Big wiring problem, general 1100 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big wiring problem, general 1100 questions

I got a 82 1100 gk recently. I always wanted a 1100 or 1150. I dont know if it runs. I took the right front cover off and turned it easily with a socket. It has the compression when you go from tdc downward. I did to revolutions. It has oil. It allegedly was running 6 months ago. The young guy bought it,rode it, had problems with it not running right. Took to mechanic.mechanic said problem was in harness. The kid hacked into the harness. Butchered it. Also it was a gk. Now its a no k. No fairing,bags, radio, no tour stuff. He put a nice set of daytona handlebars with nice mirrors and separate instruments up front.the rear tail section is removed.aftermarket tail and signal lights. I like his choice.he removed rear inner fender, cut the seat down to unch thick. I like mods but all the wires just about have been cut. And many connectors are off. I will buy a used harness but the harness supplies one side of the connection, the bike compnents supply the other half.those ones are gone. I found an 850 g with intact harness both sides.can those be transplanted? BUT before all that I need to know it runs. The solenoid is still in the correct place. I need to hotwiree it and see if it runs. With a new battery and key turned to ON nothing happens. So all the wires from battery to regulator to ign switch to handlebars to solenoid must be disconnected. If i take a wire from pos post of battery and touch it to post of solenoid, and black wire from solenoid is grounded to engine it should turn over but not start right? Or bypass solenoid and hook wire from battery to starter where solenoid should be making connection and other ground post of starter to the engine block or frame will turn motor over,right? I really want this bike to run.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

If the engine is free there are three reasons it won't start, fuel, air or spark. If it doesn't even turn over electrical is at the head of the list.

If you cant find a replacement wire harness and want an electrical upgrade consider converting to Motogadet's M-Unit.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

I have seen that motogadget item. If all my wires are in total disarray how do I know which ones to put under the location for the gadget device. The device says put left signal wire "here" but if my wires have been so messed with how do i know which too put in the spot on the M device?
      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Sounds like a bit of a mess. Any chance you checked the clutch safety switch and wire? Most are bypased by now, but its worth a check.
        As far as the solenoid, if you hit it with power from the battery and ground the other side it should crank. Personally I'd probably go to the negative on the battery insted of the engine for grounding in case theres ground issues on the bike. (Safety glasses recommended)
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
          I have seen that motogadget item. If all my wires are in total disarray how do I know which ones to put under the location for the gadget device. The device says put left signal wire "here" but if my wires have been so messed with how do i know which too put in the spot on the M device?
          Trial and error, the m-unit is very forgiving just make sure it's grounded well. With the m-unit only a single wire is required for each function, a ground wire.

If you go the Motogadget route it's best to forget almost everything you know about oem wiring, it doesn't go back to the way it was motgadet is a far simpler system. I was continually confused combining oem switch gear with the M-unit, it'll work but it's needlessly complicated trying to combine the two systems and you lose some of the benefits of the m-unit using oem switches, it's best to ditch the oem switch gear and use momentary switches. I finally tossed my switch gear in a bin and spent $100 for momentary switches from China, works great.

Before you make the M-unit conversion have a look at my project thread efe rebuild on Oldskool.info maybe it's more than you want to get into. I'm an electrical novice so it's doable by anyone.

Comment

The link does not allow without permission.

V
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Yeah, you have to have an account on OSS to view the forum post Wyly linked. Fortunately, I remembered the login I created there a while back. Great write-up Wyly. Looking forward to seeing that bike finished. Maybe you showed us pics already and I don't remember.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                The link does not allow without permission.

V
                Then ask for permission, join the oldskool forum combined with the knowledge of this forum there's massive amount information and know how. The various projects on OSS are great guides to overcome build issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                  Yeah, you have to have an account on OSS to view the forum post Wyly linked. Fortunately, I remembered the login I created there a while back. Great write-up Wyly. Looking forward to seeing that bike finished. Maybe you showed us pics already and I don't remember.
                  Thanks the bike was sort of finished (there are pics on OSS) but then I tore it all down to paint the frame and rebuild the engine and as it was stripped down an opportune time to convert to Motogadget. I don't think it'll ever be done I've always got new modification ideas popping into my head.

Comment

Working...
                  X