Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YUM,YUM, fresh elk steak.

Comment

Hey nice pics and sounds like a great trip so far. My wife and I were at Canyonlands, Utah a few weeks ago. Loved it! Spent so much time there that we never got over to the Arches NP. We both thought Canyonland landscape was better than the Grand Canyon, that we both had been to in the past.

Here's a rock outcropping at Canyonlands where we crawled out to for lunch and had a nice close up of the 2k foot drop!

[IMG]
      [/IMG]

You didn't attempt these Jeep roads down with your bikes did you?

[IMG][/IMG]
      Last edited by Guest; 10-11-2017, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
        You didn't attempt these Jeep roads down with your bikes did you?

Haha no - are those pictures from the nothern part of the park? We got into the park via 211 going past Newspaper Rock. Great pictures I wish I was back there now. The Grand Canyon is great but we had Canyonlands pretty much entirely to ourselves - and the views are crazy!
        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
        1977 GS550
        1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
          Haha no - are those pictures from the nothern part of the park? We got into the park via 211 going past Newspaper Rock. Great pictures I wish I was back there now. The Grand Canyon is great but we had Canyonlands pretty much entirely to ourselves - and the views are crazy!
          Yes the northern part going in on Rt 313 about 30 miles, a few miles north of Moab. Are you planning a southern route back to New England? Rt 211 is down by Monticello which is where we stayed at a run down motel because no campsites were available at Arches NP.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
            Yes the northern part going in on Rt 313 about 30 miles, a few miles north of Moab. Are you planning a southern route back to New England? Rt 211 is down by Monticello which is where we stayed at a run down motel because no campsites were available at Arches NP.
            We're back in the Northeast! Have been since September but I am going back through to post pictures. I actually didn't know about the Northern part of the park until yesterday when I was looking at google maps. We had a similar experience where camping in/around Moab seemed impossible until somebody recommended we camp up by Mt. Peale - lots of free campsites just no ammenities - I have some pictures a few posts back.

Oh and no we didn't take our bikes down into the Canyons but we did do some off roading to find campsites!
            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
            1977 GS550

Comment

Wow...GREAT trip guys... great bikes to set out on, also!
              Somehow I missed this thread due to a busy busy summer. You guys are really inspiring me to at least do more 4-5 day weekend trips this next year.
              I wish I had a job where I could take off 4-6 weeks to ride cross country, but I've had pretty "relied-upon" job positions since I was 20 years old. I realized that in 2.4 more years, I get 25 vacation days up from 15 now, so visiting my buddies in Boulder, CO from Ohio, on the 77 GS750 is THE PLAN... Sounds like Canyonlands will be a stop as well.

Thanks a ton for the inspiration. I gotta do this sorta stuff more often before I get too old. Hopefully I'll still be saying the exact same thing when I'm 50 or 55, haha!!!

My buddy just took off work June-Sept to do the same kind of trip on a ZRX1200, Ohio to West Virginia to Virginia to Smoky Mountains, down across the southern states and through the mountains, to Cali, and all up the coast to Alaska... then express route back. I wish I had instagram so I couldve followed his pictures along the way.

I ran I to two guys from up in your part of the states, hung out with them at the Wheels Through Time Museum & Blue Ridge Parkway areas this past May, also doing the same thing, also bought the $80 National Parks pass good for two bikes! Except they were riding very new Harleys, one new Sportster, one white touring Harley with a brand new Harley engine transplant. Can't for the life of me remember their names, but they were in their mid twenties and having a blast!

Keep the inspirational posts and photos coming, fellas. And keep on making more awesome road trip memories!
              Last edited by Chuck78; 10-22-2017, 07:05 PM.
              '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
              '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
              '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
              '79 GS425stock
              PROJECTS:
              '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
              '77 GS550 740cc major mods
              '77 GS400 489cc racer build
              '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                I wish I had a job where I could take off 4-6 weeks to ride cross country, but I've had pretty "relied-upon" job positions since I was 20 years old. I realized that in 2.4 more years, I get 25 vacation days up from 15 now, so visiting my buddies in Boulder, CO from Ohio, on the 77 GS750 is THE PLAN... Sounds like Canyonlands will be a stop as well.

