Iron Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iron Butt

So anyone from New England up for 1000 miles in 24 hours????

From Kittery ME, I have guesstimated 508 miles to Buffalo.
    I figure 7 hours out,= 500 miles....crash for 5 hours...... 7 hours back....=500 miles. 5 hours spare for food,gas,smoke and stretch breaks......

Anyone...???
    That or has anyone here done the Butt???

I am thinking leaving on a Monday in early October,around 4a, hit Buff. around 11:30a.rest until 4:30p/5p and head back east. Hit the seacost around midnight or so, with time to spare.....
    No one @ work understands this but I know someone here would.
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
    So anyone from New England up for 1000 miles in 24 hours????

From Kittery ME, I have guesstimated 508 miles to Buffalo.
    I figure 7 hours out,= 500 miles....crash for 5 hours...... 7 hours back....=500 miles. 5 hours spare for food,gas,smoke and stretch breaks......

Anyone...???
    That or has anyone here done the Butt???

I am thinking leaving on a Monday in early October,around 4a, hit Buff. around 11:30a.rest until 4:30p/5p and head back east. Hit the seacost around midnight or so, with time to spare.....
    No one @ work understands this but I know someone here would.
    Doug,

I have done two IBA Saddlesore 1000 runs. In both cases I was a long way from home, had been gone for a while, and faced long interstate trips home. It is a nice feeling of accomplishment but honestly I wouldn't do it just for the sake of doing it. Be sure to read and follow all the rules on the Iron Butt website. Basically, you need to get a witness signature at the start and finish. Since you're starting and ending at the same place be sure to get a gas receipt at your turnaround point. Keep a log of all your stops including time and mileage. Keep all receipts from the trip. I like your plan as it doesn't involve riding in the middle of the night when you're not used to be awake. You might want to consider riding more than half way before stopping. You may find that you will stop more frequently during the second half of the ride.

My first SS1000 was on my '04 FJR1300 from Colorado Springs to my home west of Chicago. I had planned to get an early start, like 0400 but the weather was crappy so I delayed until about 1000. This meant I was riding across Iowa on I-80 starting at dusk. You could call this stretch of I-80 'Deer Alley' so it was pretty stressful concentrating so hard on the roadsides. I ended up getting home at 0600 and was pretty beat.

My second SS1000 was on my '83 GS1100 from Boca Raton FL to Munfordville KY on my way home from the SE Rally and a business trip. This time I left very early in the morning and finished before midnight. The weather was very hot and humid which took a lot out of me. My last couple stints were only 60 miles or so.

Dpep has also done at least one SS1000 and he has some good advice too.

As I said, I wouldn't go out of my way to do a SS1000 but once you have done it you'll always have it to remember. You will be one of a small percentage of riders to accomplish the ride and nobody can ever take it away from you.

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
      Doug,

I have done two IBA Saddlesore 1000 runs. In both cases I was a long way from home, had been gone for a while, and faced long interstate trips home. It is a nice feeling of accomplishment but honestly I wouldn't do it just for the sake of doing it. Be sure to read and follow all the rules on the Iron Butt website. Basically, you need to get a witness signature at the start and finish. Since you're starting and ending at the same place be sure to get a gas receipt at your turnaround point. Keep a log of all your stops including time and mileage. Keep all receipts from the trip. I like your plan as it doesn't involve riding in the middle of the night when you're not used to be awake. You might want to consider riding more than half way before stopping. You may find that you will stop more frequently during the second half of the ride.

Dpep has also done at least one SS1000 and he has some good advice too.

As I said, I wouldn't go out of my way to do a SS1000 but once you have done it you'll always have it to remember. You will be one of a small percentage of riders to accomplish the ride and nobody can ever take it away from you.

Thanks,
      Joe
      Thanks Joe, that was the type of info I was looking for.
      I may do all the way to Buff. and come back a way before I stop.
      It's not so much as a out of the way rides but one of the "gotta do rides".
      It is a really easy shot for me and should me fairly cheap. EZpass and all will work out for me.
      One of those rides I gotta do..... jsut because it is there
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

As Joe mentioned, you don't want to forget the IBA philosophy: document, document, DOCUMENT.

