Charlie's trippin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

][/URL]

Women's sports day (shopping) in South Hampton. Lunch a "Walker House". Good food, service, not so much...

Rainy day at the cottage. Lake is over the trees.

Rock on Rock!

Very windy! Beautiful day.
    Last edited by Charlie G; 09-10-2016, 09:42 PM.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

This is the route I used going home.

][/URL]

Michigan on the way to Ludington to catch the ferry.

][/URL]

Birch trees along the road

][/URL]

Location of bike below
      ][/URL]

81 850 along the side of the road. I stopped and to young guys came out and we chatted. Gave them my card for the site.

][/URL]

Arrived at Lake Michigan

][/URL]

On the USS Badger headed to Wisconsin

][/URL]

Check, lifeboats!

][/URL]

Thanks to Big T and Buffalo Bill for suggesting the ferry. I would recommend it to everyone. Next time I go this way I want to go to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and go through to Sault St Marie.
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
        Next time I go this way I want to go to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and go through to Sault St Marie.
        That's the way I went there and back to Michigan. Actually, SSM on the way there and UP on the way back.
        It's mind boggling how huge Lake Superior is.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I went to SSM one time a few years back and spent most of the day just watching the big ships pass through the passageway . Quite an enjoyable experience for me.
          Looking forward to seeing it again someday.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I was reading thru this again... Regarding tolls... ive done a couple things (as long as I know beforehand im going to have go thru them). Ive gotten dollar coins and stuck them to the tank with blue painters tape for a quick grab and handoff, or taken bills and wedged them between my gauge cluster and trim piece which is behind the windshield and safe from blowing away. Again a quick handoff. Sitting at a toll is a sitting duck, bad feeling in the worst way.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
              That's the way I went there and back to Michigan. Actually, SSM on the way there and UP on the way back.
              It's mind boggling how huge Lake Superior is.
              Huron and Lake Michigan impressed the heck out of me. Couple of days Lake Huron was almost like glass and one day and I swear there were 4 foot waves you could surf. I can't imagine the enormity of Lake Superior.

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
              I was reading thru this again... Regarding tolls... ive done a couple things (as long as I know beforehand im going to have go thru them). Ive gotten dollar coins and stuck them to the tank with blue painters tape for a quick grab and handoff, or taken bills and wedged them between my gauge cluster and trim piece which is behind the windshield and safe from blowing away. Again a quick handoff. Sitting at a toll is a sitting duck, bad feeling in the worst way.
              I keep a clip attached to my clutch cable for money, directions and such. I lost one headed up the coast of Lake Huron. It's work good. Being a west coaster, a toll for highway is strange. Bridges we're use to. Odd change for tolls, dumb!
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g

Comment

][/URL]

Manitowoc, Wi

][/URL]

Rural Wisconsin roads headed to the interstate. Love the barns...

][/URL]

Fond du Lac

][/URL]

Glad I took the time to read this sign.

][/URL]

Mississippi river La Crosse (I-90)

][/URL]

Nice rest area at the Mississippi River, (Free Map)

][/URL]

Motel in Stewartsville Minnesota, rain again.

][/URL]

Prairie in North Dakota

][/URL]

Rapid City, South Dakota. real touristy. Low rates my arse!

][/URL]

I'm really out classed here....
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g

Comment

][/URL]

Wyoming

][/URL]
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g

Comment

I spent the night in Three forks Montana and headed out in the morning Friday for Boise, Id

][/URL]

In the distance are the Beaverhead Mountains.

The Interstate between Dillon, Montana and Dubois, Id is in good condition and traffic is few and far between. The speed limit is 80 mph but I think that is a suggestion for foreigners. I was cruising along in this area enjoying the benefit of Shoei-fm2 faring, resting on my tank bag when I notice a motorcycle coming up on me in the distance in my side mirror. Mind you I'm a bit north of eighty, and this bike making some time catching me. It's a sport bike with cloth bags slung over the seat. He zips by and settles in about 200 yards in front of me. He stays there for 10 minutes or so and then takes off and leaves me in the dust. I say to myself that it's 10:30 in the morning, I've spent the better parts of 3 days on the road in Montana in the last 3 months and have seen one police car. This must be a pretty low priority area...so I decide to keep pace with the sport bike. I stayed with him for a long time till I was almost to Dubois, where I got off for gas. This is what I found at the gas station........