I ran I to two guys from up in your part of the states, hung out with them at the Wheels Through Time Museum & Blue Ridge Parkway areas this past May, also doing the same thing, also bought the $80 National Parks pass good for two bikes! Except they were riding very new Harleys, one new Sportster, one white touring Harley with a brand new Harley engine transplant. Can't for the life of me remember their names, but they were in their mid twenties and having a blast!

Keep the inspirational posts and photos coming, fellas. And keep on making more awesome road trip memories!
                Thanks Chuck!

Definitely go to Canyonlands! My recommendation is that you go in the evening. There is a North and South area (we went to the South) so there is lots to do. Awesome that you're doing it on a '77 GS750, too!

Wheels through time was CLOSED the day we were going by and we were totally disappointed. Ended up trying to go do Dollywood instead which was also a disappointment as we didn't actually have the time to go in.
                1977 GS550

Comment

Very nice! Now which one are you? The short one or the tall one?

Comment

The pics you posted look like they were snapped when the bikes were new. Love the laid back "realness" of them-no pretensions, just two buddies enjoying the simple life out on the road. Your trip is an inspiration to many here.
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by kaufen View Post
                      Very nice! Now which one are you? The short one or the tall one?
                      Post 63...." the tall one"
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g
                      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Day 19: (Sorry for the delay posting)

We didn't wake up super early on August 1st and made a breakfast of eggs, bacon and coffee with the wood we hadn't burned from the night before.

After packing up we set off, with the intention of heading up to the north rim and staying there for a day or two. Couldn't help snapping a few pictures on the way out (I think we might've been a been hungover hence the face)

Saw this badass crow:

We got gas in the park and headed back east on 64, the way we came. It was over 100 today and really windy. Throughout the trip, our normal travel speed was between 60 and 65 which the bikes were happy to do for hours on end, but it today it felt like it was pushing it for some reason. We got passed by several large groups (10+) of Harley riders, most of which gave us a friendly wave as we gave them some extra room to pass. Hitting 89, we backtracked north but passed rt 160 going towards Willow Springs.

This part of 89 was very desolate. The combination of the wind and heat was like a hairdrier and I was glad to have the full face helmet just to protect my face from the heat. Going around a curve, a truck passed and the subsequent gust was the strongest I had ever felt on a bike. A few miles later we pulled into a gas station and Bobby told me he had just experienced the same thing and that it had been the scariest part riding since we left. A french family was hanging out at the table in the gas station which we snagged as soon as they went back to their car. I think we stayed here for about 45 minutes because we were so hot and wanted to give the bikes a chance to cool down. I had a cliff bar and a bag of chips for lunch.

After a few miles back on the road we started climbing a gradual hill which eventually wound up a slightly steeper hill. I pulled off at an overlook and we took a couple pictures of where we had come from

-We had kind of been debating this all day but we opted to skip the North Rim. Looking back now I kind of wish that we hadn't but it was another 80 miles down a dead end road we would have to come back up the next day - which seemed like some kind of trap in our current state of heat fatigue. This had been one of the most desolate couple hours of the trip, on 89 and 89A from 160 to Jacob lake It was hot, windy, miles and miles of (awesome) nothing and few cars. It was a place where if we had broken down, we had no way of looking up numbers/information (no smart phones), no way of calling anybody (no service), and even if we could who would we have called? It would take hours for a hypothetical `tow truck', if it ever came to that, to get there and we had absolutely no way of contacting anybody.

Passing 67s, which leads to the North Rim, we were suddenly in a forest in higher elevation. It was cooler and there was shade and the roads were getting nice and curvy. It felt like we had escaped an inferno into a mountain oasis and I felt a lot more cheerful and lively.

A couple hours later we were in Zion national park.

