Daylight savings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daylight savings

Whatta yall think, heard it was being voted on.

It's always been so I'm not sure if I'd like getti g away from it..

Most people I know don't like daylight saving and want it to end?

I don't know about that but I have strong opinions on ending daylight robbery!
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

65% of the people in our country live paycheck to paycheck, what leads you to believe that they've been saving daylight? Heck, I've got at least 20 hours of daylight stashed, problem is there's no way to access it when I need it. It'd be nice to be able to hit the ATM when you've got a blown out tire in the middle of nowhere just before twilight. What is the solution? Maybe this could be incorporated into blockchain technology someday....
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

We had a vote on it a while ago and the public approved it.... The Premier says the only way we'll do it is if California, Oregon, and Washington do it too ......
        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

I want "noon" and "midnight" to roughly* correspond to their meaning... "daylight savings time" is for saps. Saskatchewan has it right. "Standard Time" all year. I told the premier that too but I fear the hoi polloi want DST all year. And then in December they will moan again when the kiddies need flashlights to go to school.

(* yes, I know observer's longitude + equation of time make real "noon" a slightly-moving target ...)
          Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-17-2022, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I guess the states tried it before and it didn't go to good?

I'll have to read article later, I'm still at work, only have a few minutes to troll the forum...lol

Comment

DST a massive depression in the fall and a perverse euphoria in the spring.

as to wanting noon to be noon? wtf are you saying? High Noon? Sun at its zenith dies not equal 12 o'clock

Then there's Koestler with darkness at noon and the need to reckon Roman time keeping Noon being the Ninth hour after dawn or maybe sunrise not sure
              and hours of varying length depending on the time of year
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Cipher, I'll explain.My Objection DST is an arbitrary shift that breaks the 12:00 /noon trope apart. 1:00 is not halfway around a clock.
                Halfway through a day and halfway round a clock ...12:00 is a compromise between mechanical motion of springs and gear VS orbital mechanics. But the the average time IS 24 hours "noon to noon". Halfway between sunrise and sunset and halfway 'round the clock agree in general parlance and do also on average. If you live on one side or the other of a timezone you might not agree but timezones are another subject.

Per "timezones" it's oft mentioned that before them, people in different towns set their own clocks. Yikes or not. I can Guess how they did it....seeing as there were plenty of surveyors around who could spot "noon" mighty easy. or a stick in the ground gets you pretty close. Mainly, I'm fairly sure nobody said, 'shortest shadow" it must be 1:00"!

"noon" is when you can take your latitude by the angle of the suns zenith. On a clock, the time is not always 12:00, but it's as near as you can get it on average if you want the middle of the clock to agree with the middle of the day.

Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-17-2022, 05:25 PM.

Comment

I remember wishing for one more hour of hockey time after school, would have loved it. And now I won't need to get up at 2AM to change all the clocks!
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

We're supposed to be ditching DST in the EU now, but I've heard nothing about it recently. If it were actually happening I'd expect it to be all over the media for this year.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Just in case your bubbly optimistic self was getting the upper hand as the days lengthen here is another new thing to worry about.
                      The sum of the tears in the World is a constant.
                      I feel relatively safe as I stopped winding the watch forward in spring many years ago.
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

It seems the biggest complaint, around here, is the changing & having to adjust to it twice pr. yr. I'd vote for splitting the difference, back it up 30 min. & never change it, that way the standard folks get kind'f 1/2 what they want & the daylight folks also get kind'f 1/2 of what they want & never need to change it. I admit changing 1/2 may be confusing at first.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Whatever time is chosen it should be coordinated with the rest of the world. Don't lose/gain an hour crossing a northern/southern border. Don't lose/gain two hours crossing into the next time zone.
                          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                            Whatever time is chosen it should be coordinated with the rest of the world. Don't lose/gain an hour crossing a northern/southern border. Don't lose/gain two hours crossing into the next time zone.
                            That would be a rather untimely occurrence. LOL
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Well let's see here. If we REALLY wanted to go through the effort of getting the entire world to accept a system of measuring time then how about going to Sidereal Time? That way the folks around the world that base thier calenders around different sun, moon and star cycles could more easily make the switch.

Then, try getting everyone to co-ordinate thier daily life around a schedule where you begin and end your activities about four minutes earlier EVERY DAY. We could truly the have the vision of equality that was inspired by reading books written by Alvin Tofler between rounds of cleaning the seeds out of bags of pot on the back of Moby Grape album covers like people did in their dorms back in '69.
                              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
                              X