Cherohala and other points of interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cherohala and other points of interest

Here is a very tentative route that Scott, Dale and I will be running the 27th & 28th that was thrown together just based on squiggly lines on the map. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and other riders are welcome!

The base is no longer in Maryville but in Sweetwater.

And yes... we're trying to avoid the Dragon...

"Just Ducky, Thanks!"

Where I've ridden.

I would highly recommend taking 28 North off of 441 to 129 and looping back south, You can stop at the store at the foot of the Dragon for the freakshow and trinkets and then head south on 129.

The stretch of 129 South to Robbinsville from the Dragon is highly underated with higher speed twisties and the stretch of 28 North is also very twisty and both are not to be missed IMHO if you are in the area. 28 gets tighter as you get closer to the store.
    82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
    81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
    83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
    06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
    AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Actually, I'm not dead set against the Dragon but want to avoid the weekend freak show. Should I arrive early enough on Thursday or get around early enough on Sunday, I'm not ruling it out.
      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Thanks Tim!

I was goofing around with some squiggly roads and came up with this for the 2 days we'll be running around over there, only 391 miles but 90% curves and mountainous terrain.

If we run this then it will mean both days are a run across the Cherohalla, the roads east of there would be broken up into day one and day two. Gas and food are unknowns as I haven't looked for any yet.

If any of these roads are a bust then someone please chime in so we don't waste our time down there repeating mistakes learned, thanks!
        "Just Ducky, Thanks!"

Where I've ridden.

Comment

I wouldn't mind joining you but I don't think I can get the time off Jim .
          Next year ??????

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Sure Simon! Maybe by then we'll have it all sorted out!
            "Just Ducky, Thanks!"

Where I've ridden.

Comment

Just in case the link doesn't work, here is an overall look, keep in mind we won't run all of those roads most likely in one day, we can split it up over the two days we have to ride down there.

Anyone wanting to join in on this stupidity, er I mean ride... the Days Inn in Sweetwater still has one bed rooms as low as $164.50 for all 3 nights we are going to be there, $178.21 for anyone wanting to split with a buddy in a two bed room.

"Just Ducky, Thanks!"

Where I've ridden.

Comment

Take 129 south out of Robbinsville to where it intersects with hwy 19/74. Turn left. About two miles on the right will be Wayah Road. It winds south and will eventually dump you out on 74 a little southeast of Franklin. On some maps it doesn't even look like it would b a paved road, but it is and with good surface, many curves, lots of tree canopy, and a babbling stream running parallel for a good stretch. It is very popular with local riders and 'those in the know'.

My favorite ride in that area isn't the Dragon or the Cherahola. It is a loop from Robbinsville down 129 & Wayah to Franklin then back up 28 to where it intersects with 129 at the start of the Dragon where I turn left and go back down to Robbinsville on that stretch that Tim has already mentioned. If it is early enough in the day I might turn around and ride the loop in the other direction.

One caveat. Don't ride Wayah too early in the day when you are going directly into the rising sun. Transition from open areas to the the shaded ones is like riding into a big black curtain; you can see NOTHING on the other side until are actually in the shade and your eyes have adjusted.
                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Thanks Don!

I'm still working on the possible routes and will use this info in the planning, much appreciated!
                  "Just Ducky, Thanks!"

Where I've ridden.

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                    Actually, I'm not dead set against the Dragon but want to avoid the weekend freak show. Should I arrive early enough on Thursday or get around early enough on Sunday, I'm not ruling it out.
                    That sounds like an idea. Departure times here all look warm enough to be there in time for some fun.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

What is your departure time?
                      "Just Ducky, Thanks!"

Where I've ridden.

Comment

I was thinking about asking about arrival time and figuring back from there.

I'll continue at the other place, where you're on more regularly.
                        Dogma
                        --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

An "other" point of interest. Not the Dragon.

sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                          2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

You're quick with the camera, Scott. When did you have time to snap those? I Don't remember stopping on that road.

Here's my favorite of the ones I took:

Here's the panorama version, looking south from the the Cherahola Skyway:
                            Dogma
                            --

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Jeeze , that looks like fun .
                              Hope y'all had a good time .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Working...
                              X