If you want the official recognition that goes along with the ride, don't forget to submit your documentation.

Several years ago, my #1 son did an IBA ride that is not recommended for beginners, but he did it anyway. He did a ride from Grand Island, Nebraska to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. I think he ended the documented portion about Columbia, making it 1519 miles, in about 23 1/2 hours. He has never submitted the documentation, so he has no recognition from IBA.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The 1100G I just picked up has the Iron Butt license plate frame already on it. I'm good.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I rode girlfriends gs 550 to my home town and back about 800 miles all together, just for the ride.got off work at 3 pm left house at 4:30 think I arrived at home town around midnight arrived at friends house and they were drinking beer till 4:00am and I got about 3 and 1/2 of sleep and at 8:00 am headed home took my time getting back took all day got back about 6:00 pm,anyway thats my claim to 24 hour fame.Next time I will get some sleep instead of staying up all night,even though I wasn't tired.

Comment

The NY Thruway can be pretty boring out to Buffalo and watch out for each of the metro areas along the way as the speed limit drops to 55mph with lots of state trooper presence....they need some revenue!

I rode back from Syracuse on my old Connie in late Oct hitting triple digit speeds (didn't care about the cops at that point) to move out of and ahead of the heavy rains and cold front with temps dropping below 40 degrees and a change over to snow predicted. The heated vest came in handy on that ride even with the Connie's fairing.

Comment

Not 1000, but I totalled 912 miles from Fayetteville WV to my house here in NH in about 15 hours. Left the rally at 6am on Sunday, was home by 8:30 or so.

Two words... NEVER. AGAIN.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I did however, see a food network segment on this guy in Buffalo, and I really considered a ride to eat there... (what I will do for food):

Charlie The Butcher's Beef on Weck

Maybe you can bring me back a beef on weck?
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

My brother, a friend and I did the long way to another brothers home in Austin TX.
                    I didnt bother with any documentation but we did 1k miles one way in under 20 hours getting there.
                    The entire weekend combined about 2,200 miles.
                    Left out on a Thurs evening and back home in time for Sunday dinner. Quite the visit.
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                    .................________-|___\____
                    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I've done a few Saddlesore 1000's and a Bun Burner 1500 that I completed and a few more attempts that didn't work out (Flat tires, etc).

Make sure you know your route and what to expect in the way of delays and possible construction and detours. My bunburner 1500 was from Jemez Springs, NM to the Grand Canyon to Tuscon to Carlsbad, NM to Rosewell, NM to Ruidoso, NM. It was actually a bad choice of routes but I didn't know any better at the time. So I ended up with 25 mile an hour speed limits through the Grand Canyon, 90 miles of Road Construction on I-10 and having to find an end of ride witness at 0400 in Ruidoso. I finally found the police station and got them to call a patrolling officer to see if he would verify my end of ride documentation.

Since I have tried to choose a destination that I would like to spend at least part of a day at so I can get some sleep the actually spend a little time at my destination and enjoy the ride back.

I was in Maine a few weeks ago on my 2002 Concours doing a 4 corners run about the only thing on the road to and from Madawaska was us in torrential rain. There was a lady that showed up at the 4 corners park to give us a certificate to document when we were there and she was the only one we saw out other than at the boarder crossing in Ft. Kent.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mdole View Post
                        I've done a few Saddlesore 1000's and a Bun Burner 1500 that I completed and a few more attempts that didn't work out (Flat tires, etc).

Make sure you know your route and what to expect in the way of delays and possible construction and detours. My bunburner 1500 was from Jemez Springs, NM to the Grand Canyon to Tuscon to Carlsbad, NM to Rosewell, NM to Ruidoso, NM. It was actually a bad choice of routes but I didn't know any better at the time. So I ended up with 25 mile an hour speed limits through the Grand Canyon, 90 miles of Road Construction on I-10 and having to find an end of ride witness at 0400 in Ruidoso. I finally found the police station and got them to call a patrolling officer to see if he would verify my end of ride documentation.

