Used parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used parts

I'm currently having shifting issues on my gs750e and I found Parts online for a T and a G and I was just wondering if that's going to cause any issues is there anything I should watch out for while doing stuff like this or should I keep it all in the same trim level I apologize in advance this is all new to me
    1982 Gs750E

Helps to know what year your 750 E is and what specific parts you’re looking at. If you put your bike info in a signature, you’ll never forget to write it and no one will have to ask to provide the answers you need.

And by the way, welcome to the forum.

and there were no 750 G’s in the US.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me the bike is at 82 and it used to belong to my dad but it's been sitting for a very long time I tried riding it and I just couldn't get it to shift so doing some research I seen that it could be the shift drum the forks some bent rods or maybe something not lined up right among I'm not too sure what I'm going to need but while I was on eBay I noticed that there's a lot of people selling bulk items that have most of those parts in there I'm just trying to be as prepared as I can be I just hate waiting for stuff to get here also that's a good idea how do I add a signature
      1982 Gs750E

Comment

This thread will show you where to go to and what to check to make sure you’re seeing others’ signatures and avatars and to create your own.

Before you go throwing random shifter parts it, try getting the bike caught up on some regular maintenance, first of which would be to change the oil filter and oil with a suitable 10w-40 motorcycle oil that is rated JASO/MA or many of us use Rotella T4 15W-40. It’s diesel oil. That part doesn’t make any difference. Your bike won’t shift happy if your oil is no good. You may find that after years of the clutch pack sticking together, that the plates don’t want to pull apart when you pull in the clutch.

Your engine is the same TSCC 16 valve engine as in the 80-82 750E & L and the 82-83 750T models. Only some small differences in head to valve cover bolt patterns between some of those years.
        Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-10-2024, 12:10 AM.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Did an oil change on the bike today what came out didn't look too bad it almost looked unused same with the filter really wasn't sure about brands so I just took an educated guess I've attached some photos unfortunately still no luck it still kept popping out of first a couple of times I got it to stay but the highest it would go is second gear I let it run for a while and tried to get it nice and warm but I ended up scratching my head what do you think the next steps should be maybe drain the oil and check out the basket and clutch? I can get it to hand shift through the gears when the bike is off but I still have to rock it back and forth not sure what that means thoughts?
          1982 Gs750E

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            1982 Gs750E

Comment

The oil is correct.

In case you have not already located these resources, let me point you to some info you should have first before you continue on with working on this bike. I see you've created a signature. Excellent. I'll assume you can see mine. The first link in my signature is to Bike Cliff's Website, where you'll find a factory service manual you can download, and a supplement specifically for the 1982 GS750 E & T models. It covers some things in finer detail than the big book.

Before draining oil and removing the clutch cover and clutch pack, I'd make sure the clutch cable is properly adjusted. I know you'll find info on proper adjustment of the clutch cable, first coarse adjustment at the lower fitting on top of the engine case, then fine adjustment at the lever.

If cable is adjusted properly, and you want to get into the clutch, you'll want to have a new gasket on hand. Chances are yours is original and won't survive. OEM gaskets are best IMO, and last I looked, still available from wherever you by Suzuki parts. I like either of my 2 local dealers and online, lately I like partshark.com.

These are all my opinions and nothing more. I don't know everything about this engine, but have been through most of it, some of it more than once. See my linked Destroy-Rebuild threads.

Here's a link to my clutch thread. You may find it useful.
              Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-10-2024, 03:50 PM.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

One thing, you can lean the bike over to the left and you might get away with removing the clutch cover without draining the oil.
                I've laid them almost down when I'm really cheap :-)

If that bike sat a long time the clutch plates are probably sticking together causing shifting issues or not being able to find neutral.
                Current:
                1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
                1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
                1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
                1998 Chevy C2500
                1999 Rav4

Comment

This is perfect the info on BikeCliff's site is what I was looking for I did check the clutch cable it should probably be replaced just had some spots where it was worn through but it was properly connected and it wasn't binding up the links and threads are convenient too so that's definitely going to help and yeah thinking about it I guess laying the bike over on some tires or something like that might be helpful I was hoping to tear into it today but I had to pack we're going on vacation but it'll be the first thing I do when I get back I'll definitely keep you guys updated thanks for everything so far ​
                  1982 Gs750E

Comment

You’ll get there. When you get back we’ll work on punctuation. Take a breath. Add a period or a comma once in a while. Separate ideas into paragraphs. We’re not grammar Natzis, but a little effort in that regard helps us readers want to follow your story and offer help. We can work on posting pictures too. Yes, I have a link for that as well.

Thats all just friendly advice. Mostly we’ll work on getting your bike on the road, by diagnosing issues before just throwing parts at it. There’s a lot of smart people on the forum (not me) and an archive of every conceivable issue with a remedy. I’ll throw one more thread at you. This is actually where everyone who is new to these bikes should start.
                    1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                      You’ll get there. When you get back we’ll work on punctuation. Take a breath. Add a period or a comma once in a while. Separate ideas into paragraphs. We’re not grammar Natzis, but a little effort in that regard helps us readers want to follow your story and offer help. We can work on posting pictures too. Yes, I have a link for that as well.

Thats all just friendly advice. Mostly we’ll work on getting your bike on the road, by diagnosing issues before just throwing parts at it. There’s a lot of smart people on the forum (not me) and an archive of every conceivable issue with a remedy. I’ll throw one more thread at you. This is actually where everyone who is new to these bikes should start.
                      https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ewbie-mistakes
                      All of that was nicely said and accurate.

Excellent advice.

GSNub....welcome to the forum!

Rich.....I may also need help as I never got past pun tuation.
                      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Hey all

Okay back from vacation and I have this clutch ripped. First I should apologize if it was hard to follow along. I get a little lazy and I use the speech to text feature and you're right it's not good at proper punctuation. Okay so I found a couple of things while I was in here but not sure if any of them are a big deal. First there was one clutch spring Bolt that was different I'm assuming somebody had this apart and they might have stripped out the hole. But all the bolts were at the right torque spec at least to loosen them. The second thing I found rather didn't find was the little band that was supposed to go in the groove that's notched out for the inner clutch. I'll attach a photo. But that's where I'm at right now I'm going to keep digging.
                        1982 Gs750E

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.
                          1982 Gs750E

Comment

I'm wondering if I'm missing pieces to this clutch? The photo that I uploaded is exactly how I found it what's supposed to be after the band that sets in that Groove? It looks like there should be a another metal plate then this cup-shaped ring then the back plate. Could that be the cause if that's right?
                            1982 Gs750E

Comment

Working...
                            X