][/URL]

][/URL]

I asked of they minded if I took some pictures. Sure go ahead but we're going to pull over in the lot (so take your time and fill up). Crap these are some nice rides!][/URL]
                    ][/URL]

Every trailer/car/truck I asked if was alright to take photos. Yes said one and all. It was they were on a Woodstock adventure with these fantastic old bikes. They we headed to Bonneville to run the salt flats, traveling as a caravan filled exotic peoples from hidden portions of Montana. A bit like Mad Max meets Woodstock with a bit of 9 to 5 thrown in. They were gathering together to take a picture of the bikes after filling up. I just happened along at the right time. I think I may have passed one of the trailers in the last 50 miles.

][/URL]

][/URL]

][/URL]

][/URL]

This lady told me that going to Bonneville was the most fun she has ever had. They were on their way....

][/URL]

Then I sped off back on the Interstate to meet up with Wallowgreen's son in Pocatello and then on to Boise, where a nice glass on Scotch awaited.....
                    Last edited by Charlie G; 09-18-2016, 02:12 PM.
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g

Comment

That last shot, those guys are from Bellingham Washington. They've set some records at Bonneville.

How did your back tire look after all those miles?
                      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

That last shot, those guys are from Bellingham Washington. They've set some records at Bonneville.

How did your back tire look after all those miles?
                        My chicken strip were over 1 1/2" wide. Not much leaning with all that gear. The tread wear was way less than I thought. I expected to need a new tire when I got home. I think I have a thousand left. Most of the plates I saw were Montana but I didn't check them all. One bike had a sticker that said "Fez Monkeys". I did a search and it led to some "Brit Iron" links. Nothing definitive. There seemed to be air of excitement in the air as though they were just converging here spontaneously. Well maybe a meeting point. I should have chatted with someone beyond asking if I could taking pictures. It made me consider going to Bonneville maybe next year at this time. The last picture I wasn't really able to decide what the bike was. Lots of serious plumbing. I assumed a turbo of sorts. I like to rusted finish on every thing. If I get my 750ed up and going I'm going to leave all the rust, moss and lichen in place. "Survivor Patina" Thanks for the comment...
                        Last edited by Charlie G; 09-16-2016, 12:06 PM.
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g

Comment

Cool LSR bikes! Interesting that the antiques were retrofitted with rear disc brakes. That last and cool rusty thing appears to have some of modernish looking cut up box tube frame - or subframe anyway. Swingarm, and possibly, the forks look modern also.
                          From my small knowledge of Bonneville, they allow for some strange mashups of old and new to allow a vehicle to fit in a particular class.

When you first got it, I was thinking how cool it would be if you kept the 750s look as found. In my mind its already called the swamp thing.....
                          Last edited by dorkburger; 09-16-2016, 12:54 PM.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

][/URL]

There is a beauty here. West coasters would think "Rainforest".

][/URL]
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                              That last and cool rusty thing appears to have some of modernish looking cut up box tube frame - or subframe anyway. Swingarm, and possibly, the forks look modern also.
                              Saw the rusty Super Rat bike today in Bellingham and had a closer look.
                              Yamaha WR 450 dirtbike engine with a mega squirt turbo.
                              Could have the turbo name wrong.
                              USD forks, box section swingarm, partial tube frame, Ankront (sp?) spoked rims
                              Apparently the bike had some issues with carbs, and didn't run right at that altitude.
                              Didn't realize Bonneville was that high up, eventhough I've been there once, guy who helped build it claimed 5500'.

Comment

Saw the rusty Super Rat bike today in Bellingham and had a closer look.
                                Yamaha WR 450 dirtbike engine with a mega squirt turbo.
                                Could have the turbo name wrong.
                                USD forks, box section swingarm, partial tube frame, Ankront (sp?) spoked rims
                                Apparently the bike had some issues with carbs, and didn't run right at that altitude.
                                Didn't realize Bonneville was that high up, eventhough I've been there once, guy who helped build it claimed 5500'.
                                Megasquirt is a DIY Fuel Injection controller http://megasquirt.info/ so they should have been able to get it dialed in with enough time.
                                sigpic
                                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                                1983 GS1100e
                                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                                1980 GS1260
                                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                                X