Looking for the GS that got away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for the GS that got away

Sorry all, I really wasn't sure where to post this, but I could see telling it to a bunch of bikers around a campfire, and who knows, maybe, just maybe, I could learn the fate of my old girl, Big Blue.

See, when I turned 17, a touch over 10 years ago now, I had been riding bikes for about three years, starting with a 49cc gy6 Chinese scooter, and moving up to a 150cc gy6. They were both blasts, and I enjoyed the rides I got to go on with my grandfather, following his Yamaha V-Star Classic 650. At that time, my grandfather gave me a price range, said he'd buy me a cheap used bike. I hunted local classifieds and craigslist ads around Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, and ended up upon a 1983 Suzuki GS650L. (What I would later come to learn was fully a GS650GLD ) It was the best bike a kid could ask for, besides a clutch that slipped on a hard pull, though I'm certain it saved me from myself a few times. I put about 1000 miles on it before the engine locked, taking the tranny with it. My grandfather hauled it to Kansas City, Missouri, and had all the drive system replaced, and I lost count of the miles I put on it after that. I had done several things to it, having the stock air box removed, pod filters installed, carbs rejetted, rebuilt, and resynced. It really woke up the old gal! I never really got to put too many more miles on her after this though, as life got too crazy. She went with me in the back of my truck, bouncing around place to place, all over the country, and then I fell on truly hard times, in a border city known as Texarkana, Texas, where I was forced to choose between losing a lot of things I had only just started to establish in my life, and my bike, and so away the bike went, to a pawn shop, of all places... It wasn't that I didn't love Big Blue, it was honestly just a hard time in life. I've gone through a lot since that day, back in what I believe to be sometime in 2015 if memory serves correctly. I'd give up so much of what I have now to have that bike back, and I pray at night hoping someone, somewhere, is giving her the life she deserves...

Perhaps this story rung a bell with somebody. Maybe you or a buddy were around Texarkana in 2015-2016 and ended up with a 1983 Suzuki GS650GL with a blue on silver paint job, pod filters, and a matte black trumpet exhaust. She had a rather unique paint job, as far as I know. This is the most recent picture I had of her, taken in mid 2014, Moody Air Force Base, Georgia. I'd love to know where she is today, as well as hear your stories of long lost love.

Sincerely with love,
    NickyTheHippy

IMG_20140806_200449.jpg
    Last edited by NickyTheHippy; 06-25-2022, 10:07 AM.

Thanks for posting your story. Hope you find her again someday.

I too sacrificed my first GS for a chance at a better life ( paraphrasing your story)
    I needed to get out of Albuquerque as I had a job offer in Macon, GA. This was my shot at getting out of restaurant work and joining the Boilermakers' Union. At 18 years old I jumped on the opportunity. It never crossed my mind that I could have ridden the bike there in a couple of days. I got $1000 for it which bought the plane ticket and covered living expenses for a short while.
    Mine went to a friend. It was a 1981 GS850G, exactly like this one, backrest and all.

Since that day in March of 1992, I've regretted selling this bike. Life moved in a drastically different direction after that and I never heard from the buyer again. I have purchased three GS's since then, two 850's and an 1100L, but they can't fill the void created when I sold this one. The one I have now is pretty nice, but it's just not the same.

Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
      I too sacrificed my first GS for a chance at a better life ( paraphrasing your story)
      Since that day in March of 1992, I've regretted selling this bike. Life moved in a drastically different direction after that and I never heard from the buyer again. I have purchased three GS's since then, two 850's and an 1100L, but they can't fill the void created when I sold this one. The one I have now is pretty nice, but it's just not the same.
      As a now backyard mechanic/engineer, I really felt the last line, it's just not the same. In the loss of that, I have actually set out to build a whole custom 1972 Suzuki TS-90, using a drivetrain of my choosing, so I've been working away at that over the past 10 months, but it really doesn't fill the void left by Big Blue.

Thank you for the reply. It actually helps to know I'm not alone in this feeling!

Comment

I'm in a different part of the world... NJ, USA, so the chances of my finding your bike are minimal.... but I feel your pain. I sold the nicest bike I've ever owned to keep my current bike. That was back in 1999. I still have the ES, but I miss that E and often wonder of its whereabouts.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          I'm in a different part of the world... NJ, USA, so the chances of my finding your bike are minimal.... but I feel your pain. I sold the nicest bike I've ever owned to keep my current bike. That was back in 1999. I still have the ES, but I miss that E and often wonder of its whereabouts.
          In the few years I had it, it went from Missouri, to Kentucky, Gerogia, back to Kentucky, and finally to Texas, where I had to give her up. I'd believe it's just as likely to still be in Texas as it is to be in New Jersey!
          I can say, the two replies I've gotten so far truly show how long this feeling is going to reside within me.

Comment

Long shot, but got nothing to lose... Good luck... Oh yeah, Welcome.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              Long shot, but got nothing to lose... Good luck... Oh yeah, Welcome.
              I figured if anyone has an old GS, they'll be on this forum. This isn't really my first time being here, but I could find none of my previous account info, coupled in with the fact that it was almost 10 years ago, my old posts are buried. I know I did an intro, as well as looked for diaphragms for this bike in particular before, but that was long ago.
              But yea, what does it hurt to ask? lol

Comment

If you have anything with the VIN on it and you got a cop friend have him or her run the VIN. If its still registered aywher in the US itll pop up. Now its not exactly "legal" for said cop to give you the now owners info, but lets just say they write it down and dont realise the ACCIDENTALLY dropped that piece of paper and you find it.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  If you have anything with the VIN on it and you got a cop friend have him or her run the VIN. If its still registered aywher in the US itll pop up. Now its not exactly "legal" for said cop to give you the now owners info, but lets just say they write it down and dont realise the ACCIDENTALLY dropped that piece of paper and you find it.
                  Heh, I don't have the best run with any member of any law enforcement. That being beside the main point, I've dug through so many documents, and have come to find I have nothing with the VIN on it, sadly.

Comment

chuck, I love your style... Just wondering if co. court clerk (where we get our plates, not sure about other states) or Dept. of Motor Vehicle could help with VIN?? We know they surely have the old records of all vehicles you've owned. Probably could help, not sure if they would help.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

all you can do is ask....no harm no foul. Ive had cop buddies of mine look up last registered owners on bikes ive bought.
                      Last owner and address is a good starting point.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Same sort of thing here... Had the '80 GS750L in college (30 yrs back). Sold it. Regretted it. bought another one last fall.

Old bike.

Photo673536103651_inner_114-355-645-359-126-676-642-680.jpg

Newer version is black though.
                        Attached Files

sigpic
                        1980 GS750L

Comment

Working...
                        X