Lake Placid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Placid

Was up there for the anniversary, looks like there are some great roads in the area. Any locals who know good routes as the Wifey and I want to go back in the spring for some carving.
    Please post a few highways and starting points, thanks in advance.

I worked just west of there, in Saranac Lake, a few times over the last few years, along with another stint southeast of there, at Glens Falls.

Overall, roads are in very good condition. I enjoyed my time there, but can't really say I would go back there intentionally, especially on a bike. The curves are pretty much just curves. Nothing really spectacular or technical, they just route you around a mountnain or a stream, that's all. The trees are so tall and so close to the road, there is not much scenery to see. There are times you can see ahead when you come over a rise, but it's only straight ahead, through the cut in the trees where the road goes.

Because of the mountainous terrain and the fact that it is all one HUGE state park, there are precious few roads. I went for a drive "around the block" one day, it was over 100 miles long. Really. There was no other road that cut across the "block" that would have shortened the trip.

There are plenty of thins to see and do there, and the roads are not bad on the way, but don't go there for the roads.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i agree with steve. your best bet if you want to bike trip in the adirondacks is to make it a camping and/or hiking trip. you can set up a base and make daily runs to lots of great places, trails, lakes, towns, etc. i did some riding there in september and, to tell the truth, i was more busy watching the road than seeing the sights.

i think the riding was a little better over in vermont.

still, the adirondacks is pretty much my favorite place in the world.
      2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
      82 gs1100L probably the next project
      1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
      1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

It's all true, lake placid is in the middle of the most mountainous part of New York and think of that part of the state as somewhere to pass through on your way to a place known for various local rides, like VT. Lake placid would be a good mid point for you, then about 90 mins to burlington vt, and another hour to some really nice routes in central vt.

Comment

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
          It's all true, lake placid is in the middle of the most mountainous part of New York and think of that part of the state as somewhere to pass through on your way to a place known for various local rides, like VT. Lake placid would be a good mid point for you, then about 90 mins to burlington vt, and another hour to some really nice routes in central vt.

Agreed! 9N along the lake is "nice" nothing bad just nothing to really get worked up over, and it's expensive in NY Take a ferry and cross into Vermont Try 108 near Burlington, google "smugglers notch"
          Try any part of 100 for scenery. Look at a map of 127 or 17 up north.
          Throw it out there when you're planning this if you want some company
          Any excuse to ride up there is good!
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Lake Placid has some good bars/breweries!
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Hurricane road and Epison pond road are ALLOT of fun in upstate NY... I don't know the highway numbers, I think Epison Pond is off of 22 or 9N. Back wood roads in NY are fun. Family is from Hague and Ticonderoga and I know many back windy roads in NY. I know a few back ways to get to Lake Placid from Hague.

And very true Jethro the breweries are very good in lake placid!

See in NY they dug the earth and blew up rock to make sure the roads were as straight as possible.... In VT they just looked at a topical map and said... Yeah lets make this road wind around this hill and that knoll. Hence why the roads are much windier and more fun in VT.

And if I ever do go to Lake placid from VT I always take the Crown Point bridge. (17 I believe in Vt)
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
              Originally posted by Hayabuser
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
              X