2022 Motoworks Track Day, Gingerman Raceway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2022 Motoworks Track Day, Gingerman Raceway

Well, I'm a little late in posting this, but there appear to be spots available in all classes still. If you can make it, I highly recommend attending. Soooo much fun. No public road can compare.

The novice class is intended for riders who have never been on track before, and you will spend the morning sessions getting introduced to it by the instructors. Just about any bike in good operating condition will do. I've seen Harleys and scooters in this class, though most bikes are at least somewhat sporty. In the intermediate class, my GS100G doesn't let me down. Not the fastest, but not the slowest either. Normal ATTGATT gear is all that's required, or you can rent leathers if you want to experience that. What I'm trying to say is, there's no excuse to not go, No need to be afraid, either. If you're worried about getting hotheaded and doing something stupid, it's best to train yourself off of that on track, where they always have an ambulance on site. It mostly serves the advanced group.

This is an event geared toward having a good time and developing skills, not competing elbow-to-elbow on a crowded track. Group sizes are kept low so you aren't in traffic all day.

I'll be there with my canopy, and food and some drinks are part of the event.
    Eventbrite - Motoworks Chicago presents Motoworks 19th Annual Track Day At Gingerman Raceway - Sunday, August 7, 2022 | Monday, August 8, 2022 at GingerMan Raceway, South Haven, MI. Find event and ticket information.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

What about umbrella girls? Is it BYO?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Pretty much. Most of the women I see there are there to ride. Not too many spouse and kids show up to spectate.
      Dogma
      --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

No special safety equipment required, i.e. kill switch attached to wrist?
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I believe all your questions are answered in the link in the frist post. Just a street bike in good working order. No special track prep except taping things off. Well, tire pressure, of course.
          Dogma
          --

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Looks like a great opportunity, the only sort of selective gear requirement seems to be that riding pants/jackets need to be able to zip together. Locally our track requires two piece leathers at a minimum.... I really want to do one of these, perhaps it's time to pony up for leathers finally.
            Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
            Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

They can rent you some leathers for the day. Mesh pants and jacket often have zippers, but are not compatible across brands. I had a local alterations shop fix that for me.
              Dogma
              --

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

$250 seems like a bargain.

There is a track day going on just a few miles away from me. It's in conjunction with the Moto America race at Pittsburgh International Raceway.

It is being put on by our friend Nick Ienatsch. This is more of a tutoring program than a all out track day. They do offer more of a track day for the more experienced racers.

The cost of the Champ-street program is $495... I'm sure it's well worth the money. But getting off the 500 bucks is kind of hard to do. We'll see.
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I actually just rolled in. I have not ridden track in a couple years at least and I haven’t ridden the bike I brought in just as long. Hopefully it won’t rain!

I’ve ridden here with you guys before, my handle on the forum was “truth” at that time but I guess it got purged due to inactivity.

Comment

Hey Brandon! It was good catching up with you again. Maybe next year I'll see you in the intermediate group?

What an epic day yesterday turned out to be. The forecast said it would be wet all day, but we never got more than a faint sprinkle with a nice comfy overcast and breeze all day. As a result of the forecast, attendance was low and the track was never even close to crowded. The last session of the day we started with maybe 5 bikes. I noticed a little moisture on my visor about the time I started seeing the corner marshals with the rain flags. After that, I never saw another bike. I actually had the whole track to myself for about half the session. I'm not sure what scared everyone off, since the pavement was only just maybe barely starting to show some moisture. Even the riding coach on his race slicks could have stayed out safely, I think.

I had actually managed to work myself up to looking forward to working on some wet pavement skill. I guess I can put up with a full day of a dry and nearly empty track.
                    Dogma
                    --

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Working...
                    X