Headin' out for the Smokies Tomorrow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headin' out for the Smokies Tomorrow.

Leaving tomorrow morning for the Smokey Mountians. Going to be gone a total of 5 days. I'm hoping my 1980 gs850L/G hybrid does well, and I have no reason to believe it won't.

Charging issues have been solved, and it is running well at this point. I purchased this bike for $350 a over a year ago, for the purpose of fixing it up and making this trip. I've had to do quite a bit of work on this bike. I appreciate all the help in getting the "Beast of Burden" up and running.

Scudder

Make sure you take some spare parts with you if it's the first trip. Have fun and make sure we see some pics
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

The Beast of Burden... One hour and counting.

Comment

Have a great trip... And don't forget we expect to see pictures when you get back....
        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

If you're going to be logging on, post where you are and what your destinations are. Maybe I can meet up with you between Boone, NC and Asheville, NC.
          Good luck and ride safe
          Willie
          Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
          '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
          '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
          '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

I am green with envy! I grew up in S.E. Tennessee and absolutely love that area. I am thinking about a trip through there sometime late Summer/early Fall. Good luck and may the motorcycle Gods be with you!

Comment

Originally posted by Scudder View Post
              She looks like she's ready for some hard time on the road. Enjoy.
              Rob
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Have fun and be safe. If you want to get off the slab for a bit on the way down we have in the past gotten off I-65 at the Columbus exit, head east to IN 7 through North Vernon and go to US 421 to cross the river. The stretch of 421 through northern Kentucky is very nice if you have time. The stretch of 129 from south of Knoxville is also excellent.

Assuming you are going to go on the Dragon while on your trip before 9 or after 4 are the best times (less pirates) although midday the freakshow at the gas station can be pretty interesting.

Be EXTREMELY careful in the Dragon, I have seen some of the worst riding skills ever while going through there. Lots of riders with very poor skills, target fixation, blind corner centerline crossing, and semi trucks going by GPS routes and trying to make the corners which they barley can.

28, the Cherahola, and Blue Ridge parkway are other "must do" roads IMHO while in the area.
                82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Back yet?

Any report?

North-South road thru GSMNP open yet? (Was closed when I was there in April. Section of road washed out.)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

If I'd seen this earlier I would have offered lunch. I assume East TN pretty much automatically anytime riders mention going to the Smokies.

Yeah Redman they got that opened back up.
                    -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC
                    DONE!!! Rebuild thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=155564
                    -2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Comment

Made it!

Made it down and back to the Smokey Mountains with only a broken clutch cable. The Beast of Burden (1980 gs850 L/G hybrid) did well. The tail of the dragon was really fun, and was like a 11 mile rollercoaster in which you control the speed. Probably my favorite cycle activity to date. We did see a couple bikes that crashed. One that required and ambulance. The tail is fantastic, but not for sightseers. Could have been quite dangerous if you didn't focus.

Scudder

On the Parkway.

Fixin' the clutch cable.

The Dragon in North Carolina.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2013, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Looks like fun & cool pics.
                        If you find yourself near Cincy and need a rest stop, drop a line.
                        The Mrs & myself are always happy to offer a meal, beverages or guest room to a GSR member!

Comment

Originally posted by Scudder View Post
                          On the Parkway.
                          Fixin' the clutch cable.
                          The Dragon in North Carolina.
                          Looks like the Foothills Parkway (the western section).

I gather you must have had a spare clutch cable.

I don't recall seeing that metal dragon. Is that place right across from Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort. Maybe, that placing being uphill like it is, I did not see it from across the street.

Thanks for posting pictures.
                          What other roads/places did you go?
                          I like NC28 along south side of GSMNP.

Dave

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Right on. Great picture of you fixin' while out on the road trip, a well planned trip includes parts! nice, thanks for posting.
                            Rob

Comment

Yup. I carried all extra cables, old stator, R/R, plugs, fuses, tools. I was totally prepared, and ready for something to go wrong. But.. turns out things went pretty well. I was very happy with the performance of the 850 at highway speeds 70-80 mph. Kept up with by buddies bmw gs1200 with no problem. On the way down through Indiana on 65 the wind was every bad, and we encounters a bit of rain.

Hit some bad traffic through Louisville, and I could tell my clutch cable was going. Made it through Louisville and to the exit to the campground for the first night, the cable snapped. Another buddy was trailering his café race down to ride the dragon, so we loaded the 850 up for the 2 mile drive to the campground. Then I fixed it the next morning before we made the final push to the smokies.

We only had time to be in the smokies for two days. The first day, was through the park along the "little river" (I believe) and then rode the tail into NC and then back again. I could have ridden the tail a few more times but Night was approaching. The next day we planned a ride/flyfishing excursion, but it poured rain all day, and totally blew out all the streams and made riding in the mountains less than desirable. So, we found other activities to occupy our time.

Yup. The metal dragon was where you described it. We parked on that side because of the BBQ. :^) But... we crossed the road and saw all kinds of bikes and people. We got stuck behind a few guys on the dragon's tail whose bikes that looked great, sounded great, but seemed to lack in the cornering and maneuvering skills. Awesome looking bikes however.

Meet some very nice people driving all kinds of bikes. Didn't seem to be the whole Harley vs Japanese bikes deal with these guys. Spoke with some guys from Virginia who were driving a mixture of Harleys, Suzukis and German bikes. They were more about just riding, and not about the other things that really don't matter. One of the guys (the older gentleman) said... after I told him I bought my 850 for $350 and rode it from Chicago...." Some people think $20,000 and 20,000 miles makes you a biker. Not me... (pointing at the Beast of Burden), now riding something like this makes you a biker."

It was a particularly proud moment. :^) I like meeting guys like that, especially if it's my bike they are talking about. :^)

scudder

I've got video of our ride through the tail of the dragon. Pretty cool stuff.

scudder
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2013, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X