Remove Off Topic from New Posts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pedda View Post
    I got the feeling that the off topic area is more or less the most frequented area around here. Which is quite remarkable on a bike related forum. It always used to keep me from visiting this site as often as I use to visit others. Just to much ballast to filter through. My suggest would be: make the Off Topic area a restricted section in the first place -admission on application, like the Bible Study Group - and kill two birds which one stone: Clear up the forum plus avoid trouble by offensive irrelevant posts. Dunno how internet laws are in America, but on my side of the pond the keeper of a website is responsible for what's been posted and therefore has to keep an eye on the content. Keepin' it dark in a closed section might be the answer.
    If you don't want to see whats in the OT section, just don't go into it. It's your choice to or not to. Pretty simple really. There are subjects in the OT that I have no desire to look at, so I just don't click on them.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
      If you don't want to see whats in the OT section, just don't go into it. It's your choice to or not to. Pretty simple really. There are subjects in the OT that I have no desire to look at, so I just don't click on them.
      Yes. But there are subjects that you DO desire to look at.

And then the usual suspects come in and ruin it. With the same shyte everytime.
      Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
      1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

The only thing I would miss from the OT section are the non P/R ones. Somebody's family is sick, talk about torpedo heaters, etc.. Unfortunately people have to wade thru the muck to read about the important things in life.

Something I've thought about recently: if a member on the GSResources doesn't post for so long, their account is removed. I think it would be nice if members that didn't post anything about motorcycles for the same amount of time could have their accounts removed as well.

Just my opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
          The only thing I would miss from the OT section are the non P/R ones. Somebody's family is sick, talk about torpedo heaters, etc.. Unfortunately people have to wade thru the muck to read about the important things in life.

Something I've thought about recently: if a member on the GSResources doesn't post for so long, their account is removed. I think it would be nice if members that didn't post anything about motorcycles for the same amount of time could have their accounts removed as well.

Just my opinions.
          +1

Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
          1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
            I think it would be nice if members that didn't post anything about motorcycles for...(a certain)...amount of time could have their accounts removed as well.

Just my opinions.
            Couldn't have said it better, Big Rich.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider View Post
              Yes. But there are subjects that you DO desire to look at.

And then the usual suspects come in and ruin it. With the same shyte everytime.
              Nature of the beast. When you have an open OT, gotta take the good with the bad. If a particular thread starts to degrade, I just don't go back to it. I think if Frank or whoever has to start a constant watch over the OT, pretty sure they would just dump it in a heart beat.
              Last edited by mrbill5491; 11-15-2014, 02:49 AM.
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Seems like you didn't get my point at all - maybe I expressed myself wrong. Fact is, you can't help being swamped with OT posts as soon as you look at new posts. I did that again today - five pages of news, nearly half of it OT. Before I can decide which is relevant for me, I have to have a closer look at it. Filtering through that is very time consuming and annoying. Not as simple as "just don't click on it." Seems there are others on here sharing that opinion.

Meanwhile I sent a pm to the administrator to have me removed from OT, but he didn't have the time yet, obviously...

Comment

No More OT For You

^^I feel your pain...about sifting through all the new threads. Heck, I don't even look to the right of my smartphone screen to see which area the subject is located. I've learned to glance real fast at what's relevant to me but that's not something you feel is something you have to do.

Until it is removed from your profile, happy sifting.

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Or you don't click on New posts at all and just through each section...much simpler sifting as you are only hitting the areas you really want to review
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Never felt swamped, I run through the thread titles real quick, if I see something I wanna look at, I click on it, see something i don't have an interest in I don't click on it and go on about my merry way.
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Blacking Out The Friction

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        Or you don't click on New posts at all and just through each section...much simpler sifting as you are only hitting the areas you really want to review
                        YES!

Perfect recommendation. Click on FORUM and go to the Specific Area(s) for which peaks your interest...

GS Owners
                        GS Stories
                        Electrical/Ignition
                        2/4 Cylinder Drive Train/Clutch

These are the ones I target. Click on the section and all the new threads are at the top.

Never felt swamped, I run through the thread titles real quick, if I see something I wanna look at, I click on it, see something i don't have an interest in I don't click on it and go on about my merry way.
                        It's a learned technique and not everyone can tolerate skimming. I read lots of emails/technical data at work so skimming is something I don't mind doing.

OP, do what you gotta do but for now there are some suggestions for you.

Ed
                        Last edited by GSXR7ED; 11-16-2014, 08:54 AM.
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I very rarely log in when I'm here, so I don't see the OT forums.

I live in the technical forums mostly, and occasionally I look into the 'other' forums.

I only log in to see photos in a given thread, or to make a reply or post photos of a project I am working on in an applicable thread.

Nice and peaceful that way.
                          Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

I must have turned my 'new posts' option off in my profile a long time ago because all I get when I sign on is the forum top page.

But I do have a suggestion for those who would want to retain the new posts option but reduce the amount of OT posts that appear without dropping that forum altogether. You can put individuals on ignore and not see their posts. A high volume of the OT posts are generated by a relatively few members. At any point in time take note of those who post a lot in OT but not the tech or travel forums and just put them on ignore. You can do that completely on your own without involving Frank and I am sure that would achieve a lot of what you are seeking.
                            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                            80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Easy Options With OT

^^When this post first came out, my top page would open in "New Posts". Since then, my opening page is the Main GSR page...and I didn't change any of my settings. I'm glad it's like that now so I have the option to view newest posts based on categories.

I don't use the "ignore" option and only select the threads that interest me. It helps to skim the thread title and see who initiated it.

Ed
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

I had Frank remove OT from my account. No regrets.
                                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                                X