Blue Ridge Parkway general questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Ridge Parkway general questions

From CowboyUp: I'll include my replies, and maybe others want to chime in with helpful or sarcastic comments:

Robert,

I was looking through the Blue Ridge Parkway trip pictures you took in 2014 and wanted to ask you about the trip. It looks like you did the entire trip in a week; how long was the actual Parkway ride? Including Skyline Drive, almost 600 miles. Were you able to see everything in those days? Well, most of day 1 I could barely see my nose in front of my face in the fog; I missed Mt. Mitchell because of that, but otherwise, yes, I was able to make a lot of stops.

What's the actual drive like? It varies. Pavement is outstanding, speed limits are low, great signage. It's limited access, like a baby interstate. Immaculate, well-maintained. Reading Brian Wringer's comments to you back then, it sounded like the car drivers are stopping out in the middle of the road a lot. I encountered none of that, but I went in mid-July. Peak traffic is autumn, when the leaves change. Is it a pretty technical ride (I'm still doing some of my own reading) to the point that an inexperienced or even one still somewhat young (about 6 years now) in their riding career should wait to do? Don't wait. Life's too uncertain; eat dessert first. I wouldn't consider it as terribly demanding, skill-wise. Common sense, sure. There are some serious drop-offs that are probably not survivable -- I mean, a major mistake can be a MAJOR mistake. I had no trouble with a Goldwing, so a smaller bike would probably be more fun.

How's the lodging along the route? The hotel pricing I've seen so far lends me to believe it's quite expensive but available. That's accurate, in my limited experience. The most I paid was $115, and that was at the Grand Lodge (Big Meadows?) up in the Shenandoah Nat'l Park, on Skyline Drive. Under $100 everywhere else. Are gas stops pretty frequently available or should I plan on carrying a gas can? Look here: My 550 only is doing about 100 to 130 per tank so I'd need to fill up quite frequently I'm sure and I'm not sure yet how that matches up with the towns along the route. I'm still researching though of course.

I was thinking of taking the trip over a three or four day weekend but I'm starting to wonder if I'd be smarter to make it longer. Were you glad you made it over the weekdays instead? Absolutely. I did my distance stuff (Chicago area to Gatlinburg) on a Sunday so I'd have the whole Parkway on weekdays. I think that was one of my best ideas.

It looks like you ran into some weather on the trip. How did that affect your ride and how long did it last? It seems like it lasted ten to twelve years, but the worst was over in about two days. Did you know you'd hit it before you went or was it a surprise? The wet & chill was no surprise, and I had really good rain gear. I wasn't expecting to drive through a <expletive> hundred-mile long car wash in pea soup fog; that was some of the worst weather I've ever ridden through.

Thanks for helping me figure out my summer trip. I have usually made a second trip after the Brown County one and want to do it again this year but am not sure where to yet. Take the Parkway. You'll be hooked. I'm going again this year, late July. Here's some tempting photos of my 2014 trek.

Will you make Brown County this year? Well, I have to show off my new 650, so I'll be down for at least the Saturday Pizza Ambush and the Sunday morning Epic Breakfast at the Story Inn.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Thank you Robert. I am still very much undecided what to do for my other trip this year as I want to share this one especially with the family. However, I'll need to consider job schedules (both the wife and Charmayne work now) and marching band camp (late July) for both Charmayne and her brother Justin. So I'm just investigating my options - Vermont, a trip just to Gatlinburg, or even coming back up the BRP on the way home from Gatlinburg.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Having ridden both in Vermont and Tennessee, I don't think you could do wrong in either place. Gatlinburg can be a bit of a zoo, especially in July, but the roads are wonderfully twisty and it's very scenic. Vermont is much sparser populated and I think would offer more of a camping / wilderness feel than Gatlinsburg. Gatlinsburg is sort of a destination trip, you get there and explore locally to that place. Vermont you could ramble around the entire state and not have to worry about being tied to one area. Both places were absolutely fantastic to ride in, and it really comes down to what type of trip you want to do. There would certainly be more family oriented things to do in Gatlinsburg, with the Great Smokey Mountain National Park being right there.

Weather is always a factor when out on a motorcycle tour, so some decent rain gear is absolutely essential to bring. That includes waterproof boots, and a spare set of gloves.

I echo Robert, eat dessert first, ride motorcycles often.

Comment

Robert, did you plan your hotel stops before you got there or just 'winged' it (pun intended)?
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          Robert, did you plan your hotel stops before you got there or just 'winged' it (pun intended)?
          I planned them well in advance, and I'm still debating (with myself) the wisdom of that, rather than seat - of - the - pants planning. I guess I'm just too comfort - dependent to risk having nowhere civilized to sleep.
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

BRP is great.
            Smooth, constant radius turns, constant incline/decline, and all.

But do get off of it from time to time.
            The local roads have a different kind of greatness.
            Just about any place will be good.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

BRP is FAR from "technical". Quite the opposite, it is a leisurely SCENIC ride (if it's not foggy).

No need to plan motels on the parkway, just get off at any of the 'exits' and get one in the local town. Same thing for gas, it will be easy to fit into your 100+ mile range.

If you were by yourself, you might be able to do the entire parkway in one LONG day. At no point is the speed limit higher than 45, in a couple places it's a whopping 35, but that is because it's near the lodge, with higher traffic. But with a family along, there are many scenic overlooks and some other sights that are just a short hike away from the road, so you might be lucky to make 200-250 miles per day.

If you do go there on your way home from Gatlinburg, be aware that the highest point on the parkway happens not too far from Cherokee (the starting point of the Parkway) and not too far from that is Maggie Valley, home of the Wheels Through Time museum. If you have seen the "What's in the Barn?" TV show, you have seen a small preview of the museum. Depending on the kids' interest, they will likely enjoy it, I am sure that you will.

Comment

Speaking of Maggie Valley area, I was in that area, south of Great Smokey Mountain NP, a few years ago in mid-late April. Part of the BRP in that area was still not open yet, had not cleared the snow yet from the higher elevation areas.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

A few years back, my son & I did this trip and continued on to The Tail of the Dragon and the Cherihola Skyline Parkway. We never had a problem with gas or traffic (week day tour). The hotels were generally reasonable and the locals were all helpful. The road is in excellent condition and the views are gorgeous! The thing that really saved the trip for us was the weather app on my son's cell phone. Every morning, at breakfast, we would look things over, maybe jump over a valley to get around the storm and come back on course after it passed. We rode down and back from Detroit in seven days, never got rained on but did ride some wet roads. We took my two 30+ year old Silverwings, never had a problem (didn't even have a tip over) and enjoyed the experience. (2,000 mile round trip). We are heading over to the Finger Lakes area this year! Gaitlinburg is a tourist trap. I suggest avoiding it unless you have youngsters that need that type of diversion. Take your time, enjoy the experience, you might not get the chance again.

Comment

Working...
                  X