Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outer banks, NC Trip next week

Hi all,

I'm planning on taking a 2-3 day trip to the outer banks starting next monday the 16th. We are in the Adirondacks now and currently have way too much snow to even think about riding, so we are trailering the bikes down to a friends house in Bethesda, MD and taking them out there. As of now the weather is looking pretty good (~60 F). We are probably going to check out Washington DC for awhile then head east to the Delaware border and ride down through Salisbury and Cape Charles, then into the outer banks. Do you guys have any experience/recommendations for the area?

Two words, "Duck Donuts". Its a donut shop in the town of Duck. I rode to the Outer Banks the summer of 2013. The problem I had was getting on the island, the traffic was stop and go, and it was pouring rain. Now this was in August very busy time of the year. My family rented a house for the week. The Outer Banks is very nice but crowded. I would get up at 5:45am go down to the beach to check out the sunrise. I would then walk to Duck Donuts to get some coffee and donuts. By the time I went back to the house everyone was just waking up. Once I got there I didn't do to much riding. I would definitely go back but in the off season, like your doing... Are you going over the Bay Bridge? That should be fun. Have a fun trip.
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
      Two words, "Duck Donuts". Its a donut shop in the town of Duck. I rode to the Outer Banks the summer of 2013. The problem I had was getting on the island, the traffic was stop and go, and it was pouring rain. Now this was in August very busy time of the year. My family rented a house for the week. The Outer Banks is very nice but crowded. I would get up at 5:45am go down to the beach to check out the sunrise. I would then walk to Duck Donuts to get some coffee and donuts. By the time I went back to the house everyone was just waking up. Once I got there I didn't do to much riding. I would definitely go back but in the off season, like your doing... Are you going over the Bay Bridge? That should be fun. Have a fun trip.
      Awesome! Who doesn't love a good donut shop? Yea we are going over the bay bridge onto the island and then hopefully getting off the highway for a little bit. Riding rt. 50 and 13 the whole way down doesn't sound like any fun. I'm hoping the traffic isn't that bad though, seeing as how it is the off season. Now I'm just crossing my fingers the weather cooperates! I really wanted to check out the Blue Ridge Parkway on the other side of the state but it doesn't look like I'll be able to ride that until the beginning of summer. Oh well, I'm just dying to get on the bike and ride somewhere warm(ish)

Comment

Traffic is starting to pick up, but still nowhere near how it gets in the summer...I prefer to stay on the beach road though Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills, the highway can get a little crowded. But Nags Head south from there is a little better. I'd definitely recommend a ride down to Hatteras, at the very least a trip over the Bonner Bridge, especially on a pretty day. It's freakin gorgeous...40 miles of empty beach and sand dunes. If you do go south- find out the road conditions on NC 12 first...there could be standing water and sand if there have been strong winds lately. Shouldn't be anything to prevent a trip but at least have a heads-up. If you go north, up through Duck and Corolla, you'll ride through some of the only curved roads around, so it can be a little more exciting haha.

As far as things to see/do, definitely check out downtown Manteo on Roanoke Island, Bodie Island lighthouse, and Jockey's Ridge. For things to do at night, there's probably at least a few bands playing around as the bars are opening back up. Check out outerbanksthisweek.com nightlife to see what those'll be!

Hope you guys have a blast and we keep some nice weather!

Comment

Don't forget the Wright Brothers Memorial in Kill Devil Hills, it's a historical MUST. A Junk Yard Dog at Captain Frank's in Kitty Hawk is also highly recommended, and Captain Frank (Yes it's a real guy) has a peanut shop in the little shop village next door. Roanoke Island has a nice aquarium, a really cool Christmas Shop/Art Gallery in Manteo, the Lost Colony historic site, also a dolphin spotting boat ride (if it's in operation this time of year). There's a little dinky printing museum in Nags Head, the Avalon Fishing Pier in KDH, Jockey's Ridge State Park in KDH has a lot of hang gliding plus cool trails to walk in the sand dunes. There are zillions of places to eat, I can't keep track of every place we've been over the years but it's hard to go wrong. My brother lives there and he love The Bad Bean Grille in KDH. Pig Man's BBQ was pretty good when we tried it recently. Awful Arthur's was really good, but I haven't been there in years. Duck has some nice things but I don't go up there much, it's worth a drive through though. Corolla was nice 25 years ago but it's become so built up and crammed together that it no longer interests me. Hatteras is a great place to visit, I haven't done so in years so I should go back.

It is no where near the busy season down there, and even when it is busy I find it bearable for the most part, compared to places on the Jersey Shore. Holidays in the off season see increased traffic due to vacationers, but nothing you need to worry about. Most of all, just get out there on the beach, it's FANTASTIC!

All taken at my Mom's house in KDH.
          Last edited by Allie; 03-10-2015, 07:01 PM.
          "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Nice pics Allie!

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
            1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I bet its changed since I was out there....

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I'll be back out there in may on the Sprint. It's a shame you couldn't make it to the BRP, I know all sorts of good riding here. Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by obxGS1100 View Post
                  Traffic is starting to pick up, but still nowhere near how it gets in the summer...I prefer to stay on the beach road though Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Hills, the highway can get a little crowded. But Nags Head south from there is a little better. I'd definitely recommend a ride down to Hatteras, at the very least a trip over the Bonner Bridge, especially on a pretty day. It's freakin gorgeous...40 miles of empty beach and sand dunes. If you do go south- find out the road conditions on NC 12 first...there could be standing water and sand if there have been strong winds lately. Shouldn't be anything to prevent a trip but at least have a heads-up. If you go north, up through Duck and Corolla, you'll ride through some of the only curved roads around, so it can be a little more exciting haha.

As far as things to see/do, definitely check out downtown Manteo on Roanoke Island, Bodie Island lighthouse, and Jockey's Ridge. For things to do at night, there's probably at least a few bands playing around as the bars are opening back up. Check out outerbanksthisweek.com nightlife to see what those'll be!

Hope you guys have a blast and we keep some nice weather!
                  How long have you lived there Obie? Do you live over by Colington or closer to the beach?
                  "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Thanks for all the great info! It helps tremendously. Do you guys know any great camping spots? We are planning on tent camping because we are poor college students and don't want to/can't spend money on a hotel. We saw there are some places that are open right now, but the national park camping areas look like they are all still closed for winter.

Comment

Allie - I've only lived here for about three years, and I'm just a mile north of Colington on the west side on the highway!..used to live right on the beach road, and I do miss that house haha.

There is a cool hostel/campground back in Kitty Hawk village that you might wanna check out and they're open year-round: http://www.adventureboundnc.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X