and before you get to the lake there is a small section of Amish country.

If you all ever feel like heading South East, let me know. There are some really pretty, gravel free roads in south, central Ohio.
                              I seen the Mcdonalds and fell in love. That would be the life if I could have a house on one of the many islands on the lake and to be able to drive a boat to the local Mcdonalds and Toco Bell would be awesome.
                              I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
                              1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Working...
                              X