Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE ECLIPSE!!!! Jedz making the pilgrimage... ANY GSR folks want to put me up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THE ECLIPSE!!!! Jedz making the pilgrimage... ANY GSR folks want to put me up?

So I want to see this total eclipse for I've never actually seen a total eclipse.

My sister and Brother in law live in Charlotte TN and it's about 15 minutes or so from the path of the total eclipse. So 2 weeks from today I'm going! I may ask for sanctuary to any GSR folks willing to let me lay my head down on an over night. I plan to take interstate down and back, might decide to take some back highways for sections of it just because interstate can get dreadfully boring...

Plan to break the legs down and back up into 2 days (4 days of travel total). Will take the Harley down since the Connie is out on loan.

Anyway love to meet up with GSR folks and would greatly appreciate a layover. If someone just wants to meet up and show me a great back road ride I would greatly appreciate that too!!!

See you guys out there! (Hopefully).

-Jedz
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

meh... eclipses aint like boobs, seeing one eclipse is enough for me. Enjoy your trip!

Comment

If you make your way through Central NJ and need a place to crash a night, we've got a spare bedroom. Thats the week of my Daughter's birthday, so we'll be around setting things up for her party on Saturday.

Comment

I'm just a little past your halfway point 60 miles north of Columbus, Ohio. I have an extra bedroom.
        Alan

sigpic
        Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
        Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
        Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
        Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

It's a couple miles extra to swing through the Dayton area, instead of bombing down I-71 from Columbus to Cincinnati, but there is space here, if you desire. It's one heck of a day, though, over 770 miles and 12+ hours. Charlotte is another 350+ miles and 6 hours, not counting the extensive construction traffic on the freeway.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm sitting down and reviewing my route. My Max on the Street-Rod is about 600 miles... Friday is going to be a tough day for I have to work in the AM to close out summer school numbers... I may just do a Hotel somewhere near Cleveland... Trying to figure how I want to attack the 1000 miles...
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I'm in Youngstown, Ohio. Off of Rt90 hit rt11 south. It might give you a good shot to Nashville. Your more than welcome to crash out at my batchelor pad. Or if you do get a hotel along the way, let me know where you're at, maybe we can meet up for dinner. 👍
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Me and my friend are on a trip and had planned on being in Wyoming for the exlipse but that might now work with our schedule anymore so maybe this will work with us! I'll let ya know
                1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                1977 GS550
                1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

In Cincinnati...we've got a spare room (and your own bathroom as well), any GSRer's are always welcome.

Even have a spot in the garage to 'hide' yer Harley
                  Last edited by Notz; 08-05-2017, 07:47 PM.

Comment

I drove through the I40 on my way to Alamogordo, NM back in 2013. You're taking the high road in that map posted...come down south to Delaware and take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to DC loop (I495) through Virginia and then Tennessee. It was a beautiful drive in my Honda Pilot trailing my "T".

In any case, hope it all works out!

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Alright guys, Route is set and Hotels are BOOKED!

So this is the "loop" I'll be doing to catch the total eclipse. I will be completing this journey over the course of 5 days, spending Sunday as a rest day with my family in TN.

Day 1, Friday: Blast out to Youngstown OH where I have a reservation at the Country Inn and Suites. ETA is going to be around 8:30PM. So Storm if you want to grab a late dinner, let me know. I'll likely be to bed early for I will want to get to TN at a decent click Saturday.

Day 2, Saturday: More monotonous Interstate but I will meet up with my Brother in law half way down and will likely get off the 4 lane and do some back highways back to the homestead, ETA is 6:30PM:

Day 3, Sunday: REST may go for a quick ride around the area but won't be doing any crazy miles, 200 miles tops...

Day 4, Monday ECLIPSE DAY! : So I set out first thing Monday morning to head over to the ole' Smokey mountains. Eclipse will be showing up around 11:30 AM through Nashville and 1:30ish at Deals Gap, Yeah I will be rolling through the tail of the dragon sometime around the eclipse. My goal is to be past it though and somewhere on my way to the BRP. We will see. Anyway I'm taking the BRP all the way through NC and plan to lay over in Little Switzerland NC. ETA being 6:30PM

Day 5 Tuesday: Finish up the BRP in NC then cut over to 77 and BLAST all the way up to Hershey PA. I will be going the speed limit the WHOLE time I'm in VA... I cannot afford to get pulled over there! ETA is 4:30PM. Plan to grab a brew or two (or more if there is company) at a local sports bar .25 mile from my Hotel.

Day 6 Wednesday: Last Leg of the journey. But it won't be boring!!! Plan to head up to Deposit NY where I'll kick off the interstate and ride THE CATSKILLS! I plan to take route 30 all the way up into the Adirondack park and then cut over into Glens falls or continue North and cross into Vermont via Crown point Bridge... We will see how I feel. ETA to return home will be 6:30PM.

So I will reach out to some folks that have posted... If anyone is in the general vicinity and want to either join me on the ride or have lunch, dinner or whatever, let me know! I usually like to be on the road at 6:30AM on trips like this and I usually only take 45 minute lunch break...

I'm sure I'll see some of ya around!

Best,

-Jedz
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

You'll be going right past me on your way back.

Comment

Here's an Eclipse......

Comment

Man, I so wish I could take the time off. You do know the Connie will have brand new rubber if you want to adjust the route slightly to pick it up?
                            Currently bikeless
                            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                              Man, I so wish I could take the time off. You do know the Connie will have brand new rubber if you want to adjust the route slightly to pick it up?
                              Hmmm... Nah I'd rather see you actually put some miles on it before the GMR!
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                              X