Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the reason for limiting photo uploading to one per post?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the reason for limiting photo uploading to one per post?

Just curious. I wonder if it is a similar reason to locking down both Technical sections. Cost of storage space?

Yes, cost of storage.
    If you want to know how most of us post full size, nice pics, multiple (max limit is again 10 images) on the forum, not just links or thumbnails that have to be clicked on to enlarge, you can follow the write-up I made about using Imgur & Flickr in my signature.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 08-01-2023, 07:37 AM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks. Odd, If you try to minimize the Bytes uploaded, it complains it needs at least 15...

Comment

As Rich said, you're best option is to use something like Flickr or Imgur
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

It costs around $1000 bucks at least ( a month), when every thing is working right, and no I.T. is involved to run a forum I administer, and I don't get paid. We have a benefactor who pays all the bills for us. We actually only allow pictures that are uploaded straight into the forum, and it is so image based, many people let their accounts close, then the threads appear with no photos. Those threads are deleted as I come upon them. Pictures takes up a lot, and I mean, a lot of memory. We allow 10 pics per post, but as I said, we have a benefactor who owns 100's of forums, and he happens to like ours. It has nothing to do with motorcycles, and I believe it would be improper to post or give out a link. I just wanted to state, it's not cheap, and it's not just a matter of hiring an I.T. and putting in a new hard drive, you could, depending on who you use, have to buy a new server blade, and it could get real expensive real quick.

Advertising is a way of raising revenue, and we tried that. Our brief experience with "Facebook" lead to "DNS" attacks, and we had to end that quick. That nearly wiped out our forum completely, we lost 1000's of files. I had 80% of them backed up on my personal hard drives, 8 Terabytes worth, and had to upload them manually. I wouldn't do it again. Running a forum that has no advertising, and relies n it's members is tough. I am appreciative of this forum. If I had an income that would allow it, I would donate, but I don't. My disability eats up any discretionary funds I have. That's why I have to fix everything I own, or lose it. I'll never be able to buy a new bike or car. I don't think I'm alone on this. I do appreciate what is being done though.
          Last edited by Suzukian; 06-19-2023, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
            We actually only allow pictures that are uploaded straight into the forum, and it is so image based, many people let their accounts close, then the threads appear with no photos. Those threads are deleted as I come upon them.
            Guilty. This is my third account. Doing a search for my older account, indeed most has been removed.

Comment

Space necessitates this. I actually wanted to get of rid of all threads over 5 years old, but the forum wants to keep them because of the information, build threads, and the links they contain to many rare sites that can be found through the "Wayback Machine".

Comment

It's all about storage but you can also increase this one. I agree pics and videos consume more storage but still, sometimes we need to upload more than a pic its fine if we never upload a video but at least have to upload multiple pics.

Comment

Again, It's possible to post multiple BBCode links in a single post, from an Imgur, Flickr, or other hosting site that allows you to copy the BBCode. Here's 10 pics in one post. I'll use the Imgur Large Thumbnail size, which is typically plenty big enough to enjoy in a forum post and to illustrate the point. I'll typically use the Huge Thumbnail size if I want the the pic to fill the width of the forum post.

(I tried to post 20 pics but got an error that the max was 10, so evidently the max allowable is again 10)

[
                  Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 08-01-2023, 07:35 AM.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

With XNViewMP, you can bring up a lot of pics in one windows, take a screen shot, load that from the Clipboard into XNView MP, and the multiple pics will show as one pic. You can resize the picture to meet forum standards.

I've been using ZNViewMP for over 10 years. It' s the best free photo management and manipulation out there and it's completely free.

XnView, one of the best and popular image viewer. It allows you to view, manage, resize and edit your photos.

Comment

Originally posted by joequesmith View Post
                      Just curious. What is the reason for limiting photo uploading to one per post?

​ Cost of storage space?

SHort answer: Yes.

When you "upload" the pic, you are then asking the GSR forum/server to store the picture image file for you.

If you store pics on a service such as say, Imgur or PhotoShack or something, then that service is storing the photo file, and then the GSR forum just displays the image..

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Another option for storing/linking images is to get a personal website. A simple site just for displaying pages and holding files with no transactions does not cost much more monthly than a photo hosting account and can serve more functions.

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                        80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

It's possible that locking down both technical sections could be attributed to factors such as cost of storage space, security concerns, or a desire to control access to sensitive information. Understanding the specific reasons would likely require insights from the administrators or moderators of the platform.
                          JTWhatsapp

Comment

Originally posted by Emily View Post
                            It's possible that locking down both technical sections could be attributed to factors such as cost of storage space, security concerns, or a desire to control access to sensitive information. Understanding the specific reasons would likely require insights from the administrators or moderators of the platform.
                            JTWhatsapp

Good first post Emily and welcome to GSR. Yes, being on the smaller side as forums go. We do keep things on a tight budget. The forum is ran solely by members donations.
                            Which brings up, where do we stand financially? Do we need to do another donation drive??
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Would be a good first post if Emily wasn’t a Bot.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                              X