Chicago to Kansas City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicago to Kansas City

I've done this trip a hundred times via interstate, but never by motorcycle. I usually choose to go through either Des Moines or St. Louis depending on how I'm feeling that day...meaning I don't really care if I go through Iowa or Missouri

Anyone have any suggestions on fun roads through Eastern Iowa, Southern Illinois, or across Missouri?

Thanks!
    Kevin

This is an easy one. From Des Moines take highway 69 south all the way to Kansas City. The stretch from Des Moines to the Missouri border is known for both it's tight curves and long sweeping turns. I grew up in a small town on that stretch.

Comment

EXACTLY what Konnick said! I am from KC & that is the funnest route. Plus, St. Louis to KC on I-70 sucks! Ray.

Comment

Thank for the tips. I might just slab it on I-80 out to Des Moines and then take your advice on 69 on the way south.

I was also thinking about cutting across Missouri and then hugging the Mississippi River roads on the way North for a different route on the way back.

Comment

Got any recommendations for camping on the South or East side or Des Moines?

Comment

Originally posted by LoopGaroo View Post

Look in the pamphlet and pick either park #3 or #12, they are state DNR parks, you'll want to call for availability. All of the state DNR parks I've stayed at in Iowa have been pretty good (sometimes they give us discounts for being on bikes)....

If you have the time and want to take some back roads and be closer to the main roads go through on US route 30 and ride the great river road down a ways. Then look at campsite #3 or #12.

Comment

Thanks screemer. Did you mean to give me a couple more options? It looks like you were trying to suggest multiple options, but listed #3 and #12 twice....

Comment

That's an easy one. The best place in town to camp is the 19 ft camper parked in my driveway.

Comment

Park 3 is pretty far south and west of here. You could angle your way down, cutting the corner and stay at any campground around Lake Red Rock. North Overlook campground there is nice and the eagle watching is known far and wide.

As far as Des Moines, just a couple of miles North of here any place at Jester Park or Saylorville lake is good. South of DSM you can hit Lake Aqhabi. Robert's Creek is good. When are you planning on coming through?

Comment

I'm leaving Chicago after work on Wednesday, June 22. I'm not sure how far I'll get, as I'll be leaving sometime between 3 and 7pm then go home and pick up the wife and pack our gear. There's just too much stuff to do!!!

I hope to at least get to Davenport Wednesday night. Honestly, I wasn't expecting the Missus to be riding pillion with me, so I'm rethink my original midnight-marathon idea...

Comment

Anyone have any suggestions on fun roads through Eastern Iowa, Southern Illinois, or across Missouri?
                      Don't choose anything with more than one lane in each direction.

I have heard it said: "Four-lanes are for making time, two-lanes are for making memories."

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

what brings you to Our Fair City??/
                        GS Score Card
                        4-400 Series GS's
                        3-500 Series
                        1-600 Series
                        1-700 Series
                        4-800 Series
                        1-1000 Series
                        2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
                        sigpic

Comment

A wedding out in Weston, MO.

I grew up in the Overland Park/Olathe and went to the University of Kansas. I've lived in Chicago for the last 7 years. I go back to KC a couple time a year to visit friends and family.

A couple years ago I vowed to never drive between Chi and KC again. Nine hours in the car was just too life-draining. I'm sure the time spent on the bike will be much more fun.

Comment

I met my brother in chicago and I don't remember highway but we went to springfield,ill and then to I-72 to hannibal,mo. I-72 it's a big four lane highway but not a lot of traffic on that part.

I-72 turns into 36 in missouri and at monroe city we went south and got on 24 and then on 210 into kansas city.

I wouldn't say it's the best way to go, cause it's pretty uneventful but missouri side was nice.

My brother stayed there ,I came back from kansas city to st.joe and took 36 east to hannibal and on 72 to champaign,Ill and I made good time.

I plan on doing the trip again( from home not chicago) should be about a 8 hour ride??

Comment

I made it out to KC two days ago and had an AWESOME ride across Missouri.

We rode out of Chicago after work on Wednesday night, first taking the interstates out of the city until we were able to find some open roads. We got on the minor highways In Morris, IL and hugged the river roads until stopping at the lodge at Starved Rock State Park for dinner. After dinner, we took highway 26 south to Peoria. This section of 26 was amazing - a truly fantastic river road.

On Thursday morning we got on 136 out of Peoria and rode that through Keokuk, IA and over to about Lancaster, MO before hopping south on some tight twisty backroads (H & W) down to highway 6. These backroads reminded me of the windy roads of the drift less region of Wisconsin.

I highly recommend highways 6 and 136 across Missouri! These roads had speed limits of 60mph and had a consistent and rhythmic flow. I can't wait to do this ride again.

Now, we leave on Sunday afternoon to head back to Chicago. This time we're going to head north out of KC up highway 69 then work our way across Iowa, then up the mississppi, and across Illinois.

Comment

Working...
                              X