Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help! 1981 suzuki gs450l cam caps binding

Hey Guys,

I am in the process of finishing up my almost 2 year long project of rebuilding of my GS450 and have hit a brick wall! I completely tore down EVERYTHING and painted the motor and I’m stuck on trying to torque down the camshaft caps. This bike uses highly polished cam surfaces and ride in aluminum guides (no ball bearings) and they’re all in their correct orientations (A,B,C,D) but when I try to torque them down, they start to bind up and then can not rotate the camshafts freely anymore. I’ve tried to tighten the bolts evenly and I’ve tried one at a time (2 bolts per cap / 4 caps total) but nothing seems to want to work. When I do one side at a time, some caps get completely tightened down (both bolts), but then other caps still bind no matter what order I tighten them down in. I’ve heard that there are specific torque sequences, but with only 4 bolts per camshaft, the options are limited. I’ve even tried to tighten everything down without the shims on the valves (incase something was pushing weird on the camshafts preventing them from rotating) and still binds. All these problems are happening with both the intake and the exhaust camshafts. You don’t think that I warped the head at all by baking it in my oven at 350° for 20 mins. to cure the engine enamel do you? I did that to the cases and everything else went back together perfectly.

Have you ever heard of this problem or know what might be going on here? I can’t find anything online and anybody else I talk to about this just says “I’ve never heard of that”…UGH! I have a Clymer manual and of coarse, they don’t go into any detail on the caps…they just say to put them on…just like huh?!?!
    Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2014, 01:12 PM.

You need to move this thread into the 2 cylinder engine thread- that way it will get more attentionASAP
    So did everything turn ok before you dismantled engine?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Oh ok I will put this on the 2 cylinder thread then. Yeah it was a perfectly fine running motor before with 15K miles. I just wanted to clean up the motor and replace the seals and piston /rings just cuz it's apart. I never thought I would have a problem like this...

Comment

Just copy your first post and dump/drag it in the 2 cylinder engine forum. Since it turned before,it will again!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X