Outer Banks Area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outer Banks Area?

May be taking a family trip to the outer banks and the wife asked if I wanted to take the bike. Heck yeah! Just to clarify. My youngest is 20 and they are all still living at home. lol So it's not like it's a "Family, watch the little ones at the beach" kind of a vacation. So having the bike isn't an issue. :-)

Would anyone know of any good riding out that way? Google says Raleigh is about 3-1/2 - 4 hrs. I would be looking for just maybe 4 or 5 hour/day jaunts throughout the possible 2 weeks down there. Any good twisty, scenic roads out that way?

Thanks for any insight.
    1983 GS750 E - gone forever
    Yamaha FJ-09 - My retirement Bike (For when I retire)
    1996 Honda XR-600R - a Man's bike
    2007 Suzuki DR 200SE - Oh Yeah
    2005 Yamaha TR125 - Little Man's bike

When would you be doing that trip?
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Only been there one time, when my older son was a newborn, summer of 2001. We, and extended family rented 2 houses on the beach in Duck for a week. It was beautiful. The golf was very expensive. Wish I'd gone to Kittyhawk. Next time. Sorry, don't know much about the surrounding area. Definitely want to go back. Wished I had had a vehicle suitable for driving on the beach, that looked like fun (wouldn't try it on a bike, seen enough Million Dollar Bogan videos to know that's not a good idea).
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
        When would you be doing that trip?
        Not definitive yet, but mid May or so.
        1983 GS750 E - gone forever
        Yamaha FJ-09 - My retirement Bike (For when I retire)
        1996 Honda XR-600R - a Man's bike
        2007 Suzuki DR 200SE - Oh Yeah
        2005 Yamaha TR125 - Little Man's bike

Comment

That's a great time of year to go there.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

I'm headed down to the OBX in a few weeks, we stay farther down, in Avon this time around, in the past I've stayed in Hatteras and also not as far, up in Salvo/Rodanthe. Sort of considering trailering a bike down just to cruise up and down NC12 in the evenings, though I suspect I won't. Also not a fan of the salt mist that rolls in overnight and ends up on everything (like nice shiny metal on a motorcycle).
            Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
            Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

Bring your golf clubs!
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
              X