Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riding through Joshua Tree National Park Info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riding through Joshua Tree National Park Info?

I've never been, but I'm thinking about it. Anybody do it recently? It looks like 5 bucks per vehicle. Are the gates open all the time? Is it worth doing?

Comments?

Paul
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

It is an interesting area of the high desert, Great if you like to hike.. The name Joshua Tree is miss leading as there are no trees as such. It can be beautiful depending on what time of year you go. If every thing is in bloom

Comment

great climbing. the road was not open as a "thru" when i was there in october. not particularly interesting road from a motorcycling point of view. beautiful, though.
      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Drop a flower on Gram Parsons death spot.

Comment

Actually, if you do Joshua Tree it is a through road from 29 Palms to the town of Joshua Tree through the park. There are small side roads, interesting rock formations/climbing areas abound, and good camping, especially in the Black Rock (I think that's the name) campground (not actually inside the main park). The Joshua trees are strange looking things that my wife says aren't trees, they're weird looking succulents akin to a cactus, and they abound throughout the park and the surrounding area.
          Entering from the 29 Palms direction you'll have a healthy climb up into the park, as you leave the park through Joshua Tree it's no major descent. If you're taking a dual sport bike the area abounds in good off-road trails. My Mom and my older brother live in the Yucca Valley Morongo Hills area, I've been there a lot, in fact, if you look at my ride thread from 2010 you'll see a few pictures I took there.

Comment

Thanks, Dan. I was thinking of going in at either 29 palms or Joshua Tree, and leaving out of the South end toward Mecca on Box Canyon, trying to make a loop from Anaheim including CA 243 to Banning, and the Montezuma Borrego Highway up out of Borrego springs.

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
            Actually, if you do Joshua Tree it is a through road from 29 Palms to the town of Joshua Tree through the park. There are small side roads, interesting rock formations/climbing areas abound, and good camping, especially in the Black Rock (I think that's the name) campground (not actually inside the main park). The Joshua trees are strange looking things that my wife says aren't trees, they're weird looking succulents akin to a cactus, and they abound throughout the park and the surrounding area.
            Entering from the 29 Palms direction you'll have a healthy climb up into the park, as you leave the park through Joshua Tree it's no major descent. If you're taking a dual sport bike the area abounds in good off-road trails. My Mom and my older brother live in the Yucca Valley Morongo Hills area, I've been there a lot, in fact, if you look at my ride thread from 2010 you'll see a few pictures I took there.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
              Thanks, Dan. I was thinking of going in at either 29 palms or Joshua Tree, and leaving out of the South end toward Mecca on Box Canyon, trying to make a loop from Anaheim including CA 243 to Banning, and the Montezuma Borrego Highway up out of Borrego springs.
              That would be a good trip. Stop in the Morongo Valley on your way out
              and visit the rain forest there. I forgot the name of it, it's a strange thing to find in a high desert valley, one of a kind I think. You can google it to find out more about it.

Comment

Let me know if and when you'll be in the area. I'll ride along if I'm off.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X