Of all the places we went, I wish I had taken more pictures here because it was crazy! It felt like we in Jurrassic Park. Riding in was one of the coolest things ever but we were too worn out from the heat/wind to have the patience to stop and soak it in. We headed to one of the campsites (which was supposedly full) and got a spot at the `group camping' area, which meant a gravel lot and a pavillion with picnic tables. When we pulled up there was a single pickup there and a kid a couple years younger than us getting a fire going. I'm forgetting his name at the moment but he had just been away for a few weeks, going to a wedding, an artist residency in Nebraska and doing a lot of national park camping like us. We chatted for a bit, made a run to the store for some beer and hot dogs and came back to make dinner with him. Turns out he was a way better cook than us (and way better equipped) and made a giant cast iron skillet full of roasted veggies and I can't remember what else that he kindly shared with us in exchange for some beers. Had a really fun night chatting and talking about the places we had been before making plans to check out a hike in the morning and turning in.
                        Last edited by sam000lee; 11-08-2017, 09:47 PM.
                        1977 GS550

Comment

Nice pics
                          Next time, a hydration pack is recommended for those hot days. Plus, soaking your T shirt helps for a while
                          Pic #4 is a raven
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I just read through your post and what a fabulous trip. As already mentioned, memories for a life time. Good on ya! I had a laugh at the distance and time frame. I did pretty much the same distance and time on the same vintage of motorcycle once ......except ours were near new at the time. And yes the subject still comes up from time to time.
                            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Day 20:

So I forgot to add in the last post that at the end of day 19, my odometer hit 19,315 miles so just over 4,000 for the trip so far.

The kid we met, I forget his name so I'm going to call him Owen, had told us about hiking the Narrows at Zion. In the morning we woke up, had a quick breakfast, packed up and rode to the shuttle parking lot. It was only after we were on the bus that we noticed everybody was wearing these wierd shoes which we soon found out they had rented from the park and were made for hiking on rocks in the water. We didn't have them so just took our boots of and carried them. We went maybe a mile or two up the Narrows before parting ways with Owen and turning back so we could get a move on.

Our feet were pretty cut up by the time we got back and this cool old motorcycle was sharing our parking spot:

We took 9w out of the park, to 17 to I-15 where we realized that it had been at least a couple thousand miles since being on any interstate. At Cedar City, we turned west again on 56 bringing us into Nevada. It took us up into the mountains and coming down with an open road, I tested my bike going over 90mph for the first time. Thing really smoothes out and sings when you wind it out into the higher RPMs!

Took this somewhere in the desert.

Shortly after passing through Crystal Springs we were on the ET highway:

and about a mile later we saw a sign: "150 miles until next gas" which prompted us to pull over. It had been at least 50 miles since we last got gas but we also had never had to go that far without fuel. My GS750 has a 4+ gallon tank and was getting about 40mpg so I knew I would probably be alright but the GS550 had a seemingly smaller tank (don't know how big it is), but did get better mileage. We decided to go for it but had to double back and head south to get fuel in Alamo.

It was around 6 or 7 and we were loosing daylight. I asked the guy at the gas station if there were any spots to camp along the ET highway to which he responded "anywhere, but I wouldn't go too far from the road without a gun" and then clarified to explain there were mountain lions which we thought was pretty cool. Filling up, we put the bikes on the center stands to make sure we could fill the entire tank.
                              We set of again leaving the "150 miles until next gas" sign in our mirrors. Highway 375 is one of the spookiest roads I've been on. Not only is it long and desolate but theres a basin that catches the light and mist in a very eerie way, especially at the time of day we were there. We only saw a handful of cars before getting to Rachel, NV about 70 miles in and stopping at the Aleinn. There was another couple with their kid in there and we caught it about 35 minutes before close. I got a burger and a beer and we chatted with the very friendly server about area 51 which we had apparently passed the turnoff for about 10 miles back.
                              We didn't really have a plan at this point and it was completely dark by the time we had eaten. Our server told us it probably wasn't a good idea to keep riding since we were in an open cattle field (and we had seen a bunch of cows very close to the road) and gave us the option of sleeping in the back parking lot, so thats what we did!
                              1977 GS550

Comment

I have a friend who transferred to work at Mt. Zion N.P. 7 or 8 years ago and has since bought a motorcycle and wants me to come visit him. It looks really pretty and CROWDED! I almost went last summer but it didn't happen. I guess I'll have to do it next spring.
                                sigpic
                                83 GS1100g
                                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                                X