Since I have tried to choose a destination that I would like to spend at least part of a day at so I can get some sleep the actually spend a little time at my destination and enjoy the ride back.

I was in Maine a few weeks ago on my 2002 Concours doing a 4 corners run about the only thing on the road to and from Madawaska was us in torrential rain. There was a lady that showed up at the 4 corners park to give us a certificate to document when we were there and she was the only one we saw out other than at the boarder crossing in Ft. Kent.

Mike
                        Dang Mike, if I knew you were in Maine, we could have hooked up.
                        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                        2000 Kawasaki Concours
                        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

I've done several 1000 mile days but never an offical IBA. I'll usually do them from dawn to dusk, I hate riding while tired in the dark. I usually take a short break at every gas stop to stretch the legs, rehydrate and grab something to eat if necessary. If it's hot I usually add some powdered gatorade to my water later in the day. Trick is to maintain a steady but brisk pace, not too fast or you'll tire early and probably get a ticket somewhere along the way. It's not how fast you go but how you maintain your average speed, if the wheels aren't turning your average will be low and you'll have go like he!! to make it up. Make sure the trip is verifiable with Google Maps or MS Streets and Trips and as mentioned make your sure documentation is complete and accurate. Plan your gas stops ahead of time and make sure you know the range of your tank to minimize stops and GOOD LUCK!
                          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I did my SS1000 run back in 2003. I bought an 1100GK in upstate NY from a forum member. I then started the run from the Peace River Customs station on the Canadian border in the early a.m. I wanted to be able to say I rode from Canada to Florida in one day. I did accomplish that but just barely thanks mostly to my own screw ups in both planning and execution. The actual distance was a little over 1000 miles, but wrong turns along the way pushed it to around 1175 or so.

I posted the experience on GSR.

Do you have a great road adventure that you would like to share? How about a bike repair gone bad? Put your story here and share it with the rest of us.

It is a somewhat long post, but it does illustrate the importance of certain planning priorities better than just listing them could.

One thing that has not been mentioned is that you need to contact your credit card company and advise them of what you are doing. If a sudden pattern of gasoline purchases outside of your normal area appears, it may automatically trigger a suspension or at least some restriction of service. That was almost the unsuccessful end of my trip.

Also make solid provision for storing your receipts and other documentation. Have a designated bag or box where everything goes and have a ritual which confirms the latest piece of documentation is in it before you punch the start button. Have that bag or box well secured, strapped to your bike or person. Make that container a constant focus on your ride. The IBA certification isn't given for you making the trip. It is given for your documentation making the trip. If you have a large ZIPPERED pocket somewhere on your clothing you could use that, but only if you have the discipline to keep it zipped except for those few seconds when you are putting something in it. If you just stick your receipts into a shirt pocket or your wallet intending to put them all together later, you will fail.

Research the status of road conditions along the way. Your route is mostly interstate, so that information should be available online, but don't hesitate to call a state road department or state trooper office to confirm the status of a construction project. It is late at night when lanes get shut down. Part of your planning should be to look at parallel surface roads you can jump over to if a stretch of Interstate is blocked by accident or construction.

Any distance travel should be planned with consideration of where you will be at rush hours. I would definitely not stop for a rest period in Buffalo. That would put you leaving there in the worst part of the day and then encountering Rochester and possibly Syracuse while still in a heavy traffic period. I would actually bite the bullet and head back to where I was clear of Syracuse before taking any long break. Now if you are doing this on a weekend the consideration is different. It would still be helpful to know what times of the day the metro stretches of your route have the heaviest traffic on Saturday (or Sunday). Be aware of any football games or other large events that may be occurring on that day.

Can you get a printout of when and where your vehicle went under the EZ Pass? If so, I would add that to the documentation submitted.
                            Last edited by dpep; 08-10-2011, 12:10 PM.
                            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                            X