from missouri to virgina..process of planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

from missouri to virgina..process of planning

this spring im taking my cafe..yes cafe across the states...im gonna be going through kentucky, stoppin gin knoxville for a few days the going 300 miles east to virginia..

i plan on carrying the most obvious for weather and tools, also gonna carry a few extra coils, stator r/r and pick up.

anyone done any long traveling on the 850? ive only gone about 230 miles non stop at once....any advice to?

and no im not gonna change my bars or anything..for a more comfort ride

I did 8,000 miles in just 3 weeks on my 850G this past summer. Rode from NJ to California and back. That long enough of a trip for you?

I carried just about everything I would have needed to rebuild the bike on the side of the road. Definitely bring spare RR and Stator and coils. I had to replace my RR under a tree in the middle of Ohio, but it was fine after that. The only other issue I had was my valve cover RealGasket disintegrating and causing quite a leak. And the crimp connection on the tach cable leaking as well. Relatively minor issues considering taking a 30 year old bike cross country.

As far as packing, keep everything together in smaller containers. Example all of my tools were inside a large tupperware bin, that was then inside my side case. Rather than just stuffing clothes in the side bag, put them into their own bag, then in the side bag. This will make setting up camp, or bringing stuff into a motel much easier.

What you need to pack depends on the type of trip. Are you camping or staying at motels? Obviously camping requires quite a bit more gear.

DO NOT try and carry stuff in a back pack. Very uncomfortable. Make the bike carry the weight, not you.

Also you'll be happy to have at least a small windscreen to move the wind off your chest. I had a Maier fairing on the bike that worked incredibly well.

A picture of my 850G in full ADV mode.

The gas cans were essential when crossing the great expanse of NOTHING along highway 50 through the western deserts. I had to use them three times and was very glad I had them. Since you will be going through relative civilization you should have no problem finding gas.

And to make my trip look like a puddle jump, Chris (shrizadrum) has been traveling around the world on his 850G for quite some time. His thread here is well worth a good look through.

One final word of advice. Have fun and avoid the highways. The two lane stuff is WAYY better.

Comment

yep i plan on taking as most 2 lanes as possible...im gonna make my 10 trip to TN in one shot..of course with a few break..probably a 30 min break every 2 hours or so...

i am looking at a gpz (oem one) wind screen..but its for the square headlight

i dont have any storage on my bike...but my back pack sit so low it rests on the tail of my bike..ill be carrying basic tools and a few days worth of tools, and a few spare parts..but im strapping a smaller pack to my tank to hold heavy stuff..

Comment

The Maier unit that's on my bike in that picture is near identical to a GPZ fairing. Except it has a 7 inch round headlight hole and fits perfectly . You can get them used on Ebay, or new from Maier for around $100. Actually there are a few members here with this exact fairing that would probably sell it to you for much cheaper. Try asking for one in the parts wanted, someone should come forward.

Find a way to strap your back back to the tail of your bike. Tools are HEAVY. You will NOT want that weight on your back, especially as you have a long reach to get to your bars.

Look into getting a set of softbags at least. You can find them for quite cheap if you shop the closeout deals online. Trust me you don't want anything on your body but your riding gear. Plus they are easy to detach, and make for a quick transformation from tourer to sporty-er.

As far as breaks it is a good idea to take them frequently. About every hour or so, just a quick stretch and walk around will be enough to stop the ride from becoming painful. Even if you think you don't need to stop, take the break. Your body will tell you when you've been in the riding position for too long and once that happens you cant go back. Using this technique I was able to rack up some pretty high mileage days, even on the back roads I did anywhere from 450 to 650 a day for much of my trip.

Tank bags are a great idea. Make sure it's big enough to hold a bottle of water and some snack bars. Also a good place to keep your map and wallet. Just make sure it's closed before riding off. No feeling quite like looking down and seeing it open with your wallet missing. Luckily got caught between the seat and tank! Still no idea how...

Comment

well a small set of throw over bags will hold my spare parts and tools i think...which will leave just a bag for clothes...

any cheap brands that will stay togeather?

Comment

Have a look here.

The Nelson Rigg gear is pretty good stuff. Look into the tail bags or soft sidebags. Should give you a ballpark idea. Anywhere under $100 is a good price for some new soft bags.'

If you pack lightly you should be able to fit your tools and spares on one side, and clothes on the other side. Did you plan or camping or staying in motels? makes a huge difference with what you will need.

Comment

ill be staying in TN for a day or so, at a freinds, then going to VA to another freinds, back to Tn an stay a bit then back home..

im gonna try to avoid motels...

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
                ill be staying in TN for a day or so, at a friends, then going to VA to another friends, back to Tn an stay a bit then back home..

im gonna try to avoid motels...
                Since all of your stops appear to be no more than 300-400 miles apart you shouldn't have more than a day of traveling from destination to destination. Eliminating the need for a tent and motels. They will be long days, expect 8 hours in the saddle, but that isn't so bad.

Comment

wal mart here has some cheap "paul jr" soft throw overs for 50 buxs...there textile vs leather...

i would only be using this for this trip more then likly...any idea if those will hold togeather for 2500 miles or so lol

Comment

On a stock 850 with a windshield, the ride would be a snap, especially with decent motorcycle luggage, or even a duffle bag bungeed behind you.

Wear a full-face helmet with the visor down. Protect your face and eyes.

Wear jacket, pants and gloves designed for motorcycling. They are more comfortable, and protect you far better in a crash.

Use ear plugs.

Rest before you're tired. Eat before you're hungry. Drink before you're thirsty.

Good luck.
                    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

hell i can fit everything in a duffel bag...good idea thanks...

i plan on buying new gear..im in need of it...since i have none

Comment

I wouldn't trust them to hold up if they are typical walmart quality. They will likely leak and rip at the seam.

Much better looking for some used ones on ebay.

Check out some of these, plenty of good options for cheap.
                        http://www.ebay.com/sch/Luggage-Sadd...=0.01&_udhi=64

I picked some out for you because my class is really boring tonight.

Leather throw over

The current bid on these is $6. For that money I'd find a way to make them fit

Also super cheap

these are a good brand and will hold everything you could possibly stuff in there.

hope these help you out a bit. no reason to get junk from walmart when used junk is even cheaper (and probably better made).

Long motorcycle trips are addictive. You may not be planning on another now, but after your trip you won't be able to wait till you can hop on and ride for miles again. It's a good idea to get something that will last if you can.

Just ask SteelToedTank. He managed to turn his week long trip into a multi-month adventure! (and his saddle bags were made from milk-crates!!

Comment

I have done several thousand mile trips on my 850, but the seat was a bit different than the one you have.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
                            hell i can fit everything in a duffel bag...good idea thanks...

i plan on buying new gear..im in need of it...since i have none
                            Bungee it in a manner that makes it a bit of a back rest. Makes a big difference after a few hours. So will any extra padding on the seat.

Check out

for deeply discounted overstocks of excellent motorcycle clothing.
                            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                              Bungee it in a manner that makes it a bit of a back rest. Makes a big difference after a few hours.
                              That helps on my current GS, since I have no backrest.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                              X