My ride to Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My ride to Colorado

Me and my 850g left for Colorado Springs last Wednesday September 10th. Watching the weather I decided to leave work early to beat the rain. I didn't hit any rain but I had to ride in high winds and gusts from Columbus, Ohio to Indianapolis. That's when it got really dark and was about to storm. I pulled over and got a hotel for the night. About 325 miles the first day. Day two weather was okay, no rain just a little cool. I only had to ride 350 miles to Farmington Missouri for the GSR Rally. I pulled into the lodge at about 4:00. I checked in had a nice hot shower then met up with all the guy and gals at the hotel lounge. Day three Friday, is the day we rode all over the south east part of Missouri. Beautiful roads! I packed up Saturday and headed out to try to get as far access Kansas as possible. It was a good day. Between Kansas city and Topeka, I kept seeing groups of 4,8,12 police motorcycles riding side by side (I think that's dangerous) At my next fuel stop I saw a cop and asked him what was going on. He said they were coming back from a funeral for a officer that got killed... I rode till sunset about 580 miles. Sunday was a nice day. I only had 335 miles to ride. As I got closer to Colorado springs, I kept climbing from 3200 to 5000 then 6600 feet! The 850 showed no signs of hesitation. I was kidding myself telling the bike "we are not going above 7000 feet we'll turn around"... I made it to my brothers house in time for dinner. I'm going to hang out with him for two days then start my ride back home... Oh, I looked at the GPS 7128 above sea level.
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Norm,

I'm glad you chose to stop by the Dave Davis rally. It was good to see you again. Sounds like you're having a great trip. Ride hard, shift a lot, and be safe!

Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
      I kept seeing groups of 4,8,12 police motorcycles riding side by side (I think that's dangerous)
      I think it's dangerous, too, for most of the people, most of the time.

However, officers train that way, so they KNOW what the other officer is going to do, which reduces the danger factor FOR THEM.

For the REST of the motorcycling population, it is far safer to at least stagger the formation.

Even better is to simply spread out, so other bikes are simply not close enough to be an issue.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I won't ride side by side. Staggered is the way to go for me.

Glad you ride has been fun.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

How is the power deficite at altitude?

When I moved there I was told add 1.5 seconds to my quarter mile time. Never got there!

Comment

I have one more day hanging out with my brother. We're at his mountain home in Divide Colorado, very beautiful. I'm looking at the weather forecast and planning my ride home. It looks like I'll be able to do the Southern route. Head south from Colorado Springs, then over to Amarillo Texas work my way through Oklahoma city, Little Rock Arkansas, Memphis, Nashville, Cincinnati, Columbus Ohio... So far the weather looks to be in my favor(knock on wood) at least it will be warm. I have five day to get home so I won't be rushed, maybe even stop by Graceland...
            My Motorcycles:
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)

Comment

I had a fun day of riding. I left Monument, Colorado early, about 6:00 am. Heading south down route 25 I watched the sun rise to the east and the Rocky mountains to the west, beautiful. I was heading to Amarillo Texas. I went to see "Cadillac Ranch" I can scratch that one off my list. While I was in Amarillo, I had a awesome BBQ sandwich. I did get to ride a little RT66 I'm now in Elk city Oklahoma. I rode about 600 miles today. My little 850 is such a nice over the road motorcycle, it's doing a awesome job...
              My Motorcycles:
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)

Comment

I had a blast once near your route by heading east out of Raton. Some state or county routes twisted their way up to the top of the two big Mesas SE of there, accross the flat Mesa tops, then back down. It was pretty neat. I worked about 60 miles NE of Amarillo for a year, in Pampa. I can't say that the area was precisely a motorcycle Mecca, but it was better than not riding at all.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Just in case, if you get caught stranded before you get home, find Massillon. Garage full of tools if needed and room to work on it.

Just putting it out there for you. Will you be running up 77 at all in Ohio?

Comment

Yesterday's ride through Oklahoma wasn't very exciting. The temperature was warm, but very windy. I did make it to Little Rock Arkansas. I rode only 442 miles. Today will be good. As Paul Simon says "I'm going to Graceland, Graceland, Memphis Tennessee" I'm going to have some Memphis BBQ for lunch, take a walk on Beal street... Then I'll be heading north to Louisville/Cincinnati. My 850, what can I say, that motorcycle is a rock! It is running great, it cruises at 75-80 MPH all day long...
                    My Motorcycles:
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)

Comment

You rode all the way to Colorado Springs and you're not riding up in the mountains?

What's the point?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        You rode all the way to Colorado Springs and you're not riding up in the mountains?

What's the point?
                        +1 - Lots to see and twisty roads to ride.
                        Currently in the Stable :
                        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Graceland is fun. Hope you enjoy it. Be sure and pick up some tacky souvenirs like an Elvis swivel-hip clock, or some of those super-cool sunglasses!

Was great seeing you at the rally and glad your trip is going well. If you need lodging in Nashville let me know. We're about 30 minutes south of there. But sounds like you're heading more northerly. Anyway, enjoy the rest of the ride!
                          Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                          Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

I made it home yesterday from my Colorado trip. Total miles 4028. The highlight of my trip besides seeing my brother sister-in-law and nieces, had to be making it to the Dave Davis Memorial Rally that was great. Memphis was pretty cool too. The part I didn't care for, Oklahoma! First I get ripped off by the hotel clerk. She kept hitting a button, another $89 out of my account. I had to call my bank, they fixed it for me. Also the wind in Oklahoma was real bad. That state just sucks... Colorado on the other hand was great! I did get to do some riding in mountains but only for a couple of hours then headed back to my brothers. Overall the weather was good. A little cool for the first couple of day but it warmed up nicely. I had no rain the entire trip. The 850 ran awesome. A little petcock issue in Indianapolis. I went to put it on reserve, no reserve! I nursed it to the next exit, filled it up and didn't take it off reserve the whole trip. I would have liked a little more horsepower. Going across Kansas, I could have gone 120mph. There is nothing out there. If anyone has any doubts about touring on a Suzuki GS 850G just ask me. It's a wonderful touring machine
                            My Motorcycles:
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                              The part I didn't care for, Oklahoma! Also the wind in Oklahoma was real bad. That state just sucks... Going across Kansas, I could have gone 120mph. There is nothing out there.
                              That goes for Oklahoma, Nebraska and Kansas. At least some parts of Oklahoma are worth being in but Nebraska and Kansas are THE MOST BORING STATES in the U.S.A. and
                              I pity those that are stuck living their. ("If" you can call that living. ) Even Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa and Michigan are not quite as bad. Oklahoma is prime real estate for wind farms BTW.

Comment

Working...
                              X