Planning a GREAT ride this weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning a GREAT ride this weekend.

I have to go to Kongsberg for work, and I'm taking the 750.
    Ten years ago I took this route once, and although I was knackered, it was brilliant.
    I'm ready to do it again.
    If the weather gets nasty I can shorten it quite a bit...

The idea is to do as many mountain ranges on the way as practically possible...

I start going south from Trondheim and across the mighty but very familiar Dovre plateau.

Then, if weather permits, I go west, past Sunndalsøra and Åndalsnes, up the famous Trollstigen, and over to the equally famous (and UN Heritage protected) Geiranger.

Then I head east again, across some of my favourite ranges, including Røldalsfjellet, where I skip the tunnel and get the spectacular views instead...

By this time I assume I'm getting tired and achy, but I still have about four and a half hours left, which includes one more stunning mountain range.

830 km or so. Should take me 12-14 hours. At least one ferry...

I did this at 34 on a BMW R80GS, is there any reason I shouldn't be able to do it at 44 on a GS750?

Here's the map, I think... http://maps.google.no/maps/ms?authus...ca2fcc72c60f45
    Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2011, 07:55 AM.

That looks like an incredible route. Please take many pictures and share them!

Good luck on your epic ride!

Comment

Well how did the ride go?!

From previous pictures you've posted you live in a gorgeous country and I was hoping to see some more

Comment

On my way back.
        Will report soon.

Comment

Looks nice

Comment

I'll tell more about the trip, but I'm quite knackered right now and can't be bothered writing up a whole account.
            I made it there, and I made it back.
            My videos didn't turn out as good as I hoped, but here's a hint at what parts of the trip looked like:

Comment

Oh, I was wrong about Røldalsfjellet, of course. My B&W pic above is from another awesome ride altogether...

But I had a great trip. Last Sunday going down I covered 900 km in 13 1/2 hours, about 4 or 5 of those in rain and/or fog. Not entirely relaxing, but so beautiful!

The trip back I made as short as possible, which I guess was around 580 km (seven hours plus). All of that in good (but cold) weather, but the last 4 hours with open exhaust. Noisy as hell, and a nasty problem I have to fix before any more riding.

Comment

Working...
              X