Road conditions in AZ and NM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road conditions in AZ and NM

I just impulse purchased a bike in Las Vegas and am flying out tomorrow to bring it back to Panama City, FL. I'll be sticking to interstates since I don't have a huge amount of time.

Any locals in the AZ/NM area know if I-40 is safe to travel this time of year? If not, I would assume I-10 is? Either route takes roughly the same amount of time (couple hours difference).

Should be an interesting trip - I'll make sure to post a little summary after I get back to FL.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-26-2012, 02:37 PM. Reason: typo

I40 can be okay to travel depending on construction but keep an eye on the weather conditions anyway. Sometimes NM will get good storms that close down the eastern side.

Lived in Albuquerque for 5 years

Edit: Here's the five day forecast for Albuquerque

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Forecast looks pretty solid. No storms imminent at least!

Comment

Take I-10 goes straight into FL and its sunny the whole way pretty much. I-40 can get hammered by storms this time of year. If you stop in Las Cruces NM for the nite, Let me know and I'll buy ya beer!
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Is this the bike you bought? the one in your sig? 2004 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom (if it makes it to FL!)

Man I want one of these bad...good luck on the ride. Like said above, I-10 should be a good weather option for ya but I-40 is prettier...Have a safe ride.

Comment

I-10 it is.

Yup, bought a 2004 DL650 V-Strom.

Have wanted one ever since I started riding and am finally in the position to get one.

Not entirely pumped about the 2,000 mile trip though!

Comment

Just do yourself a favor and time your trip so you are going through El Paso very early in the morning on a weekend. This way, you can get through quickly and without worrying about what's across the border. I would stop in EL Paso years ago with no worries...not anymore. However, I think you'll do better for gas reasons if you stay up on I40 through Texas as there's a couple of hundred mile stretch there on I10 where there's no gas. It was tough to do in a vehicle I can't imagine what it's like on a bike.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaGS View Post
                I-10 it is.

Yup, bought a 2004 DL650 V-Strom.

Have wanted one ever since I started riding and am finally in the position to get one.

Not entirely pumped about the 2,000 mile trip though!
                2,000 mile trip? Dude that's the reason I ride, the road trips. Just think, your gonna be on the ride you've always wanted, covering some great territory. I did the I-10 from El Paso - Sat Antonio last May and it's not bad. You'll find plenty of gas and even though it's gonna be cool outside I would rather do that than 110 in the summer. You could even do a SS 1000. Take plenty of pics, and I agree with Cowboyup, do El Paso early to miss the traffic, it's a B---H.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll for sure take the El Paso early advice, traffic sucks. Once outside of El Paso I might hop on I-20 and go the Dallas route. I'll make the spur of the moment decision...

Leaving for the airport in 30 mins or so.

Arriving in Vegas tonight, hitting the road tomorrow.

I got the camera packed and the credit card ready to do some damage.

Thanks again for the solid advice.

Comment

So how was the trip?
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Waiting to hear also...

Comment

Hey everyone,

Made it! It was cold at times, but for the most part a pleasant trip.

I'll post up a recap in the GS stories section.

Comment

Working...
                        X