It's good work if you can get it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's good work if you can get it!

Cathy and I have a new part-time career.....

Not only do we get to take an awesome tour, we even get paid to do it! How cool is that?

Joe

EDIT- More info.....

By the way, Blue Rim Tours runs tours for RoadRUNNER magazine. They do tours in Europe and South America. RoadRUNNER wanted to start doing stateside tours and has hooked up with my buddy Frank Covucci, who spent ten years as AMA Director of Travel and Tours, to run stateside tours. Frank has been running tours on his own for a few years since the AMA got out of the tour business. Cathy and I have taken quite a few tours with Frank and we have become good friends over the years. I assisted him in running this tour in 2012 and finally got the opportunity to run a tour. We are both very excited!

Thanks,
    Joe
    Last edited by Joe Nardy; 02-07-2014, 11:33 PM.
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Nice gig, Joe and Cathy.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Fantastic Joe, congratulations. Here's hoping you get rich at it well... at least make a living at it. Very exciting stuff.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Congrats.
        Definetly should not be called work. Sounds like fun.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
          Fantastic Joe, congratulations. Here's hoping you get rich at it well... at least make a living at it. Very exciting stuff.
          Well, the pay isn't much and it will only be once or twice a year but it sure beats paying to ride!

Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Interesting people you may meet!

Comment

That looks to be pretty interesting, congratulations.

Is it an every year thing?
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Sounds like it could be either plenty of fun or terrible depending on the customers personalities and abilities. That pic of Krusty looks like he might be a mass murderer though. LOL.

Comment

That just rocks Joe! Wish we were in a position to join you guys on a tour. You are a great ride leader and good (if not reluctant) cat herder so you should be a fantastic tour leader. I know you guys will have a ball on these rides as will everyone who attends.
                  Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                  Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Your tour definitely looks tempting.

Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                      That just rocks Joe! Wish we were in a position to join you guys on a tour. You are a great ride leader and good (if not reluctant) cat herder so you should be a fantastic tour leader. I know you guys will have a ball on these rides as will everyone who attends.
                      Yes, we are both stoked about this opportunity. I've been wanting to do it for over a decade and the fact that Cathy gets to be part of it is just gravy. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Originally posted by jabcb View Post
                      Your tour definitely looks tempting.

Have fun.
                      The tours are great, more so for the participants than the leaders. The leaders have to do a lot of organizing like calling all the hotels and restaurants a day ahead of schedule to ensure everything is set up and take care of any screw-ups. For participants all you have to do is show up and ride. Daily maps are provided and there is a meeting each evening to discuss the following day's ride. Just have a great day of riding, get to the hotel, give them your name, and get your room. We also stay at a lot of cool places like three lodges on the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive which are next to impossible to get during October. There are people who have taken this tour ten or more times. Cathy and I have been on seven or eight tours with Frank and have yet to meet anyone who is a total a$$. We have met more than a few people on tours who are now best friends. It is just awesome to ride for nine days without having to do any planning.

Thanks,
                      Joe
                      IBA# 24077
                      '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Congratulations! It looks like a fantastic time.

Comment

The time is now!

This exciting tour leading opportunity has finally arrived. We're leaving tomorrow for Shepherdstown WV to be there Saturday when the tour members arrive. We'll have a meet-n-greet dinner Saturday night to discuss tour details and begin riding Sunday. We'll be riding for nine days and get back to Shepherdstown the following Monday then come back home on Tuesday. I've been studying the tour book to memorize names and routes. Tour Master Frank will be there this and next weekend to keep an eye on us and see how we do.

This trip is basically free from the time we leave the house tomorrow morning. Frank is picking up all our fuel, toll, and meal expenses for the trip out and back. He's also paying for a new set of tires and my oil and filter change. All the tour expenses are covered and we also get paid for leading the tour. The pay isn't fantastic but it's not chump change either. All included, I figure this to be over $6k in value.

Definitely not bad work if you can get it!

Thanks,
                          Joe
                          IBA# 24077
                          '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

I googled Blue Rim Tours, is it the Appalachian Autumn tour you are doing ? Will there be a link to follow you ? I don't need to ask whether Cathy will be taking lots of pictures and am looking forward to seeing them. Have a great trip.....

We offer motorcycle tours through Europe, Peru, and the U.S. with stunning scenery and THE best riding roads. Truly a motorcycle ride of a lifetime.
                            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                            1983 GS 750

Comment

Never mind. I just clicked on the picture and saw yours and Cathy's pictures. Looks like a great ride....
                              Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                              Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                              1983 GS 750

Comment

Working...
                              X