New Carbs for a 1982 GS450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Carbs for a 1982 GS450

Ok so let me give you a quick history of this particular bike. I bought it with 6000 miles, great right? No, the guy I bought it from "cafe'd" it out, aka cut out the air box, put pod filters on it, cut the pipes just after the header bent, stripped down the electrics, ect. Needless to say it was awful, he didnt rejet for the changes and the bike ran terrible. I found an old airbox, put the correct air filter in it, replaced the pipes with nos 1979 GS450 pipes, they are slightly larger then the stock pipes but they fit with only slight modification. I rejetted the 34mm butterfly vulvae Mikunis, but to be honest these things are ****ed, with all the heat the motor was building when the previous owner was riding they just cooked the carbs, floats were warped, gaskets are trashed, there just not worth rebuilding.

Now this brings me to my current state, what carbs do I replace them with? I was told to look for 35mm round slide Mikunis, (I build racing mopeds, 2-stroke 50cc's, I use the VM and TM 18mm-24mm Mikunis on all of my bikes) but I have no idea which 35mm Mikuni to use or where to find them? Maybe you know which carb to use and where to find them? If that isn't the ideal carb to go with, I'm more then open to advice! Thanks in advance for the help.

the heat from the motor wont "cook" the carbs, strip them, dip them and rebuild them with new O rings and then set them up properly and they will work fine.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

With any carbs other than stock, the airbox might not fit properly. I put carbs from a 89 GS500 on my GS450, and the mouth of the carbs is a larger diameter and they were more narrow front to back. I think Mikuni VM carbs would have the same problem.

Comment

Stock carbs for your bike were (are) Mikuni BS34's

Go through this tutorial to get them spot on...

Here is a generic manual for the GS-400 series bikes, go to page 161 for the exploded diagram...

Comment

Working